(OT)Farenheit 9/11

So, I rented it this weekend.

Let me preface this by saying

1. I am not a huge political buff

2. I am American so I scrutinize everything

3. I am a registered active voter

Here's what I saw.

A great open-ended film that leaves anyone with an open mind questioning Bush's priorities a little bit more.

MM has the ability to question our direction on certain ideals we hold valuable in a massive media format. I applaud him for being able to do this.

Being from Rochester I am very touchy about government pulling the wool over our eyes and trying to justify large spending for no reason. We have a fast ferry here that the local area spend around 35 million on that ran for 3 months. It now sits at the dock waiting to be repo'd because it was losing money. There was never a business plan or any proof that it was going to be successful. If you are from the area you know as well as I do that we need a hell of a lot more than a Ferry for this city. When did the government become able to do what they felt was necessary for the people without incentive or a plan? When did it become OK to made decisions without hard proof given to the people who run and drive this country?

Will it change the outcome of the election. I doubt it. If you have a voting interest at all then more than likely you have already made a decision about who you are voting for. Even when it was released in theaters people pretty much knew which was they were going to go.

I voted for Bush in 2000 because I felt he was a better man. But, honestly after watching the crap I have over the last four years.....I will not be voting for him this year.

Does this mean I'm going to vote for Kerry? Hardly. The guy is a puppet who doesn't have the balls to lead the greatest country in the world.

We need a leader folks. One who can speak English and doesn't appear to be a bullheaded, wasteful, rich daddy's boy or hide behind a phony smile and can't really give any useful answers to why he should be president.

Who this leader is....well, I have no idea folks. We need a Joe Torre. Not a Terry Francona(Kerry/puppet) or Larry Bowa(Bush).

Well, this probably should be in PPP.

Here's what I saw.

A great open-ended film that leaves anyone with an open mind questioning Bush's priorities a little bit more.

MM has the ability to question our direction on certain ideals we hold valuable in a massive media format. I applaud him for being able to do this.

Being from Rochester I am very touchy about government pulling the wool over our eyes and trying to justify large spending for no reason. We have a fast ferry here that the local area spend around 35 million on that ran for 3 months. It now sits at the dock waiting to be repo'd because it was losing money. There was never a business plan or any proof that it was going to be successful. If you are from the area you know as well as I do that we need a hell of a lot more than a Ferry for this city. When did the government become able to do what they felt was necessary for the people without incentive or a plan? When did it become OK to made decisions without hard proof given to the people who run and drive this country?

Will it change the outcome of the election. I doubt it. If you have a voting interest at all then more than likely you have already made a decision about who you are voting for. Even when it was released in theaters people pretty much knew which was they were going to go.

I voted for Bush in 2000 because I felt he was a better man. But, honestly after watching the crap I have over the last four years.....I will not be voting for him this year.

Does this mean I'm going to vote for Kerry? Hardly.  The guy is a puppet who doesn't have the balls to lead the greatest country in the world.

We need a leader folks. One who can speak English and doesn't appear to be a bullheaded, wasteful, rich daddy's boy or hide behind a phony smile and can't really give any useful answers to why he should be president.

Who this leader is....well, I have no idea folks. We need a Joe Torre. Not a Terry Francona(Kerry/puppet) or Larry Bowa(Bush).

74325[/snapback]

First, yes it's on the wrong board. Second, are you going to base your vote on some propoganda stevestojan movie by a person who isn't even an American citizen? :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: M. Moore you fat, lying bastard.

Michael Moore on Americans:

"They are possibly the dumbest people on the planet... in thrall to conniving, thieving, smug pricks.

"We Americans suffer from an enforced ignorance. We don't know about anything that's happening outside our country. Our stupidity is embarrassing. National Geographic produced a survey which showed that 60 per cent of 18-25 year olds don't know where Great Britain is on a map. And 92 per cent of us don't own a passport."

yes, let's all give this guy some of our hard earned money...because you know, he REALLY cares about us

First, yes it's on the wrong board. Second, are you going to base your vote on some propoganda stevestojan movie by a person who isn't even an American citizen?  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: M. Moore you fat, lying bastard.

74328[/snapback]

1. People have made their decisions to vote on worse sources, ever seen an election add?

2. What difference does citizenship make? If it's true it's true, if it's false it's false.

3. Don't believe the hype on either side, do your own research.

Of all the "info" in that movie here's what I find most disturbing. The people who voted for this war aren't willing to enlist their own children.

When are Barbara and Jenna going to enlist?

Both parties suck and suck hard.

Of all the "info" in that movie here's what I find most disturbing.  The people who voted for this war aren't willing to enlist their own children. 

I find it more disturbing that people think it's parents' responsibility to force their children into the armed forces.

When are Barbara and Jenna going to enlist? 

74356[/snapback]

When the volunteer. :w00t:

Here's what I saw.

Does this mean I'm going to vote for Kerry? Hardly.  The guy is a puppet who doesn't have the balls to lead the greatest country in the world.

74325[/snapback]

I suggest that if you are really interested to balance things out, then you should spend an additional $4.60 to rent the rebuttle movie. FarnenHYPE-911.

Look there is n mistake about where I am politcally, but if you are really someone who saw MM ovie and thought that it was thought provoking, please at least do yourself the favor of watching the film I suggested. It is eye opening to those who follow MM like mice follow the piper.

Then after you have seen them both, your choice will at least be based on all of the facts.

Good luck.

I agree, it's much easier to send other people's children.

Nobody is "SENT" anywhere. The U.S. Army is VOLUNTARY. By supporting the war or any other military action, Im not "sending" other people's children anywhere. Just like Im not "sending" my neighbor who is a cop into a crack-house in Bed-Stuy.

And by being a U.S. taxpayer, Ive done all that is required of me to have any say on this issue at all.

Nobody is "SENT" anywhere. The U.S. Army is VOLUNTARY. By supporting the war or any other military action, Im not "sending" other people's children anywhere. Just like Im not "sending" my neighbor who is a cop into a crack-house in Bed-Stuy.

And by being a U.S. taxpayer, Ive done all that is required of me to have any say on this issue at all.

74383[/snapback]

That's a pretty convenient "out clause" you've come up with. I hope it helps you sleep better at night.

I agree, it's much easier to send other people's children.  ;)

74377[/snapback]

So you believe that the military should be all-volunteer, except for the children of people in command, who should be drafted?

I guess the NYFD shouldn't have been sent into the WTC, either, since Guilani didn't force his son to be a fireman. :w00t:

Wait a second.....

Besides paying taxes, what else does one need to do in order to be able to be in favor of the war and own the right to discuss it?

You DO understand the concept of the 1st Amendment, taxes and a volunteer Army, right?

So you believe that the military should be all-volunteer, except for the children of people in command, who should be drafted?

I guess the NYFD shouldn't have been sent into the WTC, either, since Guilani didn't force his son to be a fireman.  :w00t:

74406[/snapback]

Tom,

You're smarter than this! You don't find any irony in the fact that our representatives have ONE fricken child currently serving? You don't think that the vote on the war would have gone differently if there were a couple of hundred children of our representatives serving? When was the last time you saw a Senator or Legislator wailing and screaming on a sidewalk in Washington because they just found out THEIR child had been killed?

Support the war, send your own kids!

Tom,

You're smarter than this!  You don't find any irony in the fact that our representatives have ONE fricken child currently serving?  You don't think that the vote on the war would have gone differently if there were a couple of hundred children of our representatives serving?  When was the last time you saw a Senator or Legislator wailing and screaming on a sidewalk in Washington because they just found out THEIR child had been killed?

74424[/snapback]

So now the only people who can command the Armed Forces are the people who have family serving in them? Uh, OK.

I understand your sentiment and agree that our representation doesn't do a good job looking at the whole picture, but the "soundbyte mentality" that you're using doesn't hold water.

So now the only people who can command the Armed Forces are the people who have family serving in them?  Uh, OK.

I understand your sentiment and agree that our representation doesn't do a good job looking at the whole picture, but the "soundbyte mentality" that you're using doesn't hold water.

74432[/snapback]

Ya know what Darin, I'm not sure what I believe anymore. I can't trust the parties, I can't believe the news and there's so much partisanship that it makes me want to move to Canada.

All I know is this:

We are at war and supposedly fighting terrorrism. The reason we went to war has been proven false. American boys and girls are dying at an alarming rate and it disturbs me greatly. I've got friends and neighbors serving in Iraq and they're telling me that it's an absolute clusterf*ck over there. I'm not sure if Bush plans on invading Iran, North Korea.......

I want sudden massive change...more change than one election is going to bring.

Ya know what Darin, I'm not sure what I believe anymore.  I can't trust the parties, I can't believe the news and there's so much partisanship that it makes me want to move to Canada.

All I know is this:

We are at war and supposedly fighting terrorrism.  The reason we went to war has been proven false.  American boys and girls are dying at an alarming rate and it disturbs me greatly.  I've got friends and neighbors serving in Iraq and they're telling me that it's an absolute clusterf*ck over there.  I'm not sure if Bush plans on invading Iran, North Korea.......

I want sudden massive change...more change than one election is going to bring.

74471[/snapback]

Welcome to the dance, paahdnah.

Regardless of which of these buffoons wins the election or which of these groups of criminals controls the legislative arm, we will continue to head down the path towards the government our Founding Fathers were willing to give their lives to escape.

Tom,

You're smarter than this!  You don't find any irony in the fact that our representatives have ONE fricken child currently serving?  You don't think that the vote on the war would have gone differently if there were a couple of hundred children of our representatives serving?  When was the last time you saw a Senator or Legislator wailing and screaming on a sidewalk in Washington because they just found out THEIR child had been killed?

74424[/snapback]

Irony? No. Seems to me like an accurate cross-section of America. Pick any 500 American families at random, and I'll lay odds that on average you'll only find one or two that have children serving.

Plus...I still don't see what it has to do with the parents that their children didn't volunteer for service. Again...what are you trying to say? That congresscritters who don't force their children into the military are irresponsible or incapable of doing their jobs? Why is it bad that the concept of an "all-volunteer military" also applies to the children of elected officials?

Irony?  No.  Seems to me like an accurate cross-section of America.  Pick any 500 American families at random, and I'll lay odds that on average you'll only find one or two that have children serving.   

Plus...I still don't see what it has to do with the parents that their children didn't volunteer for service.  Again...what are you trying to say?  That congresscritters who don't force their children into the military are irresponsible or incapable of doing their jobs?  Why is it bad that the concept of an "all-volunteer military" also applies to the children of elected officials?

74479[/snapback]

I think the point is that if the Congresscritters had family that could be involved in the conflict they might think twice about endorsing a war fought under suspect rationalizations. I do agree, it's foolish to think about anyone in Congress "sending their own kids to war" in the sense that soldiers have generally entered the military of their own volition. Moore made a stronger point in pointing out that often, people who have entered the military have done so to escape the clutches of poverty, and in a place like Flint it's one of the ONLY ways to do so. I can't recall the last time Bush mentioned the poverty problem; it's one he'd like to ignore.

Regardless, the military is a government program with its pluses and minuses, and obviously those who enter it should understand they CAN be put in harm's way if the country requires it. The question was, did the country really require it in Iraq more than any other place on earth? And if so, why were the people up top not more vigilant in their preparations for a postwar insurgency?

That, sir, is a global view of things that the left will never, ever, ever, ever understand.

74663[/snapback]

IE September 11 gives us our government license to do whatever it feels like, with justifications that can change with the wind, and without proper planning if necessary. Never mind the real threats.

I'm sorry, did Iraq attack us? 

Perhaps we should invade Saudi Arabia!

74970[/snapback]

Whether the reason for extending the "War on Terror" into Iraq is proven to be false or not, that doesnt change the fact that EVERYTHING in the Bush Doctrine comes out of what took place on Sept 11.

I'm sorry, did Iraq attack us? 

Perhaps we should invade Saudi Arabia!

74970[/snapback]

Or Pakistan...since they supported the Taliban and al Qaeda FAR more than the Saudis did.

That's such wonderful logic: "Two-thirds of the hijackers were Saudi - therefore the whole country attacked us." The House of Saud is probably about as responsible for 9/11 as the Clinton administration...

Or Pakistan...since they supported the Taliban and al Qaeda FAR more than the Saudis did. 

That's such wonderful logic: "Two-thirds of the hijackers were Saudi - therefore the whole country attacked us."  The House of Saud is probably about as responsible for 9/11 as the Clinton administration...

75014[/snapback]

So we attacked Iraq????.......BRILLIANT!

Over 1000 dead U.S. troops and ZERO WMD's. Yup, that was a good call. How exactly does that help us get the guys that were behind 9/11?

The logic on this board is mind boggling.

That's such wonderful logic: "Two-thirds of the hijackers were Saudi - therefore the whole country attacked us."  The House of Saud is probably about as responsible for 9/11 as the Clinton administration...

75014[/snapback]

Just leave the House of Saud standing and attack everyone else. They are such nice leaders. I am sure they won't mind after all you would only be obliterating only 20% of the total Saudi wealth... Basically, everything would remain in tact.

Better yet, just use the Neutron Bomb... Again, the House wouldn't mind... Afterall, they are such nice leaders.

Maybe, we can put them on Sesame Street and teach them to share?

:lol:

So we attacked Iraq????.......BRILLIANT!

Over 1000 dead U.S. troops and ZERO WMD's.  Yup, that was a good call.  How exactly does that help us get the guys that were behind 9/11?

The logic on this board is mind boggling.

75023[/snapback]

Oh, I'm sorry...we were talking about Iraq? I hadn't realized...since one of you pea-brained bobbleheads YET AGAIN BROUGHT UP SAUDI ARABIA!!!! I thought that was the topic...

Christ...the logic behind going into Iraq is 1) specious, and 2) no more ridiculous than shouting "What about Saudi Arabia! We should attack Saudi Arabia because the members of al Qaeda that were backed by Pakistan are Saudi citizens!" Nothing more satisfying that replacing reason and critical thought with a heartfelt knee-jerk reaction, is there? :lol: