Donte Whitner

DDD

I like Donte Whitner. There is no doubt he is a great leader and a vocal guy you want on your team. I think he is a good not great player however. Maybe it's just me but if you draft a safety at #8, he'd better be a Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, or Kenny Easley type difference maker. Whitner is not that type of player IMO.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After two seasons, it would be hard to call any safety the next Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott. In his first two seasons however, I think Whitner has so far proven worthy of the #8 pick. He's solid on the field, and solid off of it. If he continues to progress the way he's trending right now, he is capable of being one of the league's better safeties.

I like Donte Whitner. There is no doubt he is a great leader and a vocal guy you want on your team. I think he is a good not great player however. Maybe it's just me but if you draft a safety at #8, he'd better be a Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, or Kenny Easley type difference maker. Whitner is not that type of player IMO.

i may never get over passing on ngata in that draft. however, whitner is one of those picks that 7-10 years later you realize was a great one. a second year player hosting team meetings at his house is un heard of. won all sorts of academic awards in college, character rating is off the charts. with more beef up front his play has a chance to improve from sound to great. many of marvs moves look better in retrospect.

Whitner is a great player who is poised to have a breakout year. He hits like a hammer and is terrific in run support. With an improved defence we should see him make more plays on the ball and become a bigger factor in pass defence. He has gotten better each year. At least he's played better than Huff.

After two seasons, it would be hard to call any safety the next Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott. In his first two seasons however, I think Whitner has so far proven worthy of the #8 pick. He's solid on the field, and solid off of it. If he continues to progress the way he's trending right now, he is capable of being one of the league's better safeties.

dont you expect more from the #8 pick in the draft then just a solid player on and off the field?

I like Whitner but not at #8, especially since we all know the Bills wont resign him when he's a free agent....Ngata was the right pick and would have made more of an impact on this defense

how many times is this topic going to be debated....and Ive probably posted about it everytime

Why can't you have some love for our solid players. He's not a superstar but he is solid to great. Just because he was drafted #8 does not mean he has to become a star. When will people learn this Jebus Christ!!!!!!!!!!

Go to wikipedia and type in NFL draft............look at the drafts of the past 10 years and pro bowl players will be highlighted. Some of those players some of us have never heard of.

I'll take Whitner as a solid player over a Mike Williams ( receiver and Left tackle) anyday. Better to be a solid starter with potential, than a freakin bust.

It makes me mad when we bash our front office for not bringing in players and at the same time bash the good players we have for not being good enough. I really dont care who is on the field as long as they punch the other team in the mouth and play with passion.

Why can't you have some love for our solid players. He's not a superstar but he is solid to great. Just because he was drafted #8 does not mean he has to become a star. When will people learn this Jebus Christ!!!!!!!!!!

Go to wikipedia and type in NFL draft............look at the drafts of the past 10 years and pro bowl players will be highlighted. Some of those players some of us have never heard of.

I'll take Whitner as a solid player over a Mike Williams ( receiver and Left tackle) anyday. Better to be a solid starter with potential, than a freakin bust.

It makes me mad when we bash our front office for not bringing in players and at the same time bash the good players we have for not being good enough. I really dont care who is on the field as long as they punch the other team in the mouth and play with passion.

I think thats what happens with fans that don't know much about the team or care to learn.

When it comes to Whitner, I'm beyond happy with him at SS/FS.

When it comes the Bills, I trust the front office to make the right moves, the coaches to play the right players, and I expect the players to play their asses off. And when they don't do that, I expect it to be handled accordingly. Thats what "real" fans should believe. I do scratch my head at a lot of the things this team does, but it is my team and our team, so why not trust them.. if you can't, cheer for someone else.

Well, that's what you hope for, but if every 1st round pick turned into an above average starter, with a little help from free agency and with your 2nd round picks turning into at least average starters, you would have a good team overall. Throw in a little "luck" with late round picks, and off to the races.

Could we have done better than Whitner, sure. But we could have done a helluva lot worse too.

If the players in the other 21 starting spots played to the level that Whitner does, we'd have a 12-4 to 14-2 team capable of beating the Pats and Colts on a regular basis.

Whitner is not what's holding this team back.

On that note, how many players play to his level, whatever that is? I'd say on defense Schobel has, but he seems to be at a career crossroads and in the back nine of his career. Otherwise I'd say no one on D or O besides Evans whose being held back by offensive coordination and QB issues. McGee brings it on STs as does Moorman. I didn't count Stroud because he hasn't taken a snap for us yet.

I like Whitner's game alone better than Huff's, who went #7. Throw in the leadership aspect, and the Bills got the best safety in the draft.

Before the draft, I thought Ngata would be the pick, to shore up the defensive line. However, safety was an OBVIOUS need, as evidenced by the fact that BOTH starting safeties in Sept 2006 were drafted in April 2006. Also, as we all know, the NFL is a copycat league. Teams saw the impact that a guy like Ed Reed had on the Ravens defense. Bob Sanders was coming into his own in Indy. At the time of the '06 draft, the Steelers were coming off a Super Bowl win. Everyone saw the impact that Polumalu had and the versitility he brought in transforming a good defense into a championship defense. If the Bills brass decided they were looking for a player cut from that mold, I'm okay with that.

I find it comical that people ALWAYS reference Whitner's draft slot when evaluating him. So if they picked him at #16, he'd be good? But since they got him at #8, he's not that good? I don't understand.

As I see it, the Bills got a solid, durable player with great leadership skills, who has been on the field for nearly every snap since day 1. What's wrong with that? There were so many holes to fill on that defense in '06, would it really have been worth it to draft a DT who plays only 60% of the defensive plays, rather than taking a potential impact safety in a league where safeties were becoming increasingly valuable???

I'd take Whitner at #8 tomorrow.

I find it comical that people ALWAYS reference Whitner's draft slot when evaluating him. So if they picked him at #16, he'd be good? But since they got him at #8, he's not that good? I don't understand.

BINGO! I couldn't agree with you any more. The amount of criticism laid on teams for where they take guys has gotten pretty ridiculous. I hate when Mel Kiper and other draftniks, say "I really liked INSERTPLAYER but INSERTTEAM drafted him 4 spots too high". The game of drafting has overtaken the whole point of it, which is to get the player you want.

If the players in the other 21 starting spots played to the level that Whitner does, we'd have a 12-4 to 14-2 team capable of beating the Pats and Colts on a regular basis.

Whitner is not what's holding this team back.

On that note, how many players play to his level, whatever that is? I'd say on defense Schobel has, but he seems to be at a career crossroads and in the back nine of his career. Otherwise I'd say no one on D or O besides Evans whose being held back by offensive coordination and QB issues. McGee brings it on STs as does Moorman. I didn't count Stroud because he hasn't taken a snap for us yet.

Not liking Jason Peters so much? :D

Mind blowing post, thank you for this great gift.

It's not just you since many, many fans have major misconceptions of what 'should' be achieved from a player picked high in the draft. The reality is that Whitner has easily justified(at this point) his #8 selection.

I'll cut & paste a previous post(May 26th) below to highlight this............

Compared to other players drafted in similar position(6-10).....which is the ONLY thing that one can determine what ones expectations for the #8 should be.....we see(1997-2006)......and keeping in mind that DW has only played 2 seasons whereas most of the players below have 'become better' after 3 or more seasons in the league.

*I'll probably put some players in the wrong areas due to lack of knowledge but the overall should be clear.*

Better than DW

Kellen Winslow Jr

DeAngelo Hall

Kevin Williams

Terrell Suggs

Roy Williams

John Henderson

Levi Jones

Richard Seymour

Brian Urlacher

Torry Holt

Champ Bailey

Chris McAlister

Kyle Turley

Fred Taylor

Walter Jones

In the same ballpark as DW

Ernie Sims

Roy Williams

Dunta Robinson

Jordan Gross

Bryant McKinnie

Corey Simon

Plaxico Burress

Greg Ellis

Chris Naeole

Not as good as DW

Vernon Davis

Michael Huff

Matt Leinart

Pacman Jones

Troy Williamson

Antrel Rolle

Carlos Rogers

Mike Williams

Reggie Williams

Johnathan Sullivan

Byron Leftwich

Travis Taylor

Ryan Sims

Andre Carter

David Terrell

Koren Robinson

Jamal Reynolds

Thomas Jones

David Boston

Chris Claiborne

Grant Wistrom

Duane Starks

Ike Hilliard

James Farrior

Tom Knight

Results.....Of the 49 players chosen over those 10 drafts......

15(31%) have shown themselves to be definitely better

9(18%) are of similar talent/production

25(51%) are of lesser talent/production

When you factor in that DW has only played 2 seasons......and with low talent around him on a bad team(no help from the O).....for anyone to say that Whitner hasn't lived up to the expectations associated with the 8th overall pick is just plain wrong. After 2 years he has played at a level that is better than half of the players selected in the 6-10 range in the draft. He has definitely lived up to any reasonable expectations that one could place upon the #8 draft pick.