Time to start trashing the victim

VOR

I've refrained from trashing the victim and even defended her right to exaggerate her injuries, but this from this morning's Buffalo News really got me furious:

According to O’Connell, Shpeley has told him that, shortly after striking her and knocking her to the pavement, the Porsche SUV “slowed down, and then came to a complete stop.”

“After stopping for several seconds, the vehicle sped off at a high rate of speed. I think you could say the driver stepped on the gas,” O’Connell said. “What I surmise from that is that the driver slowed down and stopped, saw this injured woman lying there and took off.”

O’Connell said he received the same version of the story from Shpeley, a 27-year-old woman who works in the automobile industry, and two friends who were with her that night. He declined to release the names of the two friends.

After the accident, one of Shpeley’s friends called out, trying to get the driver’s attention, but the driver left the scene, O’- Connell said.

Advised of O’Connell’s comments, Clark said Shpeley’s version does not square with what he has heard from other witnesses.

“From what we’ve been told, the SUV never slowed down. It just took off,” he said.

O’Connell said Shpeley is still being examined by doctors and has not yet decided whether she will file a lawsuit against Lynch over her injuries.

Sources close to the case who have been supportive of the football player said Lynch may have hit Shpeley because his attention was diverted by another woman who was singing and dancing as both she and Shpeley were crossing the street.

“The driver never slowed down because the driver never knew he hit [shpeley],” said one source.

So apparently the vic and her friends made up the story about the car slowing down, stopping, and then speeding-off, because the driver realized he hit her. Yet unbiased witnesses said otherwise. This on top of exaggerating her injuries. Sorry but out and out lying is far worse than Lynch remaining silent on the incident.

And I added the last part, i.e. that Lynch didn't know he hit her, because that's what I believed after learning that there were factors that made it hard to see that night (it was pre-dawn, raining, woman dancing in the street, etc.), the car never slowed down (now I know that for sure), and was parked in Lynch's driveway. Admittedly the last quote is from a source who has "been supportive of...Lynch," but the facts seem to support that support. I believe he'll agree to a plea for the least severe misdemeanor, or a traffic violation and that the victim won't see as much money as she thought because of her lies.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've refrained from trashing the victim and even defended her right to exaggerate her injuries, but this from this morning's Buffalo News really got me furious:

So apparently the vic and her friends made up the story about the car slowing down, stopping, and then speeding-off, because the driver realized he hit her. Yet unbiased witnesses said otherwise. This on top of exaggerating her injuries. Sorry but out and out lying is far worse than Lynch remaining silent on the incident.

And I added the last part, i.e. that Lynch didn't know he hit her, because that's what I believed after learning that there were factors that made it hard to see that night (it was pre-dawn, raining, woman dancing in the street, etc.), the car never slowed down (now I know that for sure), and was parked in Lynch's driveway. Admittedly the last quote is from a source who has "been supportive of...Lynch," but the facts seem to support that support. I believe he'll agree to a plea for the least severe misdemeanor, or a traffic violation and that the victim won't see as much money as she thought because of her lies.

Why is her version of the events automatically the least credible of the witnesses? I'm sure every eyewitnesses he interviewed saw something different.

Why did you leave this part of the article out?

While Lynch, 22, has not spoken directly to police about the incident, The Buffalo News learned Friday that he did talk to a Bills official — by text message — on the day it happened.

“More than 10” text messages were exchanged between Lynch and Chris Clark, the Bills director of security, hours after the 3:30 a. m. hit-and-run accident, law enforcement officials said.

Authorities said Buffalo police and Frank Clark’s office obtained a court order to look at the text messages earlier this week.

“I am aware of the text messages, and from my understanding, there is nothing improper about any of them,” said Paul J. Cambria, an attorney who represents Chris Clark and other Bills officials. “My understanding is there was nothing derogatory said in any of the messages by Marshawn or Chris Clark.”

Law enforcement officials said the text-messaging between Chris Clark and the running back began at least six hours after the accident. The officials said Buffalo police were upset to learn that, while refusing to talk to police, Lynch was talking to a team official about his situation.

Authorities said some of the text messages dealt with Lynch’s need to speak with an attorney and the Bills security chief advising him on his legal right to refuse to speak to anyone about the incident. Chris Clark is a former top official of the Erie County Sheriff’s Office.

So if Lynch didn't know he hit her why was he texting this guy for legal advice after the accident?

Why is her version of the events automatically the least credible of the witnesses? I'm sure every eyewitnesses he interviewed saw something different.

Are you serious? You're asking who is more credible/less biased between the victim and her friends, and bystanders?

Besides, it looks like Clark is buying the bystanders' account. Not the victim's and her friends' account.

Why did you leave this part of the article out?

While Lynch, 22, has not spoken directly to police about the incident, The Buffalo News learned Friday that he did talk to a Bills official — by text message — on the day it happened.

"More than 10" text messages were exchanged between Lynch and Chris Clark, the Bills director of security, hours after the 3:30 a. m. hit-and-run accident, law enforcement officials said.

Authorities said Buffalo police and Frank Clark's office obtained a court order to look at the text messages earlier this week.

"I am aware of the text messages, and from my understanding, there is nothing improper about any of them," said Paul J. Cambria, an attorney who represents Chris Clark and other Bills officials. "My understanding is there was nothing derogatory said in any of the messages by Marshawn or Chris Clark."

Law enforcement officials said the text-messaging between Chris Clark and the running back began at least six hours after the accident. The officials said Buffalo police were upset to learn that, while refusing to talk to police, Lynch was talking to a team official about his situation.

Authorities said some of the text messages dealt with Lynch's need to speak with an attorney and the Bills security chief advising him on his legal right to refuse to speak to anyone about the incident. Chris Clark is a former top official of the Erie County Sheriff's Office.

So if Lynch didn't know he hit her why was he texting this guy for legal advice after the accident?

I highlighted the most important part for you. Hence the reason I didn't include it.

The officials said Buffalo police were upset to learn that, while refusing to talk to police, Lynch was talking to a team official about his situation.

Hahahahahaha!

Is the BPD THAT idotic??? Why would Lynch speak with someone who is looking out for his best interests, rather than those trying to convict him??? What was he thinking!?!?!!

Hahahahahaha!

Is the BPD THAT idotic??? Why would Lynch speak with someone who is looking out for his best interests, rather than those trying to convict him??? What was he thinking!?!?!!

Exactly. Which is why it was such a joke that some people were up in arms that he wasn't making public statements or talking to the police about it until he had to. It's called good legal advice, whether you're in the wrong or not.

He really isn't buying either, whether or not he slowed down is irrelevant to the D.A.'s plea deal. As far as unbiased bystanders? If any of them are Bills fans they are already biased towards Lynch. Have'nt you read some of the posts on here?

The DA has to buy one story or the other. Either the car slowed down +/- stopped or it didn't. If he believes the former happened, it supports the idea that the driver realized he hit someone and fled the scene, which is a crime, while the latter suggests the driver didn't know he hit anyone, which makes leaving the scene an accident. And since the latter is further supported by conditions that morning plus the car being found in Lynch's driveway and not hidden, if not the admittedly biased "source," i.e. all the evidence, it makes it more plausible.

Furthermore, given the fact that the DA made a point to refute the victim's story, it's apparent he believes the witnesses, as he should. The victim's and her friends' account is about as credible as Lynch's, regardless of the alleged biases of the witnesses. Especially if alcohol was involved on the victim's side, as you believe it was when it comes to Lynch.

The DA has to buy one story or the other. Either the car slowed down +/- stopped or it didn't. If he believes the former happened, it supports the idea that the driver realized he hit someone and fled the scene, which is a crime, while the latter suggests the driver didn't know he hit anyone, which makes leaving the scene an accident. And since the latter is further supported by conditions that morning plus the car being found in Lynch's driveway and not hidden, if not the admittedly biased "source," i.e. all the evidence, it makes it more plausible.

Furthermore, given the fact that the DA made a point to refute the victim's story, it's apparent he believes the witnesses, as he should. The victim's and her friends' account is about as credible as Lynch's, regardless of the alleged biases of the witnesses. Especially if alcohol was involved on the victim's side, as you believe it was when it comes to Lynch.

If he believed the other eyewitnesses so much why is there a plea deal and not a dismissal of all charges?

If he believed the other eyewitnesses so much why is there a plea deal and not a dismissal of all charges?

You can't just ignore that something happened. A woman, despite her falacious claims as to the possible motives of the driver, got injured and someone's car was involved.

And who is to say either side is actually lying. People can see the same event differently. Particularly if someone you know gets hit by a car, or if you get hit by one yourself.

If you're involved in it, you're less objective. Hence your testimony is useless in and of itself. Again it's not like I'm using just the witnesses account of things; I'm also using the conditions and Lynch parking his car in his driveway, as well as not one person coming forward saying Lynch was drinking that night, much less drunk when he got into his car.

But in this case, I can see how if the car did slow down, different people might not have been able to judge that. But the victim said the car came to a complete stop, which is pretty obvious.

I don't understand what you believe the DA did differently because of these other witnesses?

He didn't arrest Lynch and is agreeing to a plea deal for less than a Class A misdemeanor.

If you're involved in it, you're less objective. Hence your testimony is useless in and of itself. Again it's not like I'm using just the witnesses account of things; I'm also using the conditions and Lynch parking his car in his driveway, as well as not one person coming forward saying Lynch was drinking that night, much less drunk when he got into his car.

But in this case, I can see how if the car did slow down, different people might not have been able to judge that. But the victim said the car came to a complete stop, which is pretty obvious.

If your friend gets hit by a car, what would you be paying the most attention to- your friend's condition, or the car. If you are not 100% paying attention to something, then you could end up being wrong without intending to lie about it.

The victims version is ALWAYS least credible. She stands to gain from a civil lawsuit, and therefore the witnesses hold much more sway.

Regardless if he stopped or not she will still win the civil lawsuit, most likely through a settlement. You still never answered my question of why if Lynch didnt know he hit the woman why was he texting the Bills head of security and why he didn't answer the door when the police were pounding on his door and towing away his 100K SUV.