Health Insurance in Rochester Area Help

My wife and I are moving to Rochester to take new jobs. Our health insurance does not kick in until a couple months in. We are both in our 20s and are in good health. However, it seems prudent to try to have some sort of gap coverage or simply have some sort of catastrophic coverage in the meantime.

We are above the income cutoff for Healthy NY programs, and our current provider does not do business up there for COBRA purposes. It seems like there is little in the way of short term health insurance or catastrophic coverage in NY state. Any advice?

NY is awful for Health care choices....you may be SOL or have to buy it direct which would cost a fortune.....

This is seriously ridiculous. The chance of me or my wife needing any significant care is very small, but if it happened it would be financially devastating. Therefore, the perfect place for insurance to come in. I know the whole information asymmetry and all that, but NY has to do something about this. Their insurance laws have chased away short-term insurance, which most of the rest of the country has available.

My wife and I are moving to Rochester to take new jobs. Our health insurance does not kick in until a couple months in. We are both in our 20s and are in good health. However, it seems prudent to try to have some sort of gap coverage or simply have some sort of catastrophic coverage in the meantime.

We are above the income cutoff for Healthy NY programs, and our current provider does not do business up there for COBRA purposes. It seems like there is little in the way of short term health insurance or catastrophic coverage in NY state. Any advice?

If you need care in the interim, show up at a hospital ER and say "No comprende". What may cost people with coverage hundreds or thousands will be yours for free. :lol:

HMO guy here. Check with your current insurer. The company I work for will provide up to 2 months of out of area COBRA coverage. You will only be covered for urgent and emergent care according to your current benefits, but that is all you are looking for.

If you don't qualify for HNY, you could buy a personal plan, but your looking upwards of $1000 a month for that.

Keep in mind, if your gap in coverage is more then 63 days and your new coverage has a pre-existing condition clause, you will not be covered for any pre-x you may have for 12 months. If you have any chronic conditions, $1000 a month for two months might not be so bad. Also, if something happens during those 63 days, that would not be covered either once your new coverage kicks in.

This is seriously ridiculous. The chance of me or my wife needing any significant care is very small, but if it happened it would be financially devastating. Therefore, the perfect place for insurance to come in. I know the whole information asymmetry and all that, but NY has to do something about this. Their insurance laws have chased away short-term insurance, which most of the rest of the country has available.

I sell Health Insurance and we usually just refer people to Blue Cross Blue Shield because we have such a horrible selection in NY. Being a community rated state really limits the options. I'm licensed in all states and NY is the worst. We can work with GHI, but the plans suck.

I sell Health Insurance and we usually just refer people to Blue Cross Blue Shield because we have such a horrible selection in NY. Being a community rated state really limits the options. I'm licensed in all states and NY is the worst. We can work with GHI, but the plans suck.

What does "community rated" mean?

You pay the same amount as a guy with 4 heart attacks and a 52 inch waistband.

Which is not always a bad thing. It keeps cost down for small employers. Large employers that can go experience rated to save have in big numbers recently. CDHP is the future though.

Which is not always a bad thing. It keeps cost down for small employers. Large employers that can go experience rated to save have in big numbers recently. CDHP is the future though.

CDHP is what I work with everyday..... It is the wave of the future but the only downfall is, a lot of people don't realize that it's not just walk-in pay a copay and walk out and never get a bill..... A lot of people don't want to do anything on their own, they want someone else to do it for them

CDHP is what I work with everyday..... It is the wave of the future but the only downfall is, a lot of people don't realize that it's not just walk-in pay a copay and walk out and never get a bill..... A lot of people don't want to do anything on their own, they want someone else to do it for them

Which is why we are, where we are now. Once people realize how much their care actually costs, they'll stop going to the doctor for a sniffle and demanding brand name drugs. It is a risky plan though if you happen to develop a chronic illness.

Which is why we are, where we are now. Once people realize how much their care actually costs, they'll stop going to the doctor for a sniffle and demanding brand name drugs. It is a risky plan though if you happen to develop a chronic illness.

so true, it's the same thing i tell people everyday when they complain how high their premiums are, and i say, well the days of you paying a $10.00 copay and your dr billing for $500.00 with charges like band aids and whatnot, it's a big part of what caused this whole mess