Who would you pay more for Peters or McFadden?

McFadden just signed a deal with Oakland that gives him 60 million dollars over 6 years with about $26 million of it guaranteed.

Certainly a stud RB is of greater value than a stud LT in the NFL business (we can put aside the different football philosophy argument over the relative value of an RB vs. an LT and consider this more in the light of the business where both stud RBs and stud QBs are overvalued).

However, I think there is more than a rational case to be made that Peters in a free market (if one existed for him) actually has a much greater potential for success as a player who won Pro Bowl recognition for his play versus a well-regarded college rookie.

Even if one sees significantly more value in a McFadden than in Peters, I think this analogy is instructive in thinking about why Peters is taking such a tough in going back on his agreement and word of honor with the Bills.

He is going to be paid a huge amount this year in salary ($3 million) and added to this is a million in amortized bonus payment.

However, Peters can create a market for himself and force the Bills into re-negotiation, a McFaddenesque contract represents Peters collecting $4 million this year, or even with half a McFadden level contract taking in $13 million in guaranteed money as part of a $60 million contract.

Peters would certainly be setting a price for his word. Many of us say that our word of honor is priceless.

However, if the price being bandied about is over $10 million and could be as high as an additional $50 million then it is easier to see why there may be a price here.

In the end if Peters gets the Bills to show him the money it sets a precedent which the Bills (and any team operating under a salary cap) will find it hard if not impossible to match.

However, in the real world of market value it hard to see how any Bill short of Edwards playing well enough that he would garner a Pro Bowl nod or Lynch becoming the second coming of LaDamian Tomlinson I really do not see anyone else meeting the precedent set by Peters of being a very young player with the upside of last year being his first full one at his position who merited a Pro Bowl nod.

Certainly a stud RB is of greater value than a stud LT in the NFL business (we can put aside the different football philosophy argument over the relative value of an RB vs. an LT and consider this more in the light of the business where both stud RBs and stud QBs are overvalued).

A stud LT is of greater value than every other position except for QB and DE. So in that light, Peters deserves more.

Peters, McFadden could be the next LT or the next Reggie Bush.

If he hits 6,000 yards by his fifth season, which is an average of 1200 yards per season, I'll go to Marketplace Mall and take a naked bath in one of the fountains. :cry: IMO, there's a good chance he won't be in the league in five years. There's a good chance he'll miss time due to a suspension. I'm being generous because LT averaged just shy of a 1500 yard per season for his first five seasons.

As far as paying Peters, I'd put him in the top three salaries for LT's. RB and LT money is too different to compare, if you're asking who deserves the money more without regard to position then I'd say Peters. A great LT can make any RB better.

Peters would certainly be setting a price for his word. Many of us say that our word of honor is priceless.

IMHO ...... ya gotta be careful about that "peters is selling out on his word of honor stuff".

The contract he signed was on a RT wage scale ......... the contract he is now asking for is on a LT wage scale.

If you were promoted at work to a position of higher responsibility would you expect a pay raise??????? I would guess the answer is yes. The only recourse your employer MAY have is to tell you he/she wants to see if you can perform in your new job.

Wouldn't you agree that Peters performance last year at LT (and subsequent pro-bowl nomination) demonstrates he can/is performing his new job at not only an acceptable level, but beyond reasonable expectations??????

Think again about Peters situation ....... brought in as an undrafted TE ...... converts to RT and beats out our #4 draft choice for that position ......... becomes our best lineman and switches to LT ....... wins a pro-bowl bid (was any of our other linemen sent to the pro-bowl last year) .......... and he's what third or fourth on the o-lines payscale??????

Again in my humble opinion ........ Peters is not selling his soul for the all mighty $$$$$$, he's asking to be paid what he's worth.

Again, given that the Bills were all too willing to give Schobel a huge new extension after giving Kelsay one, I think that Peters is within his right to demand one as well. Peters is a better player than Schobel and has been playing at an elite level for the past 2 years. Pay the man.

Again, given that the Bills were all too willing to give Schobel a huge new extension after giving Kelsay one, I think that Peters is within his right to demand one as well. Peters is a better player than Schobel and has been playing at an elite level for the past 2 years. Pay the man.

Agreed, pay him and pay him well. At the age of 26 he's got at least 6 more great seasons in him, his presence makes the entire offense better.

Easy. The LT because they have a longer longevity in the NFL, statistically speaking; RB's do not.

I agree it is an easy choice and there seems to be a fairly growing consensus which has that view. I think when one considers the size of contracts being doled out in this marketplace to folks like McFadden that is not outrageous at all to see someone like Peters not simply being the "victim" of a Svengali agent (as some folks have theorized), but instead is is someone taking rational actions in search of a huge prize which does not set a precedent for others.

What Peters is doing is certainly violating his past agreement that eliminated any marketplace for him for another 3 seasons. However, if there was a marketplace he entered, his worth would likely be more than $60 million over 6 years with with roughly $26 million guaranteed.

His current agreement provides him with $3 million this year, $3 million more guaranteed and whatever future salary unguaranteed he agreed to. Given the choice between as little as $6 million if bad luck befalls him or some ref hits him in the eye with a beanbag or $60 million with $26 million guaranteed it is not surprising he is doing everything he can to create a market for himself right now.

I'm not sure, but I'd have to say LT is a premier position. McFadden is NOT A. Peterson or OJ Simpson..but a pretty good bet to be a fine starter on the Raiders. But he hasn't played an NFL game yet. Peters is the franchise (IMHO) at least on offense. He is worth top LT money (which isn't small change by any means.). I say sign him and get on with the season!!!

Peters. He has proven to be one of the best at his position in the league. McFadden has done nothing in the NFL yet(although I think he is gonna be awesome). Give the money to the proven player. Peters is the best player on the Bills- let's lock him up!