No games in Toronto?

"If Marshawn Lynch is convicted of a crime stemming from his alleged involvement in last week's hit-and-run accident, he could potentially struggle to make the Bills' regular season games in Canada. Canada isn't soft on allowing those with arrest histories into the country. "There are guidelines, but we decide these issues on a case by case basis," said a spokeswoman for Canadian Immigration. The Bills aren't sure to play games in Toronto yet and won't in 2008, so this isn't an imminent problem."

*This is from Rotoworld.com, which got the article from the Buffalo News.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.as...amp;line=117202

The bolded part is Rotoworld's take, not in the original BN story. Feel free to let them know they screwed up.

I would love to let them know they screwed up, I just dont know who I would contact?

I sent an email to the Rochester D&C last year when Leo Roth (I think?) screwed up in an article about the McGahee trade.

I know a guy who was arrested for DUI here in Fla (a misdemeanor). He used to go to Canada every summer for two weeks to fish. Because of the DUI, he is not allowed in Canada for like 7 years.

It's 10 years but if you do the paperwork and pay the 200.00 you can get a permit. :blink:

"If Marshawn Lynch is convicted of a crime stemming from his alleged involvement in last week's hit-and-run accident, he could potentially struggle to make the Bills' regular season games in Canada. Canada isn't soft on allowing those with arrest histories into the country. "There are guidelines, but we decide these issues on a case by case basis," said a spokeswoman for Canadian Immigration. The Bills aren't sure to play games in Toronto yet and won't in 2008, so this isn't an imminent problem."

*This is from Rotoworld.com, which got the article from the Buffalo News.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.as...amp;line=117202

Don't expect the Bengals to ever be the opponent for a Toronto game. They'd have trouble fielding a team.

From the Buffalo News:

“The bottom line is, when someone has criminal convictions in the [united States], we look to see how that conviction would apply to our laws in Canada,” said Madona Mokbel, a spokeswoman for Citizenship & Immigration Canada. “There are guidelines, but we decide these issues on a case by case basis.”

While not commenting directly on Lynch’s situation, Mokbel said entertainment and sports figures sometimes receive a “temporary resident permit” to enter Canada, even if they have a criminal conviction that would exclude most people from the country.

“Our government would look at the risk of the individual coming into our country, balanced against the benefit of them coming in,” Mokbel said. “If a person is a rock star or somebody who is going to come in and benefit Canada’s tourism, they might qualify for a temporary permit.”

The bottom line is money! If ML is a "benefit to Canada's tourism", he will be granted a temporary resident permit. The ACC hosts concerts all the time and I know a handful of those musicians had some serious records, but it's a benefit to Toronto's wallet. No need to worry...

And I have no idea where they got there information about no games in Canada any time soon???

For those of you who might actually care, this has been corrected:

Canada isn't soft on allowing those with arrest histories into the country. "There are guidelines, but we decide these issues on a case by case basis," said a spokeswoman for Canadian Immigration. The Bills play in Toronto on December 7, so this is a situation to keep in mind for those fantasy leaguers targeting Lynch. Still, we wouldn't be worried until he's charged.

Thanks, Aron.

Is the ban "driving" into Canada, or just going into Canada at all, even if you're in the passenger seat.

Entering the country.

Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of MINOR OFFENCES (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or of INDICTABLE CRIMINAL OFFENCES (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.). As well, those who have been convicted of DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED (DWI) are considered Members of an Inadmissible Class. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offence in Canada.

Those who have been convicted of an offence OUTSIDE CANADA, and have had 5 years elapse since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed (not the sentence served), may apply for a Minister's APPROVAL OF REHABILITATION. The Minister's Approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by conviction.