The most important player to Bills success in 08?

I think its unrealistic to expect Trent to only struggle "a game or two."

I don't expect him to necessarily light it up, but he should be adequate most of the time. He got more work last season than most rookie QBs. When JP started every game in 2006 he hadn't played "a lot" and he was certainly adequate. I'd expect no less from Edwards.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect him to necessarily light it up, but he should be adequate most of the time. He got more work last season than most rookie QBs. When JP started every game in 2006 he hadn't played "a lot" and he was certainly adequate. I'd expect no less from Edwards.

So if the most important player on the Bills is adequate you will be satisfied?

Note the responses to this thread (one initially created about Poz) have yet to reference our sophomore MLB!

I'm not criticizing you guys for hijacking the topic and skirting the conversation towards Stroud, Lynch, Edwards, JP ( :lol:), but now I am curious as to why Poz's name is absent from soooooo many talking points?

Are we as fans taking his imminent domination for granted?

Is the team still in such disarray that any concern about MLB's is not even on the horizon?

Or will the rest of you be shocked when we're a top 5 defense? and it will all be because of Poz, and I'll be the one to say: I told you so!

No, the thread isn't about Poz. You asked "(who is )The most important player to Bills success in 08?" and you don't expect folks to answer? Is he important? Yes, every starter is but I can name several (Lynch, Stroud, Evans, Peters, Schobel, pick a corner any corner) who to me are more important.

If you want a thread about Poz then title it "Pos is the most important player to Bills success in 08!"

My vote goes for Hardy as the most important player. The players on offense are virtually unchanged from last year. Granted all will be a year wiser but our offense will take a big step ahead and upwards if Hardy has a decent rookie season. Not only will he be the big target, but will enable Evans to have a good year too. I cannot point to any one person on D because I see fairly good depth all over and that includes the D Line (can't be worse than last year even if someone is injured or underperforms).

No, the thread isn't about Poz. You asked "(who is )The most important player to Bills success in 08?" and you don't expect folks to answer? Is he important? Yes, every starter is but I can name several (Lynch, Stroud, Evans, Peters, Schobel, pick a corner any corner) who to me are more important.

If you want a thread about Poz then title it "Pos is the most important player to Bills success in 08!"

You're not wrong, Walter you're just an ass hole.

You're not wrong, Walter you're just an ass hole.

Your right asswipe, usually I am an ****, but not this time. You expect people to post according to your idea of who's important? I gave you a civil answer, I think. I could have said that your pathetic thread was a hopeless retread and nothing of significance but instead I attempted to help you out.

NO...POZ IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN BILLS SUCCESS IN 2008

unnerstand bagofdouche?

Note the responses to this thread (one initially created about Poz) have yet to reference our sophomore MLB!

I'm not criticizing you guys for hijacking the topic and skirting the conversation towards Stroud, Lynch, Edwards, JP ( :lol:), but now I am curious as to why Poz's name is absent from soooooo many talking points?

Are we as fans taking his imminent domination for granted?

Is the team still in such disarray that any concern about MLB's is not even on the horizon?

Or will the rest of you be shocked when we're a top 5 defense? and it will all be because of Poz, and I'll be the one to say: I told you so!

There are probably two reasons why people aren't talking more about Poz:

- People assume that, once he's on the field, he'll play very well.

- The Bills got reasonably good play from the overachieving John DiGiorgio. Poz is an upgrade at MLB no question, but the MLB position from the 2007 Bills probably hasn't been weighing on people's minds as a huge problem area.

While Edwards got off to a promising start, he's still largely an unknown, unproven QB. A lot of Bills fans are . . . somewhat familiar with what happens when you don't get good play from the QB position; and there's a lot of hope Edwards can help put those days behind us.

Whole team has to do something.

If we can hope that no one takes a step back (Ellison, DiGiorgio, corners, et cetera playing at the level they've been at or better)..

Lynch and Hardy are cornerstones of this offense now and need to stay the !@#$ out of trouble. Trent can't pull a JP and fold like a lawnchair under the starter weight. Ko needs to show he's the starter we covet. Poz needs to live up to his ESPN ranking of 14th best LB in the NFL (Yeah, I'm shocked too).

Lee is playing in his contract year, so that solves that. The Omon and Freddy J need to show what they can do if/when Marshawn goes down. Reed needs to find the endzone.

But... the number one? Kelsay. Make or break buddy, find the quarterback or sit behind Ryan.

O-Line looks good, D-Line finally looks good, Pieces in place for a phenom-like receiving corp, Corners are solid, still IMO best young safety tandem in the NFL, great depth, the best linebacking corp since Fletcher/Spikes/Posey/Crowell (Poz/Mitchell/Crowell/DiGiorgio). We may need a long snapper... but past that...

Go Bills.

You are awesome.

Your right asswipe, usually I am an ****, but not this time. You expect people to post according to your idea of who's important? I gave you a civil answer, I think. I could have said that your pathetic thread was a hopeless retread and nothing of significance but instead I attempted to help you out.

NO...POZ IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN BILLS SUCCESS IN 2008

unnerstand bagofdouche?

We fans are certainly free to idolize any individual player if we choose, but I think the fact is that if the players focus on one player or expect/demand that one player deserves the thought of being most important then it likely will be a disappointing season.

I think the simple fact is that this team will need to perform like a TEAM if it hopes to succeed. Sure fans fixate on a single player as THE determiner of the season. However, one needs only remember back to the central role QB Kelly played for the Bills but it does not take a lot of thought to realize on the team one could easily make a case for Bruce being most important or realize that on the O one could easily make a case that Thurm was the pivotal player.

Even after debating this one need only remember that the QB for the greatest game ever played was Frank Reich.

I think what this adds up to is that the key as the Pars demonstrated when the entire team was introduced before the SB if the 2001 season that it really is all about the team.

So if the most important player on the Bills is adequate you will be satisfied?

I didn't say I thought Edwards was the most important player -- others did. And yes, if a 2nd year QB is "adequate" and the defense is significantly improved, the playoffs are a possibility and I'm satisfied.

I'm not going to pick any one player to be the key to success, BUT I will say that I think that it will be HUGER than Fuccillo if McCargo can continue to progress as he did in the second half of last season. Between him and Stroud, there's no reason why the Bills shouldn't be one of the stingiest run defenses in the league this year...and should provide the opportunity for Whitner to actually stay back in the secondary, as opposed to cheating up for run support like he had to do much of last season.

The most interesting player situation is at cornerback. I'm sure that McKelvin should be a starter sometime this season...but who will be the odd man out?? I thought that Greer outshined McGee for much of last season. Regardless, if Greer ends up at Nickel, thats really not a bad problem to have.

BeastMode's attorney .... and Goodell.

Seriously. If Lynch misses any significant time, especially at the very beginning of the year, .... WE'RE DOOMED!

Not necessarily. If Lynch gets suspended for a few games, it might encourage Turk to pass more often than Fairchild had last year. Anything is better than Fairchild's run, run, pass mixed together with the occasional run, run, run.

Secondly, Fred Jackson is a good football player; and is better as a receiving threat than Lynch. Seeing more of him on the field wouldn't be a bad thing; especially if we're going to a higher percentage of passing plays.

I agree that Lynch is a huge asset for the Bills, but the Bills' offense can be effective without him. Well, at least if guys like Edwards, Hardy, Turk, and Schouman come through.