Sonic Youth and other 90's alternative

Pete

I have been loading CD's on my Itunes (over 1000 artists right now!). I have been breaking out lots of music I have not heard for awhile- and its great stuff! Sonic Youth, Superchunk, Sebadoh, Happy Mondays, Dinasaur Jr, Guided By Voices, Replacements, Pixies, so much more. I used to get the magazine CMJ which was a bargain. Every issue came with a CD of 20+ songs of new music- and there are some gems on those discs. Anyone else really like 90's alternative?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been loading CD's on my Itunes (over 1000 artists right now!). I have been breaking out lots of music I have not heard for awhile- and its great stuff! Sonic Youth, Superchunk, Sebadoh, Happy Mondays, Dinasaur Jr, Guided By Voices, Replacements, Pixies, so much more. I used to get the magazine CMJ which was a bargain. Every issue came with a CD of 20+ songs of new music- and there are some gems on those discs. Anyone else really like 90's alternative?

Edwards or Losman? :lol:

How about Neutral Milk Hotel?

I really like that song on the Judgment Night soundtrack they did w/ Cypress Hill.

I feel like I was born to post in this thread. But all I can think of to say is... :lol:

Gringo- I knew you would show bro! 90's alternative was special stuff. It was underground, pure, honest, uncompromising, and artists were true to themselves. Glorious stuff!

feel free to add a good 90's alternative video

If you listened to CFNY on a Saturday Night, you were bound to hear "Homeboy" by Adorable.

The Chapel Hill area produced some great bands (e.g. Superchunk, Archers of Loaf)

Here's another oldie but goodie: http://youtube.com/watch?v=v0tOjAESwSY

Some other 90s bands: Buffalo Tom, Velocity Girl, Bettie Serveert, Yo La Tengo, Primal Scream, Stone Roses, Spinanes....

Gringo- I knew you would show bro! 90's alternative was special stuff. It was underground, pure, honest, uncompromising, and artists were true to themselves. Glorious stuff!

The earlier stuff was, though as the decade progressed, people learned that flannel and angst made money. Though I don't know if it fits as "alternative", I've always loved Pennywise, NOFX, Face to Face, Pitchshifter... I guess that fits more into the punk bin, though.

I felt the need to post here too as I'm a 90's kid.

If you listened to CFNY on a Saturday Night, you were bound to hear "Homeboy" by Adorable.

The Chapel Hill area produced some great bands (e.g. Superchunk, Archers of Loaf)

Here's another oldie but goodie: http://youtube.com/watch?v=v0tOjAESwSY

Some other 90s bands: Buffalo Tom, Velocity Girl, Bettie Serveert, Yo La Tengo, Primal Scream, Stone Roses, Spinanes....

good tune! I loaded up a couple Buffalo Tom albums, Yo Lo Tengo, Primal Scream and Stone Roses. A few others from that genre that I loaded up-

Neds Atomic Dustbin

Charlatans

The Farm

Elastica

Digable Planets

Sloan

Afghan Whigs

Candyskins

Connells

Dambuilders

Possum Dixon

Mary Lou Lord

Lots more. Good stuff!

Damn, I almost forgot about Ned's!

If you like the Whigs, you should check out Greg Dulli's new band, the Twilight Singers. Good stuff. BTW, I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet, but the Whigs did a fantastic cover of "Creep" by TLC.

Twice Removed by Sloan is one of my all-time favorite albums.

The earlier stuff was, though as the decade progressed, people learned that flannel and angst made money. Though I don't know if it fits as "alternative", I've always loved Pennywise, NOFX, Face to Face, Pitchshifter... I guess that fits more into the punk bin, though.

I felt the need to post here too as I'm a 90's kid.

I graduated in 1987 and loved punk in high school. I still do- but the 80's are probably the best era for punk ever. NOFX and Face to Face are solid. Corrosion of Conformity, Black Flag, The Dead Boys(I guess not an 80's band, but I will lump them in), Ramones, DRI, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, Bullet Lavolta....I could go on- that stuff is great too!

I graduated in 1987 and loved punk in high school. I still do- but the 80's are probably the best era for punk ever. NOFX and Face to Face are solid. Corrosion of Conformity, Black Flag, The Dead Boys(I guess not an 80's band, but I will lump them in), Ramones, DRI, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, Bullet Lavolta....I could go on- that stuff is great too!

I just checked to see if Pennywise was going to be in the Atlanta area anytime soon, hoping I'd pick tickets up and go. They're going to freaking be here *tomorrow* and we've company coming into town.

Damn it.

COC is great... toss in the Vandals, some DK (though I've never been that much of a fan)... and anything Mike Ness has been involved in.