LB Odell Thurman

Horus

Paul, did you catch the recent FDA public advisory on Chantix?

Don't be surprised if additional studies appear very shortly, linking the drug to other medical issues. There have been more "adverse event reports" to the FDA concerning Chantix over the past 1/4 than for any other drug, regardless of circulation.

Be glad you stopped taking it.

I am glad, it was making feel like chit, plus then I would prolly have to kick my addiction to IT in three months. Fug it, just read my book and all is good :rolleyes:

they cut him for missing a non-manditory camp. That alone is a violation of the league rules, but I dout anyone will do much about it. Its obvious the Bengals dont want him. He will sign with someone for a very low deal.

I may be wrong, but they can cut your ass for any reason at any time(outside of injury). However, what they cannot do is fine you for missing these OTAs, as opposed to mandatory minicamps and training camps, where they can fine you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow..some of you really disgust me..seriuosly...the way you talk about alcoholism is pathetic...yes I agree doctors will turn anything into a disease these days but alcoholism is suffered widely...also I hope when your mothers die (I dont wish this on anybody) (his grandmother raised him so she was like his mother) you all get fired from your jobs for taking some time off to bury her and get things taken care of...you all keep missing this part....he wasnt a no show for no reason to voluntary ota's...

Did anyone here even look up why Thurman was suspended for so long? HE FAILED A DRUG TEST! He got suspended for 4 games by the NFL for failing (or skipping) his drug test. That means that he probably failed more than one, am I right? So he gets suspended for 4 games and manages to get locked up for drinking and driving while he is on suspension from the league. That earned him a full years' suspension. Upon further review (and let's be honest, we don't know how it works) Goodell said "No thanks" to him coming back. There had to be a reason for that. So now people are saying "Poor Odell! He is an alcoholic and his grandmother died!" I can't believe you guys. He is yet another example of a player who refuses to get his crap together. His grandmothers' passing was just bad timing. If he was worth keeping around, they would have kept him on the team.

Did anyone here even look up why Thurman was suspended for so long? HE FAILED A DRUG TEST! He got suspended for 4 games by the NFL for failing (or skipping) his drug test. That means that he probably failed more than one, am I right? So he gets suspended for 4 games and manages to get locked up for drinking and driving while he is on suspension from the league. That earned him a full years' suspension. Upon further review (and let's be honest, we don't know how it works) Goodell said "No thanks" to him coming back. There had to be a reason for that. So now people are saying "Poor Odell! He is an alcoholic and his grandmother died!" I can't believe you guys. He is yet another example of a player who refuses to get his crap together. His grandmothers' passing was just bad timing. If he was worth keeping around, they would have kept him on the team.

I never said the guy was a saint or that he didnt do anything wrong...he was allowed back so obviously you didnt read the article...he was let go for not being seen arround team HQ enough...my argument is that 1 - voluntary means you have a choice to show up or not to show up...seeings that he was out for 2 years, yes its best to show up..you could also argue wether or not 3 seasons with only 1 playing, being his rookie year, if hes considered a 1 year player wich means he didnt have a choice or wether hes a 3 year vet..i dont know the rules on that...2 - he didnt show up due to a death of his mother figure..again, Id like to see you go into work the day after your mother/grandmother dies...

I think it was a few things that got him released....1- hes henry's best friend and henry was just released as well(this is not a main or big reason, just a plus or minus in thurmans case)...2 - he didnt show a "team before personal life" attitude this past month..i hate to tell you but ppl that run corporations just dont care about your personal life all they see is what they want done isnt getting done...3 - Im thinking the team was just fed up with any problems...chad johnson's under there skin and multiple players are thugs...4 - they have Rivers

1 - voluntary means you have a choice to show up or not to show up...

Wrong! They only call them "voluntary" because the CBA agreement says that the teams can only force the players to attend X amount of minicamps. To counter that ruling, the teams call them "voluntary" and tell the players "You have to be there, or else!" The only people who can get away with skipping voluntary camps are pro-bowl tyep veterans because the teams know that Jason Taylor-ish guys don't NEED to be there. I'm not sure if you noticed but Odell Thurman is no Jason Taylor (as an athlete or a dancer.)

2 - he didnt show up due to a death of his mother figure..again, Id like to see you go into work the day after your mother/grandmother dies...

I understand that his grandmother passed and that's sad. That's not why he got cut! If you don't believe me, here's what Marvin Lewis had to say: "His grandmother’s been buried for quite a while, don’t get into his whole family structure. He has not played football in two years. And we have people who will be better for our football team. We’ve been patient enough with Odell, and he’s no longer here. No big deal.” I don't know the timeline of when she died and when she was buried, but apparently he didn't explain himself well enough, or he just plain screwed up with his handling of this situation.

I think it was a few things that got him released....1- hes henry's best friend and henry was just released as well(this is not a main or big reason, just a plus or minus in thurmans case)...

What are you basing that on? That sounds to me like your personal opinion on the matter because I have not heard/seen anything that implied that.

2 - he didnt show a "team before personal life" attitude this past month..i hate to tell you but ppl that run corporations just dont care about your personal life all they see is what they want done isnt getting done...3 - Im thinking the team was just fed up with any problems...chad johnson's under there skin and multiple players are thugs...4 - they have Rivers

Finally, something we agree on (except the Chad Johnson comment...that's just completely off topic.)

1.)He has proven time and time again that he is a "me first" kind of guy who won't change his lifestyle.

2.)Corporations don't give a rat's ass about your personal life. You're being paid so they make money off of you. If you aren't making them money...you don't get paid. it sucks. But if you don't like it, you better own your own business.

3.)The team was fed up with his crap and they decided to cut him loose. I give them credit because that takes balls to cut a second round pick who is obviously extremely talented. I think Thurman could be a decent starter if he gets his act together.

4.) Rivers helps them, but their linebacking corps is still way below the NFL standards in terms of quality/talent. Losing Thurman really hurts them and one guy isn't going to make them forget about that waste of a second round pick.

Side note: The 2005 Cincinnati Bengals Draft

Round 1 David Pollack (retired)

Round 2 Odell Thurman (released)

Round 3 Chris Henry (released)

OUCH!

Wrong! They only call them "voluntary" because the CBA agreement says that the teams can only force the players to attend X amount of minicamps. To counter that ruling, the teams call them "voluntary" and tell the players "You have to be there, or else!" The only people who can get away with skipping voluntary camps are pro-bowl tyep veterans because the teams know that Jason Taylor-ish guys don't NEED to be there. I'm not sure if you noticed but Odell Thurman is no Jason Taylor (as an athlete or a dancer.)

OK I can agree on this one

I understand that his grandmother passed and that's sad. That's not why he got cut! If you don't believe me, here's what Marvin Lewis had to say: "His grandmother’s been buried for quite a while, don’t get into his whole family structure. He has not played football in two years. And we have people who will be better for our football team. We’ve been patient enough with Odell, and he’s no longer here. No big deal.” I don't know the timeline of when she died and when she was buried, but apparently he didn't explain himself well enough, or he just plain screwed up with his handling of this situation.

yes and in that same article it states: "Thurman went back to Georgia for his grandmother's funeral on May 12 and didn't return for voluntary workouts last week"...its been ten days since shes was buried and this topic was posted 2 or 3 days ago....to me M.Lewis is a scumbag to make a comment like that ...he expected him back last week..ok I know most places only give you 3 days of bereavement for grandparents but this was his mother in sense and the Bengals should have shown more class and let him have longer...now if he was given longer and didn't show up by next OTA then ok do what you want..

What are you basing that on? That sounds to me like your personal opinion on the matter because I have not heard/seen anything that implied that.

yes this is opinion not fact..I started out this sentence with "I think"....I only said this because its stated in the article and talked about a bit and because 9 times out of 10 your guilty by association..lol

Finally, something we agree on (except the Chad Johnson comment...that's just completely off topic.)

1.)He has proven time and time again that he is a "me first" kind of guy who won't change his lifestyle.

2.)Corporations don't give a rat's ass about your personal life. You're being paid so they make money off of you. If you aren't making them money...you don't get paid. it sucks. But if you don't like it, you better own your own business.

3.)The team was fed up with his crap and they decided to cut him loose. I give them credit because that takes balls to cut a second round pick who is obviously extremely talented. I think Thurman could be a decent starter if he gets his act together.

4.) Rivers helps them, but their linebacking corps is still way below the NFL standards in terms of quality/talent. Losing Thurman really hurts them and one guy isn't going to make them forget about that waste of a second round pick.

I have to disagree with some of this:

"1.)He has proven time and time again that he is a "me first" kind of guy who won't change his lifestyle.".....I read nothing that stated this so is this fact or opinion...and my point was that the Bengals were acting in the "me first" attitude...he evidently did change since Goodell allowed him back into the NFL this season.

"3.)The team was fed up with his crap and they decided to cut him loose"...how much crap could he have given them with 2 years away from the team?....I will admit I dont know what happened to make Goodell give him a full year after the 4 game suspension he had..or why Goodell gave him the second year.

Side note: The 2005 Cincinnati Bengals Draft

Round 1 David Pollack (retired)

Round 2 Odell Thurman (released)

Round 3 Chris Henry (released)

OUCH!

yea I agree..bad year for them

nfl.com Odell Thurman

OK maybe I'm wrong here but i feel Bengals showed no class in cutting Odell Thurman for the reason stated in the article....the mans grandmother has just died, she raised him so he was as close to her as if she was his mother...the man fails to attend VOLUNTARY ota's just after her death as he's at home takeing care of her things...I understand he just had 2 years off and that the Bengals are installing a new defense and want him there to study it, but c'mon....this just sounds like they didnt want him back in the first place and are just useing this as a way to get rid of him...to bad it makes them sound like losers

Sound like losers? Have you checked out their free-falling franchise recently. They'll be lucky to win 6 games this upcoming season. Some of their best players don't even want to be there anymore. That has to be the worst locker room in the NFL since T.O. and Donovan were having their catfight.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a heads up on this

here

YEAH! How about an apology thread from all you guys who called the Bengals classless scumbags for cutting Thurman. It had nothing to do with OTA's or his grandmother's passing. It was Odell being Odell. What a waste of talent!

It feels good being right.

And it's official: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3429624

Linebacker Odell Thurman, released by the Bengals on May 19, has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL, the league confirmed Friday.

Under terms of the suspension, Thurman will be out of football for his third consecutive season for violations of the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy. The league sent official notification to NFL teams Friday afternoon that Thurman will be suspended for the entire 2008 season.

"He will not be considered for reinstatement until after the 2008 season,'' a league spokesman said.

So now you see why the players feel no remorse in asking for new contracts even when they are under contract.

I still think it's because careers are short. Not because teams are free to cut them for practically any reason if they are proven, die-hard turds.

• 1 month later...
Damn those classless Bengals, not giving a fine young man like Odell another chance. :devil:

Clearly he deserved another chance -- I mean he's only been suspended for two full seasons, recently failed another substance test so he'll miss another full season, and now the felonious assault charges.

Obviously the Bengals should have kept a guy who cannot play a down this season, which will be the third straight year he is banned from playing.

Clearly he deserved another chance -- I mean he's only been suspended for two full seasons, recently failed another substance test so he'll miss another full season, and now the felonious assault charges.

Obviously the Bengals should have kept a guy who cannot play a down this season, which will be the third straight year he is banned from playing.

On the bright side, the only way to go is up. :devil: