Two Buffalo men drown here in Florida

I quit 4 years ago now. I used to down almost two packs of those things every day. Took me two attempts. On the first, I stopped for about 6 months. I was driving home at night and passed a 7-11 or some such store. They had a sign out that read 'Marlboro lights 2.25 a pack.' I thought to myself, "wow, what a great price! I should buy some!" Well, that was that.

I tried again about a year later. Just stopped. Cold turkey. Haven't smoked in four years now. I still get the odd cravings, though. Usually it's while drinking a beer or while sitting on the back porch drinking a cup of coffee. The hardest part about stopping was the mental piece. While at work, I'd always say to myself "I'm going to finish this piece of code, and then I'll go grab a smoke." It was almost like a reward system. When I made the decision to go cold turkey, I still did the same thing in my head.... but no reward!

I still hung out with smokers. I didn't want to hide from them all and then fall off the bandwagon once I got a whiff of it.

I used that damn gum the first time. That didn't work at all. While I'd only smoke one or two a day, I still kept my blood full of nicotine. The second I spit the gum out, I'd want nicotine from somewhere.... doesn't so much matter where!

I quit last novmber using chantix. aside from the naseum and the the completly f-ed up dreams, it works wonders. I got drunk a month or so ago( I get drunk alot but this was special) and tried a smoke. I was ripped on nicotine!!! completly stoned. I felt mad guilty afterwards and havent smoked since but that was on helluva buzz.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure exactly which one it was, but it was one of those weirs. The spring or summer after my father died, I noticed a new grave nearby. It had a temporary marker. The guy was young an dthe date rang a bell. It was the guy that had drowned a few weeks earlier. This was in 91.

I geocached in Birchfeld a few times. Last winter, last summer (the creek was low then and you could walk on the bed), and the winter after the October snow (many trails were closed with the downed trees)

It was pretty bad in that part of West Seneca and into South Cheektowaga after the October snow storm in '06... Looked like a bomb went off... It (what you talk about) has to be in that area where the weir was, there is still remains of it... I guess at one time a long, long time ago... This is the area where farmers would grist their grain (Ebenezer, New York)... ?? I would assume... ?? The street across from 14 Holy Helpers is Race street, probably had a race running through there for a mill... This upstream wier is probably the remains from those days. You could imagine how they could have harnessed the spring runoff, it is a pretty swift creek at times! There is actually nice spots all along it going up to where "Iron Bridge" was near Marilla, New York... Or is that Cayuga creek??

There is actually nice spots all along it going up to where "Iron Bridge" was near Marilla, New York... Or is that Cayuga creek??

I dunno about all that, but i grew up in LaSalle in Niagara Falls and we had a Cayuga Creek. Nasty little thing that fed into the Little River(city docks) then finally to the Niagara River

I dunno about all that, but i grew up in LaSalle in Niagara Falls and we had a Cayuga Creek. Nasty little thing that fed into the Little River(city docks) then finally to the Niagara River

There is also a Cayuga Creek in Erie county just north of Buffalo creek... Crosses Union road in Cheektowaga just south of where William meets Union... Goes all the way east to Cowlesville and ends just south of Bennington, New York. Would make sense that most creeks would end about there because believe it or not there is another escarpment that takes you into the hill area... I am sure there are three main escarpments... The Niagara of course... Then there is the one you see that runs along Route 5 and Main street, you can see this along I-290 in Williamsville and then there is one in southern Erie county. Not sure what the names are of the two others are! I wanna say off the top of my head one is the Onondaga escarpment??

I'm just glad you'll be thinking of me. It's good to have friends.

I've lost three family members since February. May as well try to look for humor in it...because death's going to get each one of us some day, and getting cringingly histrionic over it isn't going to change that.

yeah..ok ok good point.

There is also a Cayuga Creek in Erie county just north of Buffalo creek... Crosses Union road in Cheektowaga just south of where William meets Union... Goes all the way east to Cowlesville and ends just south of Bennington, New York. Would make sense that most creeks would end about there because believe it or not there is another escarpment that takes you into the hill area... I am sure there are three main escarpments... The Niagara of course... Then there is the one you see that runs along Route 5 and Main street, you can see this along I-290 in Williamsville and then there is one in southern Erie county. Not sure what the names are of the two others are! I wanna say off the top of my head one is the Onondaga escarpment??

The Iron Bridge in Marilla is on Clinton in Marilla and is over Cayuga Creek. I have an aunt and uncle that live about 500-100 ft from it. Just past is the county line. There were more than a few deaths from kids jumping in the creek from the bridge There was a deep pool (20-30 ft deep), but right next to it, it was only 1-2 ft deep. You could sit in the creek and let your feet dangle over the underwater ledge. They filled it in and also cut down all the big old trees so kids couldn't tie ropes to them.

In Cheek towaga, Cayuga Creek was about 700-800 ft across the street. The last time it really flooded bad was in 72 when Hurricane Agnes(?) stalled over the Southern Tier. William and Union had about 2 feet of water (I know- I was a stupid teenager that walked through it). After that, the Corps of Engineers worked on the area just east of Unin Road and it hasn't flooded since.

I believe the headwaters of the creek may be in Cuba, NY.

The Iron Bridge in Marilla is on Clinton in Marilla and is over Cayuga Creek. I have an aunt and uncle that live about 500-100 ft from it. Just past is the county line. There were more than a few deaths from kids jumping in the creek from the bridge There was a deep pool (20-30 ft deep), but right next to it, it was only 1-2 ft deep. You could sit in the creek and let your feet dangle over the underwater ledge. They filled it in and also cut down all the big old trees so kids couldn't tie ropes to them.

In Cheek towaga, Cayuga Creek was about 700-800 ft across the street. The last time it really flooded bad was in 72 when Hurricane Agnes(?) stalled over the Southern Tier. William and Union had about 2 feet of water (I know- I was a stupid teenager that walked through it). After that, the Corps of Engineers worked on the area just east of Unin Road and it hasn't flooded since.

I believe the headwaters of the creek may be in Cuba, NY.

Going back now what? Well over 50 years ago... My father was 18 and went there to dive off the bridge and swim with friends... He was 18 on Memorial Day... He went to take a drive into the pool and someone called his name like he was showing off... He stumbled and fell off the bridge... Not far enough to land into the deep pool... Totally shattered his left elbow where they had to reconstruct it using plates and screws... This in the early 1950's... The doctors wanted to amputate because gangereen set in... My grandmother wouldn't let them cut the arm off (she nursed him after the reconstruction surgery!)... Needless to say he was inducted into the Army around Labor Day of that year! :wub::lol:

My grandmother found fault that he went to swim BEFORE the blessed the water (I think that is what? St. Joseph's day or something? :w00t::w00t: ) She told him not to go beforehand! :lol:

He literally crashed into the depth that was about a foot deep when he stumbled... Till this day he can raise his arm above his head, but it stays bent... The only way to straighten it out above his head is to use the other hand to lift it! They would let him jump out of planes in the Army! At least they had some sense there! I swear the man (my father) has nine lives... Before this he also said he and friends would dive into the Genesee at Letchworth :lol::lol: ...

Going back now what? Well over 50 years ago... My father was 18 and went there to dive off the bridge and swim with friends... He was 18 on Memorial Day... He went to take a drive into the pool and someone called his name like he was showing off... He stumbled and fell off the bridge... Not far enough to land into the deep pool... Totally shattered his left elbow where they had to reconstruct it using plates and screws... This in the early 1950's... The doctors wanted to amputate because gangereen set in... My grandmother wouldn't let them cut the arm off (she nursed him after the reconstruction surgery!)... Needless to say he was inducted into the Army around Labor Day of that year! :wub::lol:

My grandmother found fault that he went to swim BEFORE the blessed the water (I think that is what? St. Joseph's day or something? :w00t::w00t: ) She told him not to go beforehand! :lol:

He literally crashed into the depth that was about a foot deep when he stumbled... Till this day he can raise his arm above his head, but it stays bent... The only way to straighten it out above his head is to use the other hand to lift it! They would let him jump out of planes in the Army! At least they had some sense there! I swear the man (my father) has nine lives... Before this he also said he and friends would dive into the Genesee at Letchworth :lol::lol: ...

How about the metal rail road bridge across the Niagara into Fort Erie. Anyone jump off that bridge ? I have spent many summers swimming and jumping off that bridge on the Canadian side. Do they still do that there I wonder ?

How about the metal rail road bridge across the Niagara into Fort Erie. Anyone jump off that bridge ? I have spent many summers swimming and jumping off that bridge on the Canadian side. Do they still do that there I wonder ?

You mean the International Bridge that is just north of the Peace Bridge?... The one that has the turntable span just south of the upper miter gates of the Black Rock lock? That bridge?

You madman... Isn't there some shallow spots along those upper rapids? You did say the Canadian side which is deeper and has a more relaxed (if you want to call it that) current (I did some water skiing around there way back)

:lol:

You mean the International Bridge that is just north of the Peace Bridge?... The one that has the turntable span just south of the upper miter gates of the Black Rock lock? That bridge?

You madman... Isn't there some shallow spots along those upper rapids? You did say the Canadian side which is deeper and has a more relaxed (if you want to call it that) current (I did some water skiing around there way back)

:rolleyes:

That's the one. I jumped off the top. It's about 85 feet give or take a few feet. A real adrenaline rush. I remember an American tried to dive off the top about 30 years ago when drunk. He landed on his back and was seriously injured from head to toe from slapping the water on his back at whatever speed you reach when diving 85 feet in the air.

The most fun was to sit on the top and wait for the police try to climb to the top of the bridge in their uniforms. When they get to the top we jump off and float down the river a mile or two and then get out.

Good times ! :rolleyes:

That's the one. I jumped off the top. It's about 85 feet give or take a few feet. A real adrenaline rush. I remember an American tried to dive off the top about 30 years ago when drunk. He landed on his back and was seriously injured from head to toe from slapping the water on his back at whatever speed you reach when diving 85 feet in the air.

The most fun was to sit on the top and wait for the police try to climb to the top of the bridge in their uniforms. When they get to the top we jump off and float down the river a mile or two and then get out.

Good times ! :D

<_<<_<

I never had the guts my father and others like you have!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good times ! :rolleyes:

holy S!! I never had the guts to jump off something that high..I think my record is about 35 feet--and that seemed like a hundred when I was up there.-My stomache goes in my throat just thinking about it.

holy S!! I never had the guts to jump off something that high..I think my record is about 35 feet--and that seemed like a hundred when I was up there.-My stomache goes in my throat just thinking about it.

Just as at Letchworth... Imagine you hit when a piece of debris is floating past... Say a really big log!

Ouch!

:rolleyes: