With each passing day the optomist in me is starting to

First on defense.....

I really think that the bills addressed problems on defense this year with the right guys.....I am and always have been a big time Marcus Stroud fan. While he is former pro bowler the big thing he brings to us is respect from opposing defensive coordinators.....and while I expect him to have a solid year the big benefactor of this will be McCargo.....who will get less attention and will be in the backfield making plays. Then you have veteran relief man Spencer Johnson who makes me feel the same way when the bills brought in Jim Jeffcoat into Wade Philips defense. A veteran guy who can play multiple positions (including end) who just makes plays. All of this helps Kyle Williams who now plays a relief role and can just concentrate on make the plays when he is in which is a role better suited for him I think. It will be interesting to see how our DE's do based on the improvement from the interior.

While I also bought into the "in a cover 2 you dont need pro bowl corners" but lets face it.....talent win out most of the time regardless of scheme. The thing that I like is that we have a SOLID core of corners now regardless of who plays the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th corner spot. Whitner and Simpson are back together again.

This group of linebackers would have been good even if they were playing behind last years line but the improvements will really bring out their talents. Poz, Crowell, and Mitchell look to me like a bunch of playmakers.

This is a defense that is going to stop the run, create turnovers, and give the ball back to our offense a lot this year.

Then you have the offense.

I dont about anyone else....but doesn't our offense just have the more "home grown" feeling? We didn't make big splashes in free agency.....our main offensive players were all recent draft picks......some of the guys brought in (like in the TE area) probably wont even make the team.

The only area that we seem to have biult in free agency on offense is our OL....which we spent mega bucks to do even though our Pro Bowl LT was a guy brought in as a rookie. They seemed to really solidify last year and look to improve upon that this year.

I am extremely excited that we are going to go back to the traditional fullback......I just get so tired of seeing defenders on the ball to quickly forcing to much effort to produce on offense. Imagine a offensive scheme that actually gives Lynch room to roam underneath because there are multiple receiving threats out in the pattern.

I know that it was only OTA's but it was still nice to hear how our rookie Hardy caught a ball over vetean MgGee......I think we will see a LOT of that this year because teams will focus on Evans......and the greatest benefactor of all of this? Probably our TE or Josh Reed depending on which set we are in. I think the bills will have no problem moving the ball between the 20's......but it will be interesting to see how they do now in the red zone......

I also look for our ST's to return to form now that we are not having to play them on starting offense and defense.

I think this is the year we break the playoff barrier.

One thing to note is that, in today's roundup by Chris Brown, it was noted that Stroud and McCargo rotated at the nose tackle spot, while Spencer Johnson and Kyle Williams rotated at the other tackle position. I thought Stroud and McCargo would line up together, but perhaps they're just experimenting right now.

I agree except I think Simpson is overrated and Poz has not shown enough to depend upon yet. I also like that our #4 & #5 LBs have experience which is good when Bills go to 3-4 set.

I share John's optimism as well but it's tempered by these insights. Brady and Cutler both picked on Poz with play action. He has great potential but he's basically an unproven rookie. I'd also feel better if Whitner was the 'Free'.

I share John's optimism as well but it's tempered by these insights. Brady and Cutler both picked on Poz with play action. He has great potential but he's basically an unproven rookie. I'd also feel better if Whitner was the 'Free'.

This may be a very ignorant question.....but isn't the role of the SS & FS very similar when utilizing the Tampa-2 style defense?

If I'm way off base with this Q, please be kind to me people. :rolleyes:

This is the weak area of Poz game but if we can get some up the middle pressure that will help.

Your post is a breath of fresh air. I too am extremely optimistic about the upcoming season. We made godd moves, the right moves, and are really moving forward as a team. The Bills still playing come January is a very realistic possibility for us, especially if we stay healthy and Trent takes the next step.

I was sharing John's optimism until I woke up one morning a few days ago and remembered that the Bills have a VERY unproven QB and they are still coached by the uber-conservative Dick Jauron.

Love the potential, but I'm slightly fearful of an 8-8 season with lots of 13-10 W's and L's.

I was sharing John's optimism until I woke up one morning a few days ago and remembered that the Bills have a VERY unproven QB and they are still coached by the uber-conservative Dick Jauron.

Love the potential, but I'm slightly fearful of an 8-8 season with lots of 13-10 W's and L's.

I know that a lot of people who want solid stats that a player will be good but with Trent Edwards I say take it on faith......they got the exact kind of weapons that he needs in order to be successfull.....and I am not just talking about Hardy. I think that Royal, Shoeman, Fine will also help.

And I expect them to make a better effort to get Lynch into the passing attack a little more........

I think Edwards will be better with a year under his belt and better supporting cast. And this year I expect us to come away with more 7's instead of 3's since we dont have a OC who is afraid to throw at the red zone.

First on defense.....

I really think that the bills addressed problems on defense this year with the right guys.....I am and always have been a big time Marcus Stroud fan. While he is former pro bowler the big thing he brings to us is respect from opposing defensive coordinators.....and while I expect him to have a solid year the big benefactor of this will be McCargo.....who will get less attention and will be in the backfield making plays. Then you have veteran relief man Spencer Johnson who makes me feel the same way when the bills brought in Jim Jeffcoat into Wade Philips defense. A veteran guy who can play multiple positions (including end) who just makes plays. All of this helps Kyle Williams who now plays a relief role and can just concentrate on make the plays when he is in which is a role better suited for him I think. It will be interesting to see how our DE's do based on the improvement from the interior.

While I also bought into the "in a cover 2 you dont need pro bowl corners" but lets face it.....talent win out most of the time regardless of scheme. The thing that I like is that we have a SOLID core of corners now regardless of who plays the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th corner spot. Whitner and Simpson are back together again.

This group of linebackers would have been good even if they were playing behind last years line but the improvements will really bring out their talents. Poz, Crowell, and Mitchell look to me like a bunch of playmakers.

This is a defense that is going to stop the run, create turnovers, and give the ball back to our offense a lot this year.

Then you have the offense.

I dont about anyone else....but doesn't our offense just have the more "home grown" feeling? We didn't make big splashes in free agency.....our main offensive players were all recent draft picks......some of the guys brought in (like in the TE area) probably wont even make the team.

The only area that we seem to have biult in free agency on offense is our OL....which we spent mega bucks to do even though our Pro Bowl LT was a guy brought in as a rookie. They seemed to really solidify last year and look to improve upon that this year.

I am extremely excited that we are going to go back to the traditional fullback......I just get so tired of seeing defenders on the ball to quickly forcing to much effort to produce on offense. Imagine a offensive scheme that actually gives Lynch room to roam underneath because there are multiple receiving threats out in the pattern.

I know that it was only OTA's but it was still nice to hear how our rookie Hardy caught a ball over vetean MgGee......I think we will see a LOT of that this year because teams will focus on Evans......and the greatest benefactor of all of this? Probably our TE or Josh Reed depending on which set we are in. I think the bills will have no problem moving the ball between the 20's......but it will be interesting to see how they do now in the red zone......

I also look for our ST's to return to form now that we are not having to play them on starting offense and defense.

I think this is the year we break the playoff barrier.

Will the offense be better? I agree with Lee Evans, "...it couldn't be any worse." And that is why my optimism is guarded. I certainly am confident that the defense will be much improved, heck, if the starters last to week 2, they'll be better than last year. But the offense is another story. It was the worst in franchise history. I don't know if it reasonable to expect that they will climb out of a hole that deep and into the playoffs in one year. It'd be nice though.

Will the offense be better? I agree with Lee Evans, "...it couldn't be any worse." And that is why my optimism is guarded. I certainly am confident that the defense will be much improved, heck, if the starters last to week 2, they'll be better than last year. But the offense is another story. It was the worst in franchise history. I don't know if it reasonable to expect that they will climb out of a hole that deep and into the playoffs in one year. It'd be nice though.

And yet the bills were still in it for a wild card until almost the very end.....just food for thought