According to HBO's Real Sports...

MattM

I think you're right. There isn't any grand conspiracy to help the Pets* here. It's only wanting to protect the image of the league.

While I agree that the Pats' and the League's interests are aligned here on wanting this to go away, I'd bet that if it were a less influential team (like ours) we'd get thrown a little more to the wolves than NE and the Krafts have been. New England has always gotten better treatment than most teams in everything from the schedule (playing the same one of your better division opponents after a bye week 4 years in a row--odds of that happening randomly are over 1 in 4,000) to refereeing and I for one don't think it's a coincidence. Goodell was clearly the choice of the large market teams and Kraft was both on the search committee and a big backer, and the Pats have reaped some of those rewards, IMHO.

I think you're right. There isn't any grand conspiracy to help the Pets* here. It's only wanting to protect the image of the league.

Yeah, why would the NFL care about their image? Why should it try to protect their latest "dynasty" from allegations that they cheated their way to 3 SB wins? I wonder. Come on Steely, you're smarter than this.

While I agree that the Pats' and the League's interests are aligned here on wanting this to go away, I'd bet that if it were a less influential team (like ours) we'd get thrown a little more to the wolves than NE and the Krafts have been. New England has always gotten better treatment than most teams in everything from the schedule (playing the same one of your better division opponents after a bye week 4 years in a row--odds of that happening randomly are over 1 in 4,000) to refereeing and I for one don't think it's a coincidence. Goodell was clearly the choice of the large market teams and Kraft was both on the search committee and a big backer, and the Pats have reaped some of those rewards, IMHO.

I think it's success more than anything. If Buffalo, or any other team had the success over the past eight years the Pets* have I think the league would be sweating. It's because they were so successful that it looks really bad. If the Cardinals were caught doing this people would have laughed it off because it probably wouldn't have given them any significant advantage. It's the success the Pets* had that make this a sticky wicket.

I agree with that--every game they play the opposition is going to be jacked for a number of reasons, from Spygate, to rubbing people's noses in it last year, to the dirty play of Harrison and Wilfork, to their general arrogance. In fairness to the Pats, they faced that the last 5-6 games last year, when going undefeated was possible, but it's interesting that that was the stretch when they started to fall to earth a bit, having trouble with teams like the Jets, Ravens and Eagles, not to mention the Giants in the last game of the year. I don't think they got any better this offseason and in fact got older in some spots (WRs (Moss is now 31, I believe) and LBs' despite Mayo and Crable, the latter of which won't start) and worse in others (the secondary comes to mind, as does the LB corps with the loss of Colvin). A key injury or two (if I had to guess, the obvious choices would be Brady of course, and then someone else like Maroney or Wilfork (a little payback for Big Vince is coming at some point)) and this team will fall to earth in a hurry. I also predict that when the inevitable comes and this team does fall to earth, be it this year or another, you'll see some beat downs delivered to Belichick, as coaches have long memories in this league. I'd love to see us partake at some point.....

Can't wait for that ! Let the beatdown start this year!

From Chris Brown's Blog Just as I feared.

For those of you too lazy to click the link:

"Former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has apparently taped an interview with HBO Real Sports Bryant Gumbel this week, which will air tonight and the true advantage provided to the Patriots with their videotaping of signals will be brought to light. In excerpts from the interview released by HBO, Walsh explains how the Patriots were given an edge that I thought was very real, but the NFL chose to dismiss as minimal. Below is the excerpt as provided by Sportsticker.

Walsh told Gumbel that prior to the regular-season opener in 2000,
one of the team’s four quarterbacks told him
(Walsh) of a meeting where the quarterback was handed a tape of the Buccaneers’ defensive coaching signals and told to learn them.

According to Walsh,
the quarterback was told to stand next to then-offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and relay the defensive signals being called by Tampa Bay’s staff. Weis then sent in a play call to quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

Walsh told HBO
the system had a spectacular success rate
, claiming he was told by one of the quarterbacks that “
seventy-five percent of the time Tampa Bay ran the defense that we thought they were going to run
.”

The veracity of Walsh's statements will never be fully known since there's probably no one on this planet that will corroborate his claims, but you don't conduct such practices for eight years unless it provides an advantage. This was the advantage I feared existed. By no means am I dismissing the talent and ability of the Patriots as a team this decade, but if what Walsh says is accurate there should've been stiffer punishment than a fine and a draft pick."

I just watched it. I recorded it. It appears Kraft had no knowledge of this going on. Also, Bellicose gave him and his wife a Christmas present one year. He was in three team pictures and when asked if he thought Bellicose was forgetful and he really couldn't pick him out of a lineup or if Bellicose was just trying to distance himself from Walsh he said he thought Bellicose had a great memory.

The first time he was asked to tape was against the Bucs in pre-season and the Pets* played them in the regular season later and won. Charlie Weis was in on this too. They would relay the information to Bledsoe. One former Pets* offensive player told them what Walsh was saying was completely true. He gave the tapes to Ernie Adams and even asked him if the tapes were acceptable and if there was something more he should be doing. They would have to ask a home team for a third camera on game days, which was unusual, they would tell the opposing teams they wanted closeups of the snap to the kicker and the kick as one excuse.

When asked if he was fired for secretly taping a conversation he said why would he do that? Unfortunately, Kremer never asked why he was fired. Something I'd like to know. It's not as bad as taping the bosses conversation but bad enough for him to keep it secret. Kremer did ask if he thought the punishment fit the crime and he said if they could do it all over again they would.

He held his season tickets up until last year after he left the team. They have now been revoked.

From Chris Brown's Blog Just as I feared.

For those of you too lazy to click the link:

"Former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has apparently taped an interview with HBO Real Sports Bryant Gumbel this week, which will air tonight and the true advantage provided to the Patriots with their videotaping of signals will be brought to light. In excerpts from the interview released by HBO, Walsh explains how the Patriots were given an edge that I thought was very real, but the NFL chose to dismiss as minimal. Below is the excerpt as provided by Sportsticker.

Walsh told Gumbel that prior to the regular-season opener in 2000,
one of the team’s four quarterbacks told him
(Walsh) of a meeting where the quarterback was handed a tape of the Buccaneers’ defensive coaching signals and told to learn them.

According to Walsh,
the quarterback was told to stand next to then-offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and relay the defensive signals being called by Tampa Bay’s staff. Weis then sent in a play call to quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

Walsh told HBO
the system had a spectacular success rate
, claiming he was told by one of the quarterbacks that “
seventy-five percent of the time Tampa Bay ran the defense that we thought they were going to run
.”

The veracity of Walsh's statements will never be fully known since there's probably no one on this planet that will corroborate his claims,
but you don't conduct such practices for eight years unless it provides an advantage. This was the advantage I feared existed. By no means am I dismissing the talent and ability of the Patriots as a team this decade, but if what Walsh says is accurate there should've been stiffer punishment than a fine and a draft pick."