Gas Prices affecting Memorial Day Travel Plans?

Hey, those men died so I could have the right to buy a TV at 25% off. I'd call it a slap in the face if I didn't honor that.

I agree to disagree. You should be conserving or better yet, sending that money saved overseas to them to aid in the fight.

Last time I looked, the government was still pandering to the private citizens to donate items... WTF? If I am supposed to shop and let them handle the war, at least the gov't can provide everything a soldier may need.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to disagree. You should be conserving or better yet, sending that money saved overseas to them to aid in the fight.

Last time I looked, the government was still pandering to the private citizens to donate items... WTF? If I am supposed to shop and let them handle the war, at least the gov't can provide everything a soldier may need.

:thumbsup:

Your detector must be broken.

A little blurb on the news said "soaring" gas prices are affecting some peoples' travel plans for memorial day. This seems insane to me. Average gas price across the country is $3.79, in WNY $3.88.

Let's say it was a full dollar less than that. On a larger, 20 gallon tank, you save $20 going from bone dry empty to full. Even if you are planning a trip to Florida (5-6 fillups?) That's $100-$120. But most are traveling much less distance than that. Would people really change their travel plans because of a $20 difference in a full tank of gas? Sorry, but that's frigging sad, and you probably shouldn't own a car, much less be making travel plans if that difference is the make-or-break decision on travel.

We can't all be "shooters" like you!

We can't all be "shooters" like you!

I KINDA agree with Steve... Shoot me!

Really... There is so much MANY (notice I said many) can cut out of the family/personal budget.

1. Cellphones if you have a home phone

2. Cable TV and this internet

3. Fast food

4. Movies, sporting events

5. Etc... Etc...

It is all about priorities... Sure I would like 2 buck a gallon gas... And as much as I don't like it I will have to find a way to afford gas to get to work... Of course everybody's threshold is at a different amount... 4 bucks is still well under the minumum wage though.

People will be hurt of course... We just have to stop other spending... That is the type of boycott that will have the rest of the economy feeling the wake. It should get noticed.

Really... There is so much MANY (notice I said many) can cut out of the family/personal budget.

3. Fast food

5. Etc... Etc...

6. Travel

It is all about priorities... Sure I would like 2 buck a gallon gas... And as much as I don't like it I will have to find a way to afford gas to get to work... Of course everybody's threshold is at a different amount... 4 bucks is still well under the minumum wage though.

People will be hurt of course... We just have to stop other spending... That is the type of boycott that will have the rest of the economy feeling the wake. It should get noticed.

Fixed

3. Fast food

5. Etc... Etc...

6. UNECESSARY TRAVEL

x2 Fixed!

:thumbsup::blink: My bad!

6 bucks to work is not going to break me. And I live 20 miles away.

x2 Fixed!

:thumbsup::blink: My bad!

6 bucks to work is not going to break me. And I live 20 miles away.

I get that but what I guess my biggest problem with this is the people that use more then they could or should and then complain about it. Like the housewives that drive a Hummer and then go home and B word about gas prices. Or the guy who drives an F250 just because he can then tells me how much he has to spend to fill up his tank. I understand that some of these trucks and vans and jeeps are needed for work or large families but other then that why is someone driving an Excursion? To get noticed is my best guess.

Hey I know let's get the biggest gas guzzling truck and drive around the parking lot for 10 minutes looking for the "closest" spot to get our Dry-cleaning. Then we can go home and complain about everything from gas prices to lack of exercise.

Hey I know let's get the biggest gas guzzling truck and drive around the parking lot for 10 minutes looking for the "closest" spot to get our Dry-cleaning. Then we can go home and complain about everything from gas prices to lack of exercise.

You know, it's painfully easy to fall into that trap. Caught myself doing it a year or so back. Sold the SUV and lost 50 pounds!

The gas situation hasn't hurt us at all just yet, though it kind of sucks to pay almost $4.00 per gallon. When I moved here to GA, I think it was $0.75 per gallon. We haven't changed any summer plans or anything, but we have started taking the 'cheaper car' places. Not because we can't afford it, it's that I don't want to pay that much.

Good for you. I wish even 10% of the country would do the same.

It happens quickly, too. One minute you're mountain biking and jogging daily, the next minute you're stopping for your routine 350 calorie coffee on the way to your desk job. Eating McDonalds for lunch and ordering a pizza for dinner. The next thing you know, you're just shy of 300 pounds and can't clear a set of stairs without stopping to catch your breath. Gotta wonder what the health care situation would look like if no one took that second helping.

Worked in Buffalo this week. So while on the Thruway, kept my cruise control about 65. Passenger cars were passing me the whole way, but I was passing alot of the truckers. Plus by going slower, I gain about 1mpg.

I get that but what I guess my biggest problem with this is the people that use more then they could or should and then complain about it. Like the housewives that drive a Hummer and then go home and B word about gas prices. Or the guy who drives an F250 just because he can then tells me how much he has to spend to fill up his tank. I understand that some of these trucks and vans and jeeps are needed for work or large families but other then that why is someone driving an Excursion? To get noticed is my best guess.

Agree.

I don't mind putting the extra gas in for driving around basically a "brick" (Jeep)... The price for having a little fun (top off/doors off) and utility when driving. Basically a four person motorcycle in the summer!

If it gets too much at 15-20 mpg (which it won't)... I will mothball it and use it just for fun, not a daily driver.

It happens quickly, too. One minute you're mountain biking and jogging daily, the next minute you're stopping for your routine 350 calorie coffee on the way to your desk job. Eating McDonalds for lunch and ordering a pizza for dinner. The next thing you know, you're just shy of 300 pounds and can't clear a set of stairs without stopping to catch your breath. Gotta wonder what the health care situation would look like if no one took that second helping.

:blink:

I am 6-2/245 and can keep up the best of them without barely breaking a sweat!

Now, I don't want to carry myself at 300# though!

:unsure:

Worked in Buffalo this week. So while on the Thruway, kept my cruise control about 65. Passenger cars were passing me the whole way, but I was passing alot of the truckers. Plus by going slower, I gain about 1mpg.

My brother is a trucker... He says it easily takes over 1,100 bucks to fill up the bigger rigs! If not more!

:unsure::blink:

Driving slower helps.

Did a roundtrip to Portland from the Seattle area yesterday. Insetad of driving the limit (70), I kept it at 60 the whole way and drove conservatively. Got 38.6 MPG in my Honda Accord (filled up at the same pump, let it go to the click). On highway trips like that I usually get around 32. Nice bump for getting there just a few minutes later.

Driving slower helps.

Did a roundtrip to Portland from the Seattle area yesterday. Insetad of driving the limit (70), I kept it at 60 the whole way and drove conservatively. Got 38.6 MPG in my Honda Accord (filled up at the same pump, let it go to the click). On highway trips like that I usually get around 32. Nice bump for getting there just a few minutes later.

True. But, time is money... How much you are willing to spend on that time is up to the individual I guess?

True. But, time is money... How much you are willing to spend on that time is up to the individual I guess?

Exactly. Lets look at it this way, it's 157 miles from my house to One Bills Drive.

At 65 MPH, the speed limit on the Thruway, it will take about 2.41 hours.

At 70 MPH, it takes 2.24 hours, about 10 minutes savings.

At 75 MPH, 2.09 hours, about 20 minutes savings.

Not much of a savings for that distance.