Going to Atlanta for the week

jayg

Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants in the perimeter area? We aren't looking for chain restaurants and anything super high end, well maybe one night. Also, how is the rush hour traffic in the perimeter area? I'm taking a class just north of 285 at exit 5b off of 400. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants in the perimeter area? We aren't looking for chain restaurants and anything super high end, well maybe one night. Also, how is the rush hour traffic in the perimeter area? I'm taking a class just north of 285 at exit 5b off of 400. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Atlanta? Pack heat...

Maggiano's just off the Ashford Dunwoody exit near Perimeter mall (one exit from the 400 on ramp). Awesome italian grub. I'll also second the vote for the Varsity. If you want some amazing pizza, head over to Lawrenceville (off 85N) and go to Cosmo's Pizza. This guy had the most respected and well-reviewed pizza joint in downtown Atlanta for years, and then decided to relocate to the quiet life in the burbs earlier this decade. This may be the best pizza I've ever had.

The Hooters are great, the girls there put their northern counterparts to shame. They're model good.

The traffic during rush hours is terrible. Make sure you get into the proper lane to enter/exit well before you get to a ramp, because you'll have a hard time changing lanes. Expect to go bumper-to-bumper and slow with plenty of quick stops when someone cuts lanes without much room.

Not in perimeter but one of the best places for breakfast in the USA..

Flying Biscuit

1655 McLendon Ave

Atlanta, GA 30307

Phone: (404) 687-8888

Seconded.

That place is awesome. Make sure you put the apple butter on the biscuits. Makes all the difference.

Make sure you go to the Georgia Aquarium. Go online and get your reservation. It's a great day. While there make sure you get a red velvet cupcake from Wolfgang Puck's cafe in the food court.

Atlanta? Pack heat...

im loling cause ive spent time in Cincy, and IMO, its a MUCH more dangerous city than most of atlanta. Im sure that both cities have "their bad parts", but we havent had any race riots here in a while. cant say the same for Cincy. and ive never had any problems anywhere ive been in Atlanta. where as I witnessed kids getting mugged in line for a concert in Cincinnati.

but i digress...

why bother with the dance clubs when you can get the same experience in any of our parks?

Guns in parks and on trains, ok

Buying beer on Sunday... obviously a sin too dangerous for us common folk to handle

Strange, eh? I agree with the state parks thing, though. It's not intended to allow people to bring .44's to Six Flags, it's really meant more for the remote state forests and whatnot. I think that is really geared more towards outdoorsmen and whatnot.

The beer on Sunday thing really pisses me off, though. That just came back up and the governor (Sonny!) said something like, "I just don't think this is the right time to address that, not yet."

Stay the hell off of the expressways between 6:30AM and 9:30AM, and then again between 4:00PM and 6:30PM. It's probably going to suck between those hours, too. Just not as bad.

Everyone's going to tell you to go to the World of Coke and the Aquarium. I've never seen anything fun about the World of Coke. Kind of a lame tourist attraction. The GA is cool if you can get in while it's not crowded. I went a year or so ago and I had grown men pushing my 5 year old out of the way to see the stupid penguins. I'd recommend skipping underground. Look at someone the wrong way and you're liable to get hit with a rock in 'a sock.

Honestly, there really isn't a whole hell of a lot to do. Atlanta doesn't have much of a personality like other cities do. It's not an awful place, just kind of, well... "bland." My suggestion would be to get a Vortex hamburger. Those are pretty good. I've never been much of a tourist.

im loling cause ive spent time in Cincy, and IMO, its a MUCH more dangerous city than most of atlanta. Im sure that both cities have "their bad parts", but we havent had any race riots here in a while. cant say the same for Cincy. and ive never had any problems anywhere ive been in Atlanta. where as I witnessed kids getting mugged in line for a concert in Cincinnati.

but i digress...

You move here after freaknik ended? I worked downtown for the last two years of that. I've been chased twice, threatened, and I saw a dude pop 3 rounds into the engine of the guy that rear ended him. I've been to a lot of places. Of all of them, I feel the *least* secure while walking down Marietta St. or Peachtree here in Atlanta.

Just got a room at the Crown Plaza NW. It's about 6 miles from my class. I hope 285 heading east towards 400 isn't that bad for the 4 or 5 miles i need to be on it. I could have gotten closer rooms but went the priceline route and it was only 75 a night.

Just got a room at the Crown Plaza NW. It's about 6 miles from my class. I hope 285 heading east towards 400 isn't that bad for the 4 or 5 miles i need to be on it. I could have gotten closer rooms but went the priceline route and it was only 75 a night.

Actually that is going to be pretty heavy especially during rush hours. 7-9, 3-6 ish, just give yourself a little extra time. My office is in the perimeter area. (right by the perimeter mall) Where is your class? Lots of nice restaurants in the area, Joey D's, Flemings, Cheesecake Factory (at the mall) Chequers, and then the chains like Outback, Taco Mac, etc.. Feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to give you more info.