Vote for Obama or...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you didn't say that the obama joke COULD be found offensive, you said it WAS offensive.

you said it should be offensive to everyone in the 21st century. am i over simplifying that?

why should everyone find a little t shirt at a bar offensive, but not everyone should find the mohammed or madonna poo thing offensive?

and sure the curious george cartoon wasn't that funny, but if they put up the pic that has obama in exactly the same position as a curious george pic, that WOULD be funny. or the stole my bike. or possibly an obama katrina looter meme.

based on what you said tho, those would all be offensive to everyone unless published by a newspaper, even tho the mohammed bomb head one isn't offensive to everyone.

i think this shows (along with your defense of chapelle) that you are just a little politicaly correct (and i'm a little rock and roll!).

Try again. each example you gave is satire because it provides a context for the joke. Just like the countless Bush/monkey pictures out there. The context of the Curious George t-shirt is the black men are monkeys stereotype, and why it's totally different than any of the examples you cited. Note that the bar wasn't selling the t-shirts with Obama and Curious George on them, just a picture of a monkey with a banana. Big difference, if you care to see it.

What is this Comedy 101? Linking an image of the t-shirt is not the same as selling it and proclaiming that it's all in innocent fun.

Is everyone who links the Pixie Peter Pan guy, gay?

Got it. Something cant be funny if its not it the right politically correct context.

Shiit. Thats funny. I'll remember that. :devil:

Got it. Something cant be funny if its not it the right politically correct context.

Shiit. Thats funny. I'll remember that. :devil:

No. There are things that are funny and are not politically correct. And, there are things that are not funny and are not politically correct. The monkey t-shirt is the latter.

No. There are things that are funny and are not politically correct. And, there are things that are not funny and are not politically correct. The monkey t-shirt is the latter.

I thought the monkey shirt WAS racist. But I still thought it was funny. Does that make me a racist? Everybody is not going to see your way on this G. This is like arguing the Hardy gun incident. We dont know all the facts on that one do we. So do we know all the reasons why that bar made the shirts? Racially motivated? Politically motivated? Monetarily motivated? Publicity motivated? Stupidly motivated? Drunkenly motivated?

I thought the monkey shirt WAS racist. But I still thought it was funny. Does that make me a racist? Everybody is not going to see your way on this G. This is like arguing the Hardy gun incident. We dont know all the facts on that one do we. So do we know all the reasons why that bar made the shirts? Racially motivated? Politically motivated? Monetarily motivated? Publicity motivated? Stupidly motivated? Drunkenly motivated?

Since the original point was to gather people's opinions on whether the t-shirts are offensive or not, I'll let you decide.

Try again. each example you gave is satire because it provides a context for the joke. Just like the countless Bush/monkey pictures out there. The context of the Curious George t-shirt is the black men are monkeys stereotype, and why it's totally different than any of the examples you cited. Note that the bar wasn't selling the t-shirts with Obama and Curious George on them, just a picture of a monkey with a banana. Big difference, if you care to see it.

about stereotypes -- muslims as terrorists is perhaps the most popular stereo type around today.

about satire:

could they not be satiring the rampant euphoria of students and what not saying obama is the messiah and will finally lead american into the promised land? young people are on obama's jock like CRAZY, and this shirt looks like a bit of a spoof of the grass roots support he is getting.

so again, based on your criteria, if there is this backdrop to this t shirt then it is in fact satire and not offensive, otherwise people who aren't offended aren't even people in the 21st century.

so either you are insane and have a rediculous critera for determining satire from insults, or you are back tracking a little bit from pounding your chest showing off your shiny good guy badge (TEH OFFENSEEVE TO TEH EVERYONEZ IN TEH CENTURAY!!).

I thought the monkey shirt WAS racist. But I still thought it was funny. Does that make me a racist?

YOU'RE NOT EVEN A PERSON IN THE 21ST CENTURY!!!11

SAVE US FROM THE RACISM OBAMA!!! SAVE US!!!

about stereotypes -- muslims as terrorists is perhaps the most popular stereo type around today.

about satire:

could they not be satiring the rampant euphoria of students and what not saying obama is the messiah and will finally lead american into the promised land? young people are on obama's jock like CRAZY, and this shirt looks like a bit of a spoof of the grass roots support he is getting.

And you get this out of a picture of curious george how, exactly...

about satire:

so again, based on your criteria, if there is this backdrop to this t shirt then it is in fact satire and not offensive, otherwise people who aren't offended aren't even people in the 21st century.

so either you are insane and have a rediculous critera for determining satire from insults, or you are back tracking a little bit from pounding your chest showing off your shiny good guy badge (TEH OFFENSEEVE TO TEH EVERYONEZ IN TEH CENTURAY!!).

Here's my criteria. If you have to mine the depths of the absurd to provide context to a bad joke to justify its cleverness, it's not funny. It's really that simple.

And you get this out of a picture of curious george how, exactly...

it's not the pic per se, it's the idea of a supporting obama t shirt actually making fun of him.

like in 04 someone made flip flops with kerry's name on it -- clearly it was a joke making fun of his positions by spoofing nick nacks promoting the candidate.

i'm not saying what or why the shirt was made, but the above is a plausible reaon why someone would make one as a joke. the point is GG's criteria of something being totally offensive to every human alive or not offensive based on the minutia of some context is insane.

like an above poster said, it can be racist, funny, offensive, not offensive, or some combination to different people in different amounts.

it's just a joke, people getting but hurt about it do so due to personal issues with the topics at hand and white guilt.

Here's my criteria. If you have to mine the depths of the absurd to provide context to a bad joke to justify its cleverness, it's not funny. It's really that simple.

my argument with you isn't about how clever the joke is (frankly i think it was poorly executed, a few ideas on this thread would have been much funnier. they left a lot of racist humor on the table, NOW THAT'S OFFENSIVE!) but that it is and can certainly be satire and it shouldn't be considered offensive.

as a corollary, i think you found this offensive and felt the need to loudly proclaim it as such (and flash the all important good guy badge) because of some latent political correctness/white guilt.

it's not the pic per se, it's the idea of a supporting obama t shirt actually making fun of him.

like in 04 someone made flip flops with kerry's name on it -- clearly it was a joke making fun of his positions by spoofing nick nacks promoting the candidate.

i'm not saying what or why the shirt was made, but the above is a plausible reaon why someone would make one as a joke.

Ok, using your criteria, how does that specific t-shirt spoof Obama? Not the one with him & Curious George side by side, but the one just with the monkey & the banana. What positions does it mock? His stance on free trade by blocking non-Chiquita banana imports?

Ok, using your criteria, how does that specific t-shirt spoof Obama? Not the one with him & Curious George side by side, but the one just with the monkey & the banana. What positions does it mock? His stance on free trade by blocking non-Chiquita banana imports?

it mocks him being black and spoofs grass roots support for him in general. it also mocks his likeness to the cartoon character.

i'm not the one with the insane criteria, hell I'M NOT EVEN A PERSON IN THE 21ST CENTRY!!!!!!!!! [/good guy outrage]

ok

so why is it different?

imo the honest answer from GG will be because he feels ok to see a black guy make jokes about white guys, but the reverse brings up guilt and stuff.

i think that is silly, and to me makes the curious george stuff even funnier! i mean there was a pic on the web showing obama turning and smiling and the curious goere pic was right beside it and the resemblance was more than slight.

It's different because it's okay if you and your brother call each other azzholes, because you know where the other guy is coming from, and you have made a spoken or unspoken agreement that it's okay. If a complete stranger walks up and calls your brother an ****, it's not okay, and both you and your brother should and would take offense to it.

It's different because it's okay if you and your brother call each other azzholes, because you know where the other guy is coming from, and you have made a spoken or unspoken agreement that it's okay. If a complete stranger walks up and calls your brother an ****, it's not okay, and both you and your brother should and would take offense to it.

yeah, i suspect that is GG's reasoning as well.

except black people aren't actually brothers, and the acceptance isn't just on blacks making black jokes (while that is accepted of course) but on them making white jokes as well.

AFAIAK it's all fair game. racism can be wicked lulzy.

yeah, i suspect that is GG's reasoning as well.

except black people aren't actually brothers, and the acceptance isn't just on blacks making black jokes (while that is accepted of course) but on them making white jokes as well.

AFAIAK it's all fair game. racism can be wicked lulzy.

Then don't complain when someone calls you a racist, because you just prided yourself on it.

And "aren't actually brothers" is a foolish argument, the same is true for two white friends calling each other azzholes, but it's not okay if someone they don't know calls one of them an ****.

Then don't complain when someone calls you a racist, because you just prided yourself on it.

And "not actually brothers" is a foolish argument, the same is true for two white friends calling each other azzholes, but it's not okay if someone they don't know calls one of them an ****.

what the hell are you on about with me priding myself on racism? is that even a word? i said it can be funny, falling down and hurting yourself can be funny, did i just prided myself on falling down and hurting myself?

and you should put your own good guy badge away before you swallow it.

are you saying no one can say anything bad about anyone who they don't know or aren't friends with for the sake of humor?

is every single joke you've ever heard save those from the friends you prided yourself on offensive to you then?

are you drunk right now?