Spygate is over

ESPN is reporting that Goodell said no new information had come to light as a result and indicated that the Spygate scandal had run its course.

In an early-afternoon news conference, Goodell stopped short of saying Spygate was a closed matter, but appeared to indicate that the issue had hit a dead end.

"I don't know where else I would turn," Goodell told reporters, adding he did not know of anyone else who had additional information, "but I reserve the right to review new information if it comes up."

"The fundamental information that Matt provided was consistent with what we disciplined the Patriots for last fall," Goodell said.

According to Sal Pal

Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh told commissioner Roger Goodell that he passed along information from the Rams' walk-through before Super Bowl XXXVI to a Patriots assistant coach.
Walsh handed tapes to Patriots executive Ernie Adams, at which point Walsh became unaware of what happened to them
big surprise

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio noted that Walsh told Goodell he knew better than to get caught making these tapes, an indication Walsh and the Patriots knew this taping was against the rules. Previously, Patriots coach Bill Belichick indicated he simply misinterpreted the rules.

I hope that Specter keeps this going and nails them. Goodell wants it over as soon as possible, preventing the Superbowls from getting tainted. Bullseye on what Walsh said on not wanting to get caught with the evidence. I hope the Patriots AND the NFL get nailed over this- take away the antitrust exemption

According to Sal Pal

big surprise

Certainly, not even you, have the temerity to suggest Belichek is a liar, now, do you?!

Or perhaps you're suggesting that Walsh was MORE familiar with league rules than Belichek and the ENTIRE Patriot organization?

Common, man! This is the Patriots we're talking about. America's 9/11 team!

And you call yourself an American.

GO BILLS!!!

several things remain very fishy -

1. the claim that the videos weren't used in the same game (despite evidence that would seem to show the opposite),

2. the fact that the Pats acted internally as though they knew the taping was illegal,

3. and what exactly did Goodell know when he handed down the punishment in the fall.

4. the Rams walk through situation is still questionable since Walsh was on the field during it - this is the one thingwhere I could see the league conspiring to make go away - also they kept saying that no tape exists, but not sure they ever said that there was never a tape, or taping done (though they may have)

also - Goodell is trying to close the door on the accusations of illegal audio interference and mic use because Walsh said they didn't do it - however why would Walsh know if they were doing that? He was basically a video intern. It would, on its face, go far beyond his duties.

I liken it to a good lawyer who finds a character flaw in a witness and just repeatedly brings up that flaw to get all of the witnesses testimony thrown out.

Walsh said there was a tape of the Super Bowl walkthrough. No tape turned up. Therefore, everything that Walsh says "has already been heard" or he's just "looking for his 15 minutes". Nevermind finding out what did actually happen and releasing that information to the public.

I'm sure in the next few days, more information will trickle out (albeit from Spector, not Goodell), but nothing that will make the league look worse than it does already.

I hope that Specter keeps this going and nails them. Goodell wants it over as soon as possible, preventing the Superbowls from getting tainted. Bullseye on what Walsh said on not wanting to get caught with the evidence. I hope the Patriots AND the NFL get nailed over this- take away the antitrust exemption

Root around the web for Specter's campaign contributions, in a few months... :blink:

Root around the web for Specter's campaign contributions, in a few months... :P

What? Are you honestly suggesting that Comcast(Philly) has a problem with the NFL over the NFL Network and they have tuned up their Senator to start trouble with the NFL as leverage? No way, it never happened. :blink:

This is perhaps the only time in my life where I am not angry about political interference in business, because A. I hate the Pats* and their bandwagon fans, and B. The NFL is a monopoly and as such they should expect to be held to a higher standard.

What? Are you honestly suggesting that Comcast(Philly) has a problem with the NFL over the NFL Network and they have tuned up their Senator to start trouble with the NFL as leverage? No way, it never happened. :blink:

This is perhaps the only time in my life where I am not angry about political interference in business, because A. I hate the Pats* and their bandwagon fans, and B. The NFL is a monopoly and as such they should expect to be held to a higher standard.

A monopoly with an antitrust exemption- one that few others have. They receive special treatment, and deserve extra scrutiny

Walsh said there was a tape of the Super Bowl walkthrough. No tape turned up. Therefore, everything that Walsh says "has already been heard" or he's just "looking for his 15 minutes". Nevermind finding out what did actually happen and releasing that information to the public.

no, Walsh never said that, nor did his lawyer. It was the Boston Herald that said a NE Cheatriot's employee taped a walk through and people assumed they meant Walsh. Apparently Walsh watched the famous walk through and told an assistant coach a couple things he noticed, but he never claimed that he taped it or that he had a tape of that practice.

no, Walsh never said that, nor did his lawyer. It was the Boston Herald that said a NE Cheatriot's employee taped a walk through and people assumed they meant Walsh. Apparently Walsh watched the famous walk through and told an assistant coach a couple things he noticed, but he never claimed that he taped it or that he had a tape of that practice.

Right. Which places the ball in the Herald's court.

I dont like the title of this thread. "Spygate is over" Its not over. It'll never be over. What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Bills bombed in Toronto? Hell no!..

negative nancy :rolleyes:

I am a ninny and proud of it.

In the Nordic Race, "ninny" means "one who serves tea from the jugs of the enlightened orbs".

Needless to say, not anyone can be a "ninny".

I was speakin to the father of the redheaded child, not you. But, now that you bring it up, enlightened orbs are positively one of the best things in life. You ninny.

I dont like the title of this thread. "Spygate is over" Its not over. It'll never be over. What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Bills bombed Toronto? Hell no!..

darn it, you're right, I'll change it ESPN Gods Claim This Chapter of Spygate Might Be Over

Just heard Walsh's lawyer? on WGR. He unequivocally stated that Walsh knew what he was doing was wrong, was told not to get caught, tried not to get caught, and that some teams definitely denied him access to certain areas of their fields, because they knew it was against the rules.

Misinterpretation, my a$$.

According to Sal Pal

Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh told commissioner Roger Goodell that he passed along information from the Rams' walk-through before Super Bowl XXXVI to a Patriots assistant coach.

Walsh handed tapes to Patriots executive Ernie Adams, at which point Walsh became unaware of what happened to them

big surprise

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio noted that Walsh told Goodell he knew better than to get caught making these tapes, an indication Walsh and the Patriots knew this taping was against the rules. Previously, Patriots coach Bill Belichick indicated he simply misinterpreted the rules.

If that's true I wonder how Specter and the NFL will handle it. :rolleyes:

If they dropped the anti-trust exemption it would open a can of worms you wouldn't like as a football fan.

This is what his lawyer said;

"Mr. Walsh has never claimed to have a tape of the walkthrough," Levy told The New York Times. "Mr. Walsh has never been the source of any of the media speculation about such a tape. Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article."

All that means is doesn't have the tape and wasn't the source for the reporting. It doesn't mean he didn't tape the Rams walkthrough.