Anyone remember in the early 90's

...the Detroit Lions fans were given a penalty for it being too loud?? I googled it and it took me to the 1989 NFL season on wikipedia....it stated that a new rule was formed in that year stating:

New rules are enacted, including loss of time outs or five-yard penalties, to handle the problems of crowd noise when it becomes too loud that it prevents the offensive team from hearing its signals.

WTF....is this rule still in the books?

...the Detroit Lions fans were given a penalty for it being too loud?? I googled it and it took me to the 1989 NFL season on wikipedia....it stated that a new rule was formed in that year stating:

New rules are enacted, including loss of time outs or five-yard penalties, to handle the problems of crowd noise when it becomes too loud that it prevents the offensive team from hearing its signals.

WTF....is this rule still in the books?

I remember watching a Panthers game in which they recieved multiple penalties for it. The Panther players were on the feild making the hand signal to be quite, they also made an announcement over the PA system to be quite.

It was when they were an expansion team I believe, havn't seen it called since though.

We prolly would have gotton that at the Monday nighter otherwise

absolutely.....I almost suffered 3 heart attacks and a blown larnyx that night

Some of the domed teams still get complaints, as do the Seahawks. No one to my recollection has been given a penalty recently...

I think it was an NFL blue law. It was stupid to me in the first place. Fans pay money to come to the game and be the 12th man and encroaching on their participation in the game is criminal IMO. I don't think I've ever gone to a Bills game where I wasn't raspy after the game for a long time.

The rule was just eliminated. So it was still a rule up untill now, like it said, it hasn't been called in a long time.

EDIT: KC was the last team to recieve the penalty. It happened in 2006 and is the last time I can find it happening.

Thanks, here's something I think is good and yet mystifies me;

PLAYER SAFETY: It will now be a 15-yard penalty (rather than five yards) for a player to make a block below the waist against an eligible receiver while the quarterback is in the pocket. Also, when a player who receives the snap fumbles or muffs the ball, the restrictions on the defensive team relative to illegal contact and an illegal cutblock will end.

What mystifies me is why chop blocks on DL's haven't been illegalized. They are dangerous to DL's too. I just think it's silly to make a block like that for WR's illegal and not address chop blocks on DL's.