The Detroit Pistons

That being said, great win for the Magic tonight! Love Dwight and Jameer and any team that keeps JJ Redick buried 12 deep on the bench for two years is alright by me! :blink:

No doubt about that!

I was so upset when they drafted him. Turns out the ability to play defense and drive to the basket ARE important skills needed to play in the NBA.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt about that!

I was so upset when they drafted him. Turns out the ability to play defense and drive to the basket ARE important skills needed to play in the NBA.

That's why whenever people badmouth the NBA as all dunks and threes I just shake my head and give up. The defense played in the NBA vs college is in another world. There is almost no comparison, it's like NFL defenses vs. Arena league.

As a sixers fan, I harbor no love for the pistons, but I do respect the success they have had for the better part of a decade. Joe Dumars might be the best GM in the sport and if they had a coach better than Flip, then they might have been able to make a real run last year and this year.

Ummm, this is the guy who passed on Carmelo to take Darko because "they already have Tayshaun Prince". Easily one of the worst draft moves since Sam Bowie over Jordan.

Ummm, this is the guy who passed on Carmelo to take Darko because "they already have Tayshaun Prince". Easily one of the worst draft moves since Sam Bowie over Jordan.

While that is a black mark on his record, it is nowhere near the catastrophe people make it out to be. Passing on Carmelo wasn't the problem, it was the fact that Darko turned out to be a piece of sht. I never understand why people think Carmelo would have make the Pistons better. That team does THREE things very well.

1. Rebound

2. Play D

3. Play smart and under control

Carmelo, while a very talented scorer, has yet to do any of those things in the last 4-5 years. Of course it's a little skewed because he now plays for a coach who wants a run-n-gun style, but the fact remains that his style of play is a complete mismatch for the brand of basketball Detroit has been so successful with.

What has Carmelo done that indicates the dude will be a winner in this league?

The pistons have cracked 100 points in 1 game out of 12 in the last 2 eastern conference final series. I am pretty sure Carmelo and his 24+ points per game career average would have helped.

Perhaps...but two things:

1. That didn't quite help the Nuggets during their 1st round sweep.

2. I seriously doubt he would be getting 24-25 per game on Detroit and the difference between his defense and Tay's would cut into that even more.

Forget Carmello, its worse that he passed on Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, IMO.

FANTASTIC call at the end of the game - isolate Hedo instead of running some sort of pick and roll or allowing Jameer to drive and dish. :w00t:

And another great late-game shot by Hedo. The Magic are all but done. :rolleyes:

FANTASTIC call at the end of the game - isolate Hedo instead of running some sort of pick and roll or allowing Jameer to drive and dish. :blink:

And another great late-game shot by Hedo. The Magic are all but done. :w00t:

That was really a rough loss for me to take. :rolleyes:

The Magic have no one to blame but themselves, but I still can't believe the Pistons are allowed to turn the game into a street brawl with the only calls coming when Orlando tries to get away with the same things the Pistons are.

How about Dooling not commiting a foul, getting elbowed in the jaw by Hamilton, but Dooling is called for a foul and a T for arguing. Are you kidding me???? Where was the T for the elbow??

As for Turk, he's been "Mister 4th quarter" all year long, so its no surprise he takes the final shot. He's made several game winners and game tying shots in that situation this year.

Its a shame the Magic allowed the Pistons to slow down the game and play the second half in a half court, possesion by possesion game. The Magic are most successful when the pushing the tempo and getting out and running.

That was really a rough loss for me to take. :rolleyes:

The Magic have no one to blame but themselves, but I still can't believe the Pistons are allowed to turn the game into a street brawl with the only calls coming when Orlando tries to get away with the same things the Pistons are.

How about Dooling not commiting a foul, getting elbowed in the jaw by Hamilton, but Dooling is called for a foul and a T for arguing. Are you kidding me???? Where was the T for the elbow??

As for Turk, he's been "Mister 4th quarter" all year long, so its no surprise he takes the final shot. He's made several game winners and game tying shots in that situation this year.

Its a shame the Magic allowed the Pistons to slow down the game and play the second half in a half court, possesion by possesion game. The Magic are most successful when the pushing the tempo and getting out and running.

I know Hedo has been Mr. 4th Quarter this year, but clearing out and letting him isolate would definitely not be my first choice. He's also had at least a couple questionable shot selections in this playoffs - outside of that last shot (which I thought there should have been a blocking foul called) today he seemed more under control and took good shots and got some good looks.

I do agree about the officiating and the Pistons turning it into a street brawl in the second half. The foul and T on Dooling was so bad I decided to walk the dog and get out of the house for a few minutes - I was that ticked about that call. I even changed the channel when the Cavs-Celts game went to halftime and they started teasing the Magic highlights.

I know I'm a bit biased because I'm a big Orlando Magic fan, and maybe I'm just venting a bit, but this team is awfully full of themselves for a team who has only won one championship in their current run of success. Not to mention that the one championship was against a dysfunctional Lakers team who came into the series overconfident.

The bump, they push, they elbow, they get in players faces, and they get in ref's faces and they get away with it.

Theo Ratliff is even trash talking--and I was thinking..."dude, I didn't even know you were still in the league..STFU!!"

The malfunctioning clock at the end of the third quarter of game 2 and the allowing of that 3 pointer was a horrendous call reminiscent of calls that have gone against the Bills in the past.

Going to the game tonight.

Here's to hoping the Magic can get back into this series with a win tonight! :rolleyes::lol:

:lol::w00t::lol:;)

The officials once again let the Pistons get away with beating up on Howard late in tonight's game, but that was far from the reason they got eliminated. They couldn't hit a free throw, turned the ball over like crazy, and the Pistons generally played with much more poise and confidence than Orlando. I am hoping that it was a great learning experience for the Magic, because some guys were absolutely awful at times tonight - bad decisions with the ball, bad shot selections, not boxing out and standing around watching the Pistons grab a ton of offensive rebounds. Hedo, once again, drove me nuts. In this series he looked pretty much nothing like the guy we've seen play most of the year.

I still think they are a pretty good team, they just played with a lot of immaturity at times. Need to get a little more help for Howard inside and maybe a veteran to come in and settle the young guys down when they get all hyper.

The officials once again let the Pistons get away with beating up on Howard late in tonight's game, but that was far from the reason they got eliminated. They couldn't hit a free throw, turned the ball over like crazy, and the Pistons generally played with much more poise and confidence than Orlando. I am hoping that it was a great learning experience for the Magic, because some guys were absolutely awful at times tonight - bad decisions with the ball, bad shot selections, not boxing out and standing around watching the Pistons grab a ton of offensive rebounds. Hedo, once again, drove me nuts. In this series he looked pretty much nothing like the guy we've seen play most of the year.

I still think they are a pretty good team, they just played with a lot of immaturity at times. Need to get a little more help for Howard inside and maybe a veteran to come in and settle the young guys down when they get all hyper.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

They had their fair share of chances to win games 2, 4, and 5, but inexperience and turnovers ended those chances.

Although, its obvious that the overly-physical play of the Pistons led to those poor descisions and turnovers.