Mark my words.......

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Whitner is in a good place to have his breakout year. He should be able to roam free a bit more and be more of a playmaker...he certainly isn't among the elite safeties playing up to this point, but he's getting there. Plus he's got a website now so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

http://www.dwhitner20.com/home.php

Doesn't he have a "baby momma", and was once hauled in for alleged domestic abuse? And still playing on America's All-Angel Team? Tsk, tsk. ;)

According to several people here, he needs to be a "game changing" player.

... or just make a play every once in a while. That would be nice! ;)

The excuses are gone this year, with the upgrades on D... though I'm sure the peanut gallery will rush to his defense regardless of how average his plays is.

According to several people here, he needs to be a "game changing" player.

Well, it wouldn't hurt, ya know? Marv and Jauron thought so much of Whitner that he passed on offers to trade down, as well as other very good players that this football team needed.

It would be cool if he could take over a few games, and perhaps stay in town a little while after the day he can bolt, like our other first round dbs. ;)

It would be cool if he could take over a few games, and perhaps stay in town a little while after the day he can bolt, like our other first round dbs. :ph34r:

If he sticks around, we might eventually have to draft another position in the first round some year. I know you wouldn't be happy with that.... ;)

... or just make a play every once in a while. That would be nice! :P

The excuses are gone this year, with the upgrades on D... though I'm sure the peanut gallery will rush to his defense regardless of how average his plays is.

I think this year we'll see whether he is just a very good solid player.....or an elite player. Having him blossom into a star would be great but I'd certainly be content with a very good solid player.

People should really try not to over-value what is expected from every decent draft pick......and try not to under-value the benefits of a very good solid player.

I think this year we'll see whether he is just a very good solid player.....or an elite player. Having him blossom into a star would be great but I'd certainly be content with a very good solid player.

People should really try not to over-value what is expected from every decent draft pick......and try not to under-value the benefits of a very good solid player.

While I don't expect him to become a top 3 safety in this league, I do expect him to make a few big plays here and there. He is one of the veterans of this defense now, has been in the same system for 3 years -- and if Stroud and Poz play up to their billing, the opportunities should be plentiful.

Since this thread is still around, I'll just comment....

I'm not sure if you were paying attention, bur he was an elite DB last year. I was just in awe watching some of his tackles and plays on the ball. He held that defense together. So, to me this thread is just silly. Barring injury, there is no reason to think he can not be elite again this year.

I'm not sure if you were paying attention, bur he was an elite DB last year.

Your standards are shockingly low.

He was solid and played every single snap except for the season finale. Was a great leader and knew the scheme very well.

Elite? Far from it.

Your standards are shockingly low.

He was solid and played every single snap except for the season finale. Was a great leader and knew the scheme very well.

Elite? Far from it.

Ah. Interceptions = Elite, eh?

That guy made some of the toughest (and most important) tackles I've seen since Milloy's first year with the team.

That guy made some of the toughest (and most important) tackles I've seen since Milloy's first year with the team.

all that matters is stats, or in the case of guys like bob sanders being loved in the media.

ow every non lineman is a write off. db's are totally replacable, none have ever made a real contribution to a pro football team. back up left tackles are worth the 11th over all pick tho.

oh, and dbs don't help the pass d

Nope, not necessarily.

He made the tackles he was supposed to make -- that's what an NFL-caliber strong safety does. I also saw him leave plays on the table, particularly in run support, where he'd have the guy in his grasp and didn't quite make the play. He also had some issues covering tight ends.

Again, he has a long way to go before he can be classified as "elite." He's certainly being paid like an elite player though :P