TOTALLY off topic - my son's varsity volleyball team

last game of the regular season.

My son is the captain of his HS volleyball team and they have gone undefeated in head to head matchups the entire season with the last game of the season against their arch rivals from across town tomorrow.

- 12-0 (I think that is the amount of games)

- Also they took 1st place in one invitational tournement and 3rd in the other.

I myself hope they dont let down because they demolished them the first time they played this year....but hey undefeated seasons dont come along every year.

Make sure he gets a good dinner tonight man GoodLuck.

Got that covered....:thumbsup:

One other thing I would like to point out as I am thinking about....not bills related but is football related....

I know a lot of people think of boys playing volleyball and scoff (I did at first as well.....I wanted him to run track or play basketball) but his trainer was actually all for it.

On thing that volleyball does is really biuld up your short area quickness and vertical......one of the things my sons varsity team really likes to do is use him a lot as a rover LB/highbrid safety that moves around covering players that can hurt you on offense (believe it or not it is hard to find players that can play the run AND cover) but he has not had great leaping ability in the past and sometimes would lose jumpballs thrown to tight ends or tall wideouts.

His vertical is off the charts now as he is a outside hitter in volleyball and needs to get high above the net in order to get good technique on his spikes.....

I cant wait to see how this translates out onto the football field going against the taller receivers.

Got that covered....:thumbsup:

One other thing I would like to point out as I am thinking about....not bills related but is football related....

I know a lot of people think of boys playing volleyball and scoff (I did at first as well.....I wanted him to run track or play basketball) but his trainer was actually all for it.

On thing that volleyball does is really biuld up your short area quickness and vertical......one of the things my sons varsity team really likes to do is use him a lot as a rover LB/highbrid safety that moves around covering players that can hurt you on offense (believe it or not it is hard to find players that can play the run AND cover) but he has not had great leaping ability in the past and sometimes would lose jumpballs thrown to tight ends or tall wideouts.

His vertical is off the charts now as he is a outside hitter in volleyball and needs to get high above the net in order to get good technique on his spikes.....

I cant wait to see how this translates out onto the football field going against the taller receivers.

Volleyball is a fun sport to watch. I never really got into playing it until my senior year but its a great sport. Good luck your son John

:thumbsup:

He has been part of just one team that had a chance to go undefeated. His junior pee wee Junior All American Football team was undefeated going into their championship.....and lost to Chino Hills

He played great...but it is a team sport. I tried to tell him that after the game but it stuck with him for about 2 weeks I think...now he sees an opportunity to do it again.

In volleyball when you are a outside hitter your "power hits" have as much to do with the set you get from a teamate (this is where another kid controls it and puts it in the air....placing it in a position where the hitter can get a running start and drive the ball into the ground on the opponents side of the net.

Brett and his setter were working on their sets well after the rest of the team had gone home from practice the last couple of days. He wants it bad.

A couple of questions for my own curiosity, please.

How tall is he (& how does that compare to the Middle Hitters)?

You say his vertical is "off the charts". Can you estimate what it is.

Thanks.

esjaydee,

I would say he is right about 6' right now......actually kinda short for volleyball standards.....I think your middle hitters are supposed to be a little taller because they are also "defenders" or guys that go up to block shots over the net in the middle.......

A couple of years ago you literally couldn't get piece of paper under his feet I think.....he was just not a good jumper. Now he can get up over the net easily to put down a spike......and he can hang on a basketball rim from a standing jump (meaning not a running start) and dunk a basketball (It isnt pretty....but he can do it)

Since he is interested in it I am just now learning the ins and outs of the volleyball......

I played volleyball year-round through high school. I credit it with a great vertical that I still have at 37 and strong shoulders. 19 years since I stopped playing volleyball, I have the exact same vertical I had in school. (Easy to measure because I can still just barely dunk a basketball--and jumped exactly the same height in high school.) I play basketball now but volleyball was fun back then.

I played volleyball year-round through high school. I credit it with a great vertical that I still have at 37 and strong shoulders. 19 years since I stopped playing volleyball, I have the exact same vertical I had in school. (Easy to measure because I can still just barely dunk a basketball--and jumped exactly the same height in high school.) I play basketball now but volleyball was fun back then.

I assume you've stayed about the same weight. Congrats. Roughly speaking, for an avg jumper, every 10% change in your mass equates to a 3" difference in your vertical.

I started playing vball when I was around 30 yrs old & I don't think it's improved my jump (except if I didn't play, I'd probably weigh 300 lbs) and it is substantially less than when I was in HS (due to me being ~60 lbs heavier). Then again, if I didn't play vball, why would I need to jump?

Best of luck

My son plays volleyball for his HS also. There is the same train of thought- it's not as manly as football. Everyone thinks that until they take a spike in the face.

last game of the regular season.

My son is the captain of his HS volleyball team and they have gone undefeated in head to head matchups the entire season with the last game of the season against their arch rivals from across town tomorrow.

- 12-0 (I think that is the amount of games)

- Also they took 1st place in one invitational tournement and 3rd in the other.

I myself hope they dont let down because they demolished them the first time they played this year....but hey undefeated seasons dont come along every year.

Congrats!! So out of all the best of three or five series, they never lost a game? Or is it that they never lost a series/match? Just wondering. :D

Never lost a match......its tough to win all the games.

Well....update. The search for perfection continues as they dropped their match tonight and went 14-1 on the season.

You know.....its funny how you look at the little things after something like this.

- Coach has a kid on the team......from the games I saw this kid should have been rotating in not starting this year as he was just not a very good player. Credit our opponent who obviously scouted us from the last time we played them (we demolished them in that game on their court) as they went right at him and didn't let up....and of course the coach had no intention of pulling his son.

- Following the game......you can tell who which players the undefeated (or losing a game) really mattered to. It was here that my son really shown his worth. He dissapeared for a few minutes (I know he was probably balling his eyes out somewhere) then came back where the team had assembled after the game where there were kids on the team who were devestated and losing it.....I mean...how many times do you get a chance to go unbeaten over a season? It was here that I saw the beginnings of real leadership as a team captain .....consoling his teamates including the ones that didnt have a good game. Had he been a selfish player he would have been po'd that he had a ton of kills and saves during the game only to lose.

It was a win win as a parent......fun to watch them have a great season while seeing my son really starting to emerge as a true leader.

Oh well.....on to CIF playoffs.