Realistic look at the playoffs

Obviously the playoffs are the goal for 2008. It's easier said than done, so I figure we should take a look at the landscape:

Playoff Guarantees

New England Patriots

Indianapolis Colts

Solid Bets

San Diego Chargers

Pittsburgh Steelers

Let's just say those are your four division winners. After that, the Bills would have to compete with the following teams for the remaining two playoff spots:

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Tennessee Titans

Truthfully, I'm not 100% confident, because I really like what the Jaguars are doing and I think they will be there. So between us, Cleveland, Denver and Tennessee, anything can happen. What are you guys thinking of those teams?

Obviously the playoffs are the goal for 2008. It's easier said than done, so I figure we should take a look at the landscape:

Playoff Guarantees

New England Patriots

Indianapolis Colts

Solid Bets

San Diego Chargers

Pittsburgh Steelers

Let's just say those are your four division winners. After that, the Bills would have to compete with the following teams for the remaining two playoff spots:

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Tennessee Titans

Truthfully, I'm not 100% confident, because I really like what the Jaguars are doing and I think they will be there. So between us, Cleveland, Denver and Tennessee, anything can happen. What are you guys thinking of those teams?

Regardless of who else looks good this year, if the Bills win 11 games, they're in. 10 games…maybe.

Don't count the Bills out as AFC East champs. Maybe 12/28 in Buffalo will decide that.

Anyway, the Bills play all the teams you listed except the Titans. I get the feeling that a lot of teams will still be in the race right up to the end. December for the Bills = dolphins, jets, broncos, pats*.

Broncos I don't find to be legitamite playoff contenders just yet, they didn't prove anything to me last season or this offseason.

Cleveland depends on how DA does this year and if the defense is truly patched up, and Tennessee rests solely on the shoulders of Mr. Young.

As for the guarantees and solid bets?

Any Given Sunday my friend...

I'd put the Jags as a more solid bet than the Steelers. In fact, I think of those teams you mentioned, the Steelers and Broncos will be out of the playoff hunt before Rindell kicks off to the Pats in Week 17. And really, the Titans are a huge question mark. They didn't have a very good draft, and Vince Young is way too unpredictable to say whether they will have a shot at the post-season or if they are going to have a shot at a top-10 draft choice.

I think the AFC playoff seeding will be:

1. Jags

2. Pats*

3. Browns

4. Chargers

5. Colts

6. Bills

Playoff Guarantees

New England Patriots

Indianapolis Colts

Solid Bets

San Diego Chargers

Pittsburgh Steelers

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Tennessee Titans

With Pitt's intricate schedule, Im not sure they could be put in the 'solid bet' category (despite their good draft). With that said, Jac perhaps is more of a solid bet so presuming its Jac,SD, NE and Ind that leaves Den, Pitt, Clev, and Tenn.

Tenn really hindered Vince's development by not pursuing a WR via draft or Free agency. However, their Def is still very solid and Vince still makes eye dropping plays. Be that as it may, with a medicore running game and Young's lack of WR's to win crucial games, I do not think their Def can carry them into this years post season.

Denver keeps taking a couple steps back the last couple of seasons. Cutler still has not validated himself as the 'man' and w/ Walker's depature it is not going to get easier for him. Lynch and others are aging and by no stretch will they be a tough def to contend w/ in the AFC despite having the 'Champ.' I rule them out.

Despite an intricate schedule, Pitt has only got better by bringing Sweed and Mendehall in. Their running game has a serious 1-2 threat now and Sweed will be huge with Ward and Holmes recieving most of the coverage. Presuming Ben stays healthy they will at least get a WC spot (not sure if they will beat Clev for Div).

Clev is another team that has improved. However, their playoff hopes are entirely contingent upon Derek Anderson. Not sure if he is a one year wonder but if he is not and can duplicate the same #'s, then there in.

Thus, if Derek Anderson cant lead his team like he did last season then I think we have a good chance of making the playoffs. If he can then I think we will have to beat Pitt for the last spot (either Jac or Ind will secure the other WC spot) in which are chances will signifcantly diminish.

I'm not so sure about Indy anymore. Yes, they still have Peyton, but they've lost OL, DL, TE, LB's and Marvin is a ? It's a matter of physics, no? Anyway, I also don't consider the Timlin Steelers, Titans or Broncos as legitimate either.

I don't know, but it's hard to keep my doomshield in place over the upgrade in talent the last couple years and what I consider a favorable schedule. As for QB play, yes we're likely to have to get a win from the QB but mostly just don't lose from that spot. Edwards seems bright enough to know when not to throw.

I'm optimistic for the playoffs this season.

With Pitt's intricate schedule, Im not sure they could be put in the 'solid bet' category (despite their good draft). With that said, Jac perhaps is more of a solid bet so presuming its Jac,SD, NE and Ind that leaves Den, Pitt, Clev, and Tenn.

Tenn really hindered Vince's development by not pursuing a WR via draft or Free agency. However, their Def is still very solid and Vince still makes eye dropping plays. Be that as it may, with a medicore running game and Young's lack of WR's to win crucial games, I do not think their Def can carry them into this years post season.

Denver keeps taking a couple steps back the last couple of seasons. Cutler still has not validated himself as the 'man' and w/ Walker's depature it is not going to get easier for him. Lynch and others are aging and by no stretch will they be a tough def to contend w/ in the AFC despite having the 'Champ.' I rule them out.

Despite an intricate schedule, Pitt has only got better by bringing Sweed and Mendehall in. Their running game has a serious 1-2 threat now and Sweed will be huge with Ward and Holmes recieving most of the coverage. Presuming Ben stays healthy they will at least get a WC spot (not sure if they will beat Clev for Div).

Clev is another team that has improved. However, their playoff hopes are entirely contingent upon Derek Anderson. Not sure if he is a one year wonder but if he is not and can duplicate the same #'s, then there in.

Thus, if Derek Anderson cant lead his team like he did last season then I think we have a good chance of making the playoffs. If he can then I think we will have to beat Pitt for the last spot (either Jac or Ind will secure the other WC spot) in which are chances will signifcantly diminish.

Hey man, somebody has to win the AFC North. It looks like Pittsburgh or Cleveland will win and the other could be on the outside looking in. I think the teams are:

Indy

NE

SD

Pittsburgh

Jacksonville

Buffalo/Cleveland

Tennessee just doesn't look like they are going to do much (and I'm not a big VY fan).

It's an invisible glass dome that wards off heartbreak. Mine has a hole in it I think.. :lol:

Mine doesn't have a hole, but it stops working a lot. Like when its week 15 and they have suprised and shocked me with magic all season (and need to win one more big game to realyl stand a good chance at the playoffs). Just stoppped working that day.

Indy

NE

SD

Pittsburgh

Jacksonville

Buffalo/Cleveland

Oh man.. you people and your predictions. Let me predict, with the worst 6 teams in the AFC.. and we'll see who is closer at the end of the season.

So I think these teams will be in the playoffs:

Jets, Dolphins, Raiders(lol), Kansas City, Ravens, and the Houston Texans.

I'm not so sure about Indy anymore. Yes, they still have Peyton, but they've lost OL, DL, TE, LB's and Marvin is a ? It's a matter of physics, no? Anyway, I also don't consider the Timlin Steelers, Titans or Broncos as legitimate either.

I don't know, but it's hard to keep my doomshield in place over the upgrade in talent the last couple years and what I consider a favorable schedule. As for QB play, yes we're likely to have to get a win from the QB but mostly just don't lose from that spot. Edwards seems bright enough to know when not to throw.

I'm optimistic for the playoffs this season.

Not sure about Indy??

Marvin basically did not play last year. Gonzales will be in his second year... He was terrific down the stretch

OL?? They lost 1 guard Jake Scott?? They have the best OL coach in the league. Howard Mudd. Devoted much of the draft to the line... Last years LT Tony Ugoh was terrific as a rookie. He will only get better.

DL- They get Freeney back... You are worried that they lost Booger Mcfarland who was on IR all year??

TE- A backup TE?? Dallas Clark is the guy. Are the Bills terrified Gaines is gone?

LB'ers... Who did they lose? Surely you dont mean future HOF'er Rocky Boiman??

First year in the new dome... Tonys last year. The Colts will send him out the right way. Not guaranteeing a SuperBowl but they will make the playoffs..

Not sure about Indy??

Marvin basically did not play last year. Gonzales will be in his second year... He was terrific down the stretch

OL?? They lost 1 guard Jake Scott?? They have the best OL coach in the league. Howard Mudd. Devoted much of the draft to the line... Last years LT Tony Ugoh was terrific as a rookie. He will only get better.

DL- They get Freeney back... You are worried that they lost Booger Mcfarland who was on IR all year??

TE- A backup TE?? Dallas Clark is the guy. Are the Bills terrified Gaines is gone?

LB'ers... Who did they lose? Surely you dont mean future HOF'er Rocky Boiman??

First year in the new dome... Tonys last year. The Colts will send him out the right way. Not guaranteeing a SuperBowl but they will make the playoffs..

Easy, just voicing an opinion.. They have Polian-which is a bigger ace than the players you named. But they can't beat NE again and San Diego knocked 'em out at home in their first playoff game. With games @ Minny,GB,Pitt, Clev and SD to go with the Pats @ home and tough division games, playing in a stadium that's as new to them as it is to their opponents makes struggling to make the playoffs conceivable. For all the giddiness around here for '08, there'd be much less if we had to deal with that schedule.

Best wishes! (as long as they don't interfere with Buffalo's chase)