Bills still want Losman

K-Gun10

LOSMAN SITUATION: It shouldn't be overly surprising that Bills COO Russ Brandon expressed a commitment to J.P. Losman for the 2008 season. Granted things can change, but there really aren't any other quarterback options that are better than Losman out there, so for a team gunning for the playoffs, why pull the best backup option off of your team? I understand there may be hard feelings, and J.P. probably wants to start, but quarterbacks get hurt in this league. In fact both Losman and Edwards got hurt last season. Does this mean he won't get traded before the 2008 season? That's tough to say. Some other team could lose a quarterback to injury in training camp and be desperate and offer the Bills the moon. You never know what can happen. Football is a fluid business so it's difficult to deal in absolutes. But they're not actively shopping Losman as many outside observers thought they would this weekend.

That being said I do expect the Bills to bring in at least one undrafted free agent at quarterback this week as a fourth arm.

---

so now they'll make like the Sabres and watch him walk after the season and not get anything in return. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!! :bag:

one more cheap year of serviceable backup QB who already knows the system, on a team previously plagued with injuries >>>>> 4th round pick in next years draft

is im guessing how the FO is looking at it. makes sense.

so now they'll make like the Sabres and watch him walk after the season and not get anything in return. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

The difference being...it doesn't sound like the Bills are really being offered anything for JP.

The Bills have to decide if givng him away for next to nothing, is really better than having to sign another vet (and there are not many options out there), simply for the chance to draft another 6th or 7th rounder. I like JP and all, but he isn't anywhere near as desirable in the NFL, as Briere or Drury were in the NHL. If somebody wants him bad enough, they will make an offer the Bills can't refuse. Until then, holding on to him only makes sense. With the way the NFL is, you know, if he is on the roster, JP will get another chance to start at some point. Baltimore, Atlanta and Minnesota (the only places I could conceivably have seen him going in as a starter) all drafted QB's this weekend. In time, I suspect, JP will come to the conclusion that going into the season as the Bills #2 guy, is no worse than being a #2 guy somewhere else.

Lots of players leave a team for nothing - it means they are not worth anyting in a trade - but for some reason because he was picked in first round we need to get something for him or it is a blown front office move. Didn't hear that about Eric Flowers or Mike Williams but they do not have the fans who invested emotionally in the players.