Another CB !!? with the 4th pick... WHY!!

BILLS #1

I too am mystified by this pick. For a team running a cover-2, and for all the talk that letting Clements go was okay because the cover-2 protects CBs or "you don't need corners with the cover-2", we sure as heck are now spending alot of resources on corners: McKelvin, R.Corner, and William James too.

Not to mention, Greer did pretty well last year.

I don't get this, really. Dick is obsessed with the secondary is all I can think. Bad news for us fans, I believe, as the lines are where the game of football is really won.

greer was part of a secondary that let moss and co destroy us.

our biggest problem last year was when we went against 4 wide the 3rd and 4th guys were wide open all day and we'd give up conversions on 3rd and long.

if we have 4 guys who can cover we can stop that and blitz when WE WANT TO not when we sneak the blitz in.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills Select Another DB: The Bills may have reached for their first of two fourth round selections. They selected Akron CB Reggie Corner who is a bit undersized at under 5' 10" tall. He does have outstanding leaping ability. He has some power issues that may hurt him in run stopping. The Bills have yet to address the ever elusive tight end need. Cleveland jumped ahead of the Bills and took TE Martin Rucker. Another need is center but two were picked in a row early in the fourth round

This should explain to some of you why we didn't do what most of you though we'd do. I like Corner. His leaping ability makes up for his height.

Huh? :doh: Brady goes down? Drafting another CB? Brady lost to the Giants because of their tremendous pressure on him. Not because the Giants had the best secondary.

It was meant for the entire draft not just one player. If your WR's are covered you hold on to the ball and get smacked.

I too am mystified by this pick. For a team running a cover-2, and for all the talk that letting Clements go was okay because the cover-2 protects CBs or "you don't need corners with the cover-2", we sure as heck are now spending alot of resources on corners: McKelvin, R.Corner, and William James too.

Not to mention, Greer did pretty well last year.

I don't get this, really. Dick is obsessed with the secondary is all I can think. Bad news for us fans, I believe, as the lines are where the game of football is really won.

Just to clear one thing up here.It is people like you saying corners aren't important in the cover-2.Not once have I ever heard any coach that runs the cover-2 say corners are not that important to run my offense.I get so tired of reading this comment.

And by the way the front office has spent the better part of the last year and a half building the lines that you seem to think they have forgotten about.

REALLY looking forward to the interviews with the staff about this pick. I'm all for depth at this position, but even the most ardent "draft guru" detractor has gotta be wondering what this pick is all about.

I'll reserve judgment till I hear from the front office.

AMEN, brother! :doh: I am tired of Brady throwing 25 TD's against us in one game. You can never have enough CB's.

I see what you and others are saying. But, case in point, we got 6 turnovers against Dallas, but still lost the game because our offense could only score 3 points. At some point, you have to do something on the offensive side. We had a really bad offense last season, what have we done to address it?

Just to clear one thing up here.It is people like you saying corners aren't important in the cover-2.Not once have I ever heard any coach that runs the cover-2 say corners are not that important to run my offense.I get so tired of reading this comment.

And by the way the front office has spent the better part of the last year and a half building the lines that you seem to think they have forgotten about.

I NEVER said that corners weren't important. I was just telling you what the people who were trying to downplay Clements leaving were saying. However, two corners this high, with William James signed, seems like a bit of overkill. What about some O-Line depth? a TE? a FB?

But it also could mean the Bills do have 6 good ones. :doh:

If they thought their corners were good enough they wouldn't be drafting one in the 1st and one in 4th.

In fact with the number of 3rd downs they gave up it sure seems like they needed help.

I've never bought into the idea that Position X doesn't matter in Scheme Y. But optimists will be optimists no matter what. In other words I don't think a lot of the folks arguing about the necessity of the position were saying it 2 years ago when Clements walked.

edit - what BenchBledsoe said.

I see what you and others are saying. But, case in point, we got 6 turnovers against Dallas, but still lost the game because our offense could only score 3 points. At some point, you have to do something on the offensive side. We had a really bad offense last season, what have we done to address it?

1. No more fairchild.

2. Audibles are back on the menu.

3. James Hardy.

4. The draft is not over yet.