ESPN's draft coverage was atrocious

Truthfully, I didn't like the speed of day one today. But that aside, I thought ESPN did a terrible job. I've never had a problem with their coverage because I'm used to it, it feels right. But this year, they stopped going to the podium after round one. Half of the picks in round two happened during commercials. They wouldn't get to highlight packages until at least five more picks passed by. They would should guys on cameras set up in the houses talking on their cell phone and smiling, then they didn't even end up getting selected at that pick.

When the Bills were selecting James Hardy, I do not care what kind of ball Joe Flacco throws. There will be hours and hours for them to rehash that tomorrow during the later rounds.

I thought Steve Young was awful. Especially when they headed to the podium for the Cardinals picks and during the silence for dramatic effect, he just HAD to blurt out "running back." And obviously, he was wrong.

I was thrilled with the Bills draft today. I just thought the coverage was the worst yet. It makes me wonder what exactly is going on at the NFL Network.

Truthfully, I didn't like the speed of day one today. But that aside, I thought ESPN did a terrible job. I've never had a problem with their coverage because I'm used to it, it feels right. But this year, they stopped going to the podium after round one. Half of the picks in round two happened during commercials. They wouldn't get to highlight packages until at least five more picks passed by. They would should guys on cameras set up in the houses talking on their cell phone and smiling, then they didn't even end up getting selected at that pick.

When the Bills were selecting James Hardy, I do not care what kind of ball Joe Flacco throws. There will be hours and hours for them to rehash that tomorrow during the later rounds.

I thought Steve Young was awful. Especially when they headed to the podium for the Cardinals picks and during the silence for dramatic effect, he just HAD to blurt out "running back." And obviously, he was wrong.

I was thrilled with the Bills draft today. I just thought the coverage was the worst yet. It makes me wonder what exactly is going on at the NFL Network.

Yeah, they all seemed kind of off today. Keyshawn wore another atrocious get up, Boomer and Mort going back and forth, Kiper wasn't paying attention a couple of times, and there were WAY too many comercials.

Still loved our picks though. <_<

Can anyone think of a name to call it? I was hard to look at but they had so many highlights going on that you didn't have to look at it for too long. <_<

I could not put together an outfit that went worse together if I tried. Lets see- paisley, zebra stripes and polka dots. That is the best I can come up with- and Meshawn beat it!

there were way too many commercials. And that clown outfit Meshawn was wearing was hard to look at

One of my friends sells high end suits and other clothing. He was watching the draft with us and he's always the first to comment on how someone ties their tie, how good/crappy their clothes are etc. He had some gems about keyshawn. Among other things he called it a "Clown Suit" and commented that "thats what happens when you get dressed in the dark".

One of my friends sells high end suits and other clothing. He was watching the draft with us and he's always the first to comment on how someone ties their tie, how good/crappy their clothes are etc. He had some gems about keyshawn. Among other things he called it a "Clown Suit" and commented that "thats what happens when you get dressed in the dark".

does he work for Tom James?

All I had to get buy with was the NFL network, I thought they did a fair job I was flipping between playoff basketball/hockey and the draft so commercials weren't a problem. I was impressed with Mayock he was bang on for almost every pick it was uncanny, I seriously wondered if the commissioner was telling him the selection before hand.

One thing that pissed me off is the whole time the saints were on the clock and including when they made their second round selection they interviewed Jerry Jones about his two picks, than of course the Bills come on the clock and they spend all the time talking about Tracy Porter the guy the saints selected. Once James Hardy is selected they give a good analysis of what he brings to the table... its just with Kelly, Sweed and Hardy still on the board and the Bills obviously taking a WR it would of been nice to here a final comparison between these players and what they bring to the Bills. Aside from that though I enjoyed the coverage and the reducing time limits from down to 10 and seven just made the draft experience a bit speedier.

I was playing around with my TV one day and unintentionally blocked ESPN. I don't know the code I blocked it in, but I know I haven't missed the channel one bit. I'm glad I did. I get the NFL network and what they did exceeded ESPN 100 times over. Kiper is nothing. He's a fan, never played the game, has no real knowledge to add thats relevant. At least NFL network had guys who played the game, and watched film. They had reporters who seemed to be 1000 times more entrenched in what was really happening then ESPN ever could. I'm all NFL network for my draft needs from this point forward. For awhile I thought NFL network was getting inside information, they just didn't miss very often. Wouldn't surprise me if they did, even if that wasn't the case, I'm sure as hell not going to feel sorry for MTVESPN. That network is a joke.

I was playing around with my TV one day and unintentionally blocked ESPN. I don't know the code I blocked it in, but I know I haven't missed the channel one bit. I'm glad I did. I get the NFL network and what they did exceeded ESPN 100 times over. Kiper is nothing. He's a fan, never played the game, has no real knowledge to add thats relevant. At least NFL network had guys who played the game, and watched film. They had reporters who seemed to be 1000 times more entrenched in what was really happening then ESPN ever could. I'm all NFL network for my draft needs from this point forward. For awhile I thought NFL network was getting inside information, they just didn't miss very often. Wouldn't surprise me, even if that wasn't the case, I'm sure as hell not going to feel sorry for MTVESPN.

Absolutely. I could swear Schefter was peaking over the shoulders of the teams as they wrote down their selection. Every time they cut to him just prior to the announcement, he was dead on correct. And when he didn't have the scoop, Mayock was right there with his guess, that was right about 9 times out of 10. You could really tell he was updating his board as they went through with each pick. He clearly knew the players and knew the team's needs. It was actually pretty amazing to see a team so well prepared. It got to a point that Schefter would say his piece and everyone would just go... ok good pick, so Mayock tell us about this kid.

They got a little out of their game in the 2nd round. But, I think the 5 minute picks may have had something to do with that.

For once, I watched a show and actually felt like I was being educated and given inside information. It was a revelation. I flipped over to ESPN a few times mostly to see what Boomer would say. But by about the mid first round, it was just too sad; so it was all NFL Network from then on. ESPN would either be in commercial or have someone blabbering about something no longer pertinent. Kiper definitely looked lost in comparison to Mayock. Honestly, it was night and day between the two broadcasts.

I kinda feel bad for Mayock and Schefter now though. No way they can top today's performance. They were that accurate and good. If you like the draft and don't have NFL Network... buy a new house and get a dish on it for next year. You won't regret it.

Kiper got a full-on ass whipping yesterday courtesy of Mike Mayock.

I watched both the NFL Network and ESPN the whole day, and there was no comparison -- NFL Network was far better in every aspect.

The only thing I didn't like about the NFL Network's coverage was Schefter ruining the moment by telling everyone what the pick was going to be. I like the surpise nature of the draft and him leaking the picks early took away from the moment in my opinion.

Steve Young: See this? I wrote Devin Thomas on my sheet in ink, so if they don't pick him I can't remove it.

Goodell: The Titans select Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina.

Steve Young: Anybody have an ink eraser?

:censored: