What did Mayock have to say about our draft?

Pete

For those of us without the NFL Network. I respect his opinion and wondered if he had any comments

I flipped to ESPN once I realized McKelvin was the pick because I was more concerned with footage than commentary, and ESPN has better footage.

Regarding Hardy, he said he liked the pick, said it was good value.

They showed a couple of plays I'm sure you've seen before where Hardy goes up and snatches the ball away from the defender. Mayock commented that he excels in the endzone and has a knack for scoring touchdowns.

He said one of the few things he didn't like about Hardy when he watched film was plays like "this." "This" being a play they were showing where Hardy had a corner beat on a deep ball and had to deal only with the safety over the top. Hardy's leap wasn't well-timed and the safety made a play on the ball. Mayock made a comment something along the lines of "he needs to go and get that one and help his quarterback out. He seems more concerned with the safety, who is busy making a play on the football." I believe the result was an incomplete pass.

They then showed another play that was either a rollout or a scramble out of the pocket. Hardy was on a deep crossing route and his quarterback, under deress, threw the ball downfield for him, sort of floating it out there and leading him quite a bit, giving him a chance to run under it and try to make a play. Hardy came close to the ball but wasn't able to make the grab, and it landed a bit out of arm's reach. Mayock suggested he should have dove for it. FWIW, I'd tend to agree, it would've been a tough catch but it wasn't impossible.

As I said before, he said he liked the pick and that he thought Hardy was plenty capable of being a good pro...this was simply the one big question he had about him in his film review.

thanks for all the great info! This stuff is like crack. I cannot get enough. Here is a 3rd round mock draft from Insider- enjoy it before it gets deleted-

Mock Third Round

Pick Player Position School

64. Miami Dolphins Justin King CB Penn State

65. St. Louis Rams Dan Connor ILB Penn State

66. Kansas City Chiefs Mario Manningham WR Michigan

67. Carolina Panthers (from NY Jets) Cliff Avril DE Purdue

68. Atlanta Falcons Charles Godfrey CB Iowa

69. New England Patriots (from Oakland) Anthony Collins OT Kansas

70. Chicago Bears (from San Francisco) Early Doucet WR LSU

71. Jacksonville Jaguars (from BAL through BUF) Marcus Harrison DT Arkansas

72. Buffalo Bills Brad Cottam TE Tennessee

73. Kansas City Chiefs (from MIN through DEN) Oniel Cousins G UTEP

74. Carolina Panthers Josh Barrett S Arizona State

75. San Francisco 49ers (from Chicago) Tavares Gooden OLB Miami

76. Detroit Lions Andre Fluellen DT Florida State

77. Cincinnati Bengals Jamaal Charles RB Texas

78. New Orleans Saints Erin Henderson OLB Maryland

79. Houston Texans Reggie Smith CB Oklahoma

80. Philadelphia Eagles Jeremy Zuttah G Rutgers

81. Arizona Cardinals Kevin Smith RB Central Florida

82. Kansas City Chiefs Jeremy Thompson DE Wake Forest

83. Tampa Bay Buccaneers John David Booty QB USC

84. Washington Redskins Pat Sims DT Aubrun

85. Tennessee Titans Tyvon Branch CB Connecticut

86. Seattle Seahawks Andre Caldwell WR Florida

87. Detroit Lions (from Cleveland) Tashard Choice RB Georgia Tech

88. Pittsburgh Steelers Carl Nicks OT Nebraska

89. Jacksonville Jaguars Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame

90. Chicago Bears (from San Diego) Roy Schuening G Oregon State

91. Green Bay Packers Craig Stevens TE California

92. Dallas Cowboys Steven Justice C Wake Forest

93. Indianapolis Colts Dre Moore DT Maryland

94. New England Patriots Bryan Kehl OLB BYU

95. New York Giants Xavier Adibi OLB Virginia Tech

96. Washington Redskins (Compensatory pick) Chevis Jackson CB LSU

97. Cincinnati Bengals (Compensatory pick) Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

98. Atlanta Falcons Red Bryant DT Texas A-M

99. Baltimore Ravens (Compensatory pick) Stanford Keglar OLB Purdue

thanks for all the great info! This stuff is like crack. I cannot get enough. Here is a 3rd round mock draft from Insider- enjoy it before it gets deleted-

Mock Third Round

Pick Player Position School

64. Miami Dolphins Justin King CB Penn State

65. St. Louis Rams Dan Connor ILB Penn State

66. Kansas City Chiefs Mario Manningham WR Michigan

67. Carolina Panthers (from NY Jets) Cliff Avril DE Purdue

68. Atlanta Falcons Charles Godfrey CB Iowa

69. New England Patriots (from Oakland) Anthony Collins OT Kansas

70. Chicago Bears (from San Francisco) Early Doucet WR LSU

71. Jacksonville Jaguars (from BAL through BUF) Marcus Harrison DT Arkansas

72. Buffalo Bills Brad Cottam TE Tennessee

73. Kansas City Chiefs (from MIN through DEN) Oniel Cousins G UTEP

74. Carolina Panthers Josh Barrett S Arizona State

75. San Francisco 49ers (from Chicago) Tavares Gooden OLB Miami

76. Detroit Lions Andre Fluellen DT Florida State

77. Cincinnati Bengals Jamaal Charles RB Texas

78. New Orleans Saints Erin Henderson OLB Maryland

79. Houston Texans Reggie Smith CB Oklahoma

80. Philadelphia Eagles Jeremy Zuttah G Rutgers

81. Arizona Cardinals Kevin Smith RB Central Florida

82. Kansas City Chiefs Jeremy Thompson DE Wake Forest

83. Tampa Bay Buccaneers John David Booty QB USC

84. Washington Redskins Pat Sims DT Aubrun

85. Tennessee Titans Tyvon Branch CB Connecticut

86. Seattle Seahawks Andre Caldwell WR Florida

87. Detroit Lions (from Cleveland) Tashard Choice RB Georgia Tech

88. Pittsburgh Steelers Carl Nicks OT Nebraska

89. Jacksonville Jaguars Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame

90. Chicago Bears (from San Diego) Roy Schuening G Oregon State

91. Green Bay Packers Craig Stevens TE California

92. Dallas Cowboys Steven Justice C Wake Forest

93. Indianapolis Colts Dre Moore DT Maryland

94. New England Patriots Bryan Kehl OLB BYU

95. New York Giants Xavier Adibi OLB Virginia Tech

96. Washington Redskins (Compensatory pick) Chevis Jackson CB LSU

97. Cincinnati Bengals (Compensatory pick) Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

98. Atlanta Falcons Red Bryant DT Texas A-M

99. Baltimore Ravens (Compensatory pick) Stanford Keglar OLB Purdue

Nice, Miami gets a corner that got burned by Hardy. Plus Connor gest picked before the Pats* can get him.

Wouldn't mind a TE, but Cottom only has 20 career receptions. Plus I think he'll have a problem with fumbles if he doesn't correct the way he carries the ball. (carries it like a loaf of bread, doesn't swith hands)

Nice, Miami gets a corner that got burned by Hardy. Plus Connor gest picked before the Pats* can get him.

Wouldn't mind a TE, but Cottom only has 20 career receptions. Plus I think he'll have a problem with fumbles if he doesn't correct the way he carries the ball. (carries it like a loaf of bread, doesn't swith hands)

If Miami drafts King over Connor I am gonna laugh my ass off!

Just say no to Cottam. High bust potential.

Strengths: Massive frame. Is tall with a well-proportioned and muscular frame. Has long arms and big hands. Displays good initial quickness and doesn't have much trouble getting off the line of scrimmage. Displays adequate-to-good speed and flashes the ability to stretch the seam as a pass-catcher. Shows good concentration and strong hands. Plucks away from his frame and does a good job of securing the bfall in traffic. He has the size, strength and toughness to match up as an in-line blocker in the NFL. Shows good initial pop and will fight to sustain his blocks.

Weaknesses: Durability is a major concern. Hasn't been able to stay healthy and lacks ideal game-experience as a result. He's clearly not a flexible athlete. While he's quick and explosive, he is not overly fluid. Not a natural knee bender. Comes out of his stance too high and struggles to keep leverage sometimes as a blocker. He is quick and strong as a runner after the catch but he does not show much elusiveness to make defenders miss in space.

Overall: Cottam redshirted in 2003. He appeared in 24 games over the next two seasons (2004-'05) but recorded just two receptions for 34 yards in that span. He played in all 13 games (six starts) in 2006, turning in 14 receptions for 182 yards (13.0 average). A wrist injury that required surgery cost Cottam the first nine games of his senior season, but he finished 2007 with five receptions for 125 yards (25.0 average) and a touchdown in five games. Cottam is the most intriguing tight end prospect in the 2008 class. He had as many catches (five) in 2007 as he did operations during his collegiate career. However, Cottam proved to be the most consistent tight end during the week of Senior Bowl practice and his combination of size, agility and reliable hands could land Cottam a spot as early as the third round.

Brad Cottam

TE, Tennessee

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is huge with a solid build. Has the power and strength to be a dominant run blocker. Can quickly break through to block linebackers. Runs smooth, fluid routes. Is good at getting head and hands around when coming out of cuts to easily catch quick-arriving passes. Shows excellent, soft, natural hands. Adjusts easily to catch high passes.

Weaknesses: Is a durability risk -- missed 11 games as a senior because of left wrist surgery, and had thumb surgery during freshman season. Injuries limited his production. Struggles to bend knees and sink hips to block with leverage, primarily because of his height. At times stops moving feet after contact. Will over-extend and fall off blocks. Doesn't explode off the snap; pops upright before driving off the line.

Bottom line: Cottam is intriguing because of his size and skill, but teams are wary of his injury history. He impresses in practices and workouts, which will keep his stock high. He could become a good NFL starter, but history says often-injured college players struggle to stay healthy in the NFL, too.

Pete,

Basically what you're describing to me with Cottam is an offensive tackle minus 15-20 that has run a few pass patterns in his day. Not exactly the kind of target I think the Bills need. I will admit I haven't seen him play, but I think there's few people that have.

Pete,

Basically what you're describing to me with Cottam is an offensive tackle minus 15-20 that has run a few pass patterns in his day. Not exactly the kind of target I think the Bills need. I will admit I haven't seen him play, but I think there's few people that have.

Here is a highlight video. See what I mean about how he carries the ball?

Pete,

Both articles note he has reliable, natural hands. He may not have the upside to become a dominant player at the tight end position, but he seems like he can become a good reliable target if he can stay on the field.

Pete,

What I have read is he probably is the most complete TE in the draft. He was great at the combine. He is one of the best after the catch TE's in the draft, if not the best. And he is one of the best blockers in the draft. He has the size and speed you look for in a TE, he has a great attitude and hustles every play on the field, but he has had two injuries that cost him a lot of playing time. He could use work on technique, but is very coachable. And he averaged over 16.2 yards a reception in college. The durability concerns are well known, but his upside could be huge. There are no perfect picks on day 2. You must evaluate value, upside, and potential. Cottam represents all 3 to me at our pick. It is a need pick for us- we are desperate for a TE. Why not roll the dice?

Not to mention- there is one more red zone target for us!

he looks like a player to me in those videos. He has some wheels for a big man. I didn't really notice him being careless with the ball. I think he looks a little awkward just because he is so tall

Oh, I agree that he looks like a good player. (trust me, I wouln't complain if we picked him). I just mean that because he is so tall, he tends to carry the ball away from his body. He also always has it in his right hand, not switching it to the outside hand. Going against savvy NFL veterans, I think he might have to break that habit.

But after what the FO has done on day 1, and in free agency, I'm confident that they'll do the right thing <_<