K-Gun Offense

As a further thought, why does it seem that the truly good tight ends are as rare as hen's teeth? There are many WRs, RBs, CBs, OL, DL in the league, but fewer TEs that are difference makers, especially in the Winslow Sr./McKeller (pre-injury) pass threat style. Gonzales is one today along with Gates.

It seems that we don't see as many excellent TE prospects come along compared to excellent prospects at other positions.

Discuss?

Edit: And I mean this to be league wide, not just the Bills.

As a further thought, why does it seem that the truly good tight ends are as rare as hen's teeth? There are many WRs, RBs, CBs, OL, DL in the league, but fewer TEs that are difference makers, especially in the Winslow Sr./McKeller (pre-injury) pass threat style. Gonzales is one today along with Gates.

It seems that we don't see as many excellent TE prospects come along compared to excellent prospects at other positions.

Discuss?

They all go to the NBA - More money and less chance of getting hurt.

Discuss?

I read an article on this subject that attributes it to the rise of the spread offense in college ball. Makes sense, too. Many can catch the ball, but if they can't block, then they're close to useless in the pros.

It came up because Alabama just got a verbal from Keith's son, Darius. This kid is huge and is only 16 years old!

Darius McKellar

Is it usual for a kid to give a verbal commitment to a college at 16? It doesn't make sense to me unless he's going to graduate early.

How dare you insult Lonnie Johnson in such a way.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

;)

Is it usual for a kid to give a verbal commitment to a college at 16? It doesn't make sense to me unless he's going to graduate early.

He's only 16, so his birthday is more than likely in May-July, since he's slated to graduate in 2009. And it's not that unusual for for a kid to commit going into his senior season of prep ball.

They all go to the NBA - More money and less chance of getting hurt.

So true... I've heard this theory brought up by a number of my past basketball coaches.

If you think about the makeup of your typical Power Forward in the NBA, that's the perfect body type for an NFL Tight End. 6'-7", 225-250 lbs, but still quick and agile. The reason there are so few really good NFL TE's is because they grow up playing basketball and they are more valuable (with less toll on their body) in that game than in football.