ESPN Radio - Best Draft 2007

ET1062

That's cool, but Clayton has been giving us more and more credit the last 2 years.

Now if it was Salisbury giving us some credit instead of constantly ball-washing the Pats*....oh wait...HAHA! Sorry Sean, you don't work there anymore.

We'll see if Mort keeps bashing us next Saturday. I don't know how long the Donahoe thing can go on until he starts to look very ridiculous. Hopefully Berman will slap him back in line like he did last year.

John Clayton picked the Bills, three starters in the first three rounds.

Beastmode, Poz, Edwards.

The other two clowns picked the Browns and the Giants.

Just heard this segment.

Browns got Joe Thomas, a backup QB and a decent corner.

Giants, on the other hand got Aaron Ross and Jay Alford to start on D, with Steve Smith a slotty, Kevin Boss a great TE and Ahmad Bradshaw a complete and ungodly steal in the 7th.

We got a starting QB/HB (cornerstones of the O), starting MLB, backup HB, decent FB/TE, solid and hopefully phenomenal ST player in Wendling, and well, I heard CJ Ah You flips a mean burger.

I'm glad they like our draft but ESPN sucks. I can't stand them. They hate the Bills, cater to big market teams and show no hockey. I watch NFL Network, NHL Network and check the baseball scores on ESPN News.

I'll watch the entire draft on NFL Network.

What difference will it make if anyone bashes the bills draft ?

It doesn't really matter does it.

They have to have opinions, that is what a draft show is .

If each of them said that all the teams did a great job just to keep everyone from whining wouldn't that get boring ?

It really makes no difference at all, some of us here just like to have fun with the ESPN/SI/NFL Net guys. I guess a better question is why do you care if we bash on them? especially when they are blatantly wrong?

Of course they have to have opinions, it's just nice when they base those opinions on facts. (See Marshall Faulk saying that we need to get a left tackle this year.)

That's not the point, and of course that would be boring.

The point is that some of us have been tracking and quantifying what they say and who they consistently pump up and there is hardly any doubt that the data reflects a clear bias towards the top 10-15 media market teams the last 5 years. It's almost as if a policy has been created by marketing people at these media outlets.

1. How else do you explain the predictions that Miami would go to or win the SB two years ago, and, after getting burned that year that they would again pick Miami be 2nd in the division last year? How much do you want to bet that somebody picks them to do better than us this year?

2. Conversely, why is it that Jacksonville and Seattle are consistently in the playoffs but somehow are a "surprise" every year for the last 4?

3. We always hear that the Cards, 49ers, Texans, Redskins, Bucs and Falcons(except last year for obvious reasons) are "going to be good", "building something special" and "are on pace to challenge for the division", but they never do anything but show the rest of the league how not to run a football team and/or how not to play/win games.

4. The Jets still have a sucky QB and only a few good players here and there but how much do you want to bet that they are rated higher than us this year? How much do you want to bet that if they draft Gholston that suddenly they will be a "top ten defense". Somehow, without a running game, with a noodle-arm QB, and mediocre receivers, we are going to get non-stop coverage of them on ESPN, but yeah, we're supposed to believe that there is no downstate bias?

I have a simple explanation for all of this BS: telling a lot of people what they want to hear is a great way to make money. Until ESPN, SI, and the rest actually start analyzing games, players, coaches, drawing reasonable conclusions from this analysis

(um, watching the games might be a good start, followed closely by checking on the stats and who made the Pro-Bowl-->y'know the thing that Jaworski does = and people wonder why he is so "knowledgeable" and well liked)

, and tell the marketing people to stuff it, then we will continue to see this nonsense, and we will continue to make fun of them for it.

Edit: In the interest of fairness, Merrill Hodge did say that "the Bills could be building something special with all these good young players..." on the "On the Clock" Video on ESPN.com and I almost spit out my soup when I saw that.

That's cool, but Clayton has been giving us more and more credit the last 2 years.

Now if it was Salisbury giving us some credit instead of constantly ball-washing the Pats*....oh wait...HAHA! Sorry Sean, you don't work there anymore.

We'll see if Mort keeps bashing us next Saturday. I don't know how long the Donahoe thing can go on until he starts to look very ridiculous. Hopefully Berman will slap him back in line like he did last year.

I think Clayton hated Donahoe and Mort loved Donahoe....Salisbury did not care....

Beastmode, Poz, Edwards.

Just heard this segment.

When you have a lot of positions of dire need on your roster, as the Bills did last year, it's easier to make selections that look good on draft day. More needs = best player available mentality.

If Edwards progresses into a good QB it will be a good draft either way, but Lynch and Poz are not edge players or lineman which are more highly valued in the early rounds. RB's and LB's also have an easier transition to the league and are easier to find in later rounds, so it's reasonable to expect first rounders at those positions are going to produce right away. It was obvious even before they were drafted these guys could play at least good football in the NFL, they just weren't players at premium positions. If you doubt my valuing of the positions, then check the contract that Kawika Mitchell got after being a good starting LB for a SB champ......or see where Bradshaw was drafted relative to Lynch.

This year, the Bills are looking for those harder to find and more highly valued edge players or lineman......and those positions are also more difficult for young players to acclimate to in the NFL so the chances of getting a low initial return are much greater this time around. But those players are the key for this team to get things turned around, not guys like Lynch and Poz. If they don't get better at those spots, Lynch and Poz could be All Pro and the team could still not be able to score or get off the field on 3rd downs.

Beastmode, Poz, Edwards.

Just heard this segment.

Browns got Joe Thomas, a backup QB and a decent corner.

Giants, on the other hand got Aaron Ross and Jay Alford to start on D, with Steve Smith a slotty, Kevin Boss a great TE and Ahmad Bradshaw a complete and ungodly steal in the 7th.

We got a starting QB/HB (cornerstones of the O), starting MLB, backup HB, decent FB/TE, solid and hopefully phenomenal ST player in Wendling, and well, I heard CJ Ah You flips a mean burger.

I can easily understand how the Giants draft could be considered better especially since at least two of those guys contributed handily to their SB win. However, Cleveland's draft is obviously not as good even when the fact that Poz only played three games is factored in.

Stop hammering on this guy.... he quit that joint and he changes oil now!

Look in all seriousness I honestly believe that given patient coaching and a little time to develop he could have been one of the greatest DE's at McDonalds. :thumbsup:

CJ Ah "You want fries with that?"

;)