Evans update

per rotoworld

The Bills are believed to have entered preliminary talks with Lee Evans about a contract extension, according to the team's website.

The Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss deals will impact Evans' price tag, even though they're superior players. To get Evans signed, the Bills might have to begin negotiations with Steve Smith money (six years, $43.85 million).

Could we afford that?

(100th post. Woo hoo! Would have been more had the site not bugged out that day.)

Im guessing the talks will stay in preliminary mode, until after the season...

The front office's advantage is sewing Evans up before TE gets additional WR to divert coverage, a pass-catching TE, a pass-catching smashmouth FB, better field position from the improved D, a risk-taking OC, a QB who can audible, etc.

Evans' advantage is to wait.

The front office's advantage is sewing Evans up before TE gets additional WR to divert coverage, a pass-catching TE, a pass-catching smashmouth FB, better field position from the improved D, a risk-taking OC, a QB who can audible, etc.

Evans' advantage is to wait.

I totally agree...im simply saying, I see this going the way 99.9% of players in a contract year go about signing extensions. Management will say they want them, the players will say they wanna stay here , they love it here, etc etc...then when the season starts its I don't wanna talk contract during the season soo we'll wait till after the season...then when the seasons over maybe something happens.

I totally agree...im simply saying, I see this going the way 99.9% of players in a contract year go about signing extensions. Management will say they want them, the players will say they wanna stay here , they love it here, etc etc...then when the season starts its I don't wanna talk contract during the season soo we'll wait till after the season...then when the seasons over maybe something happens.

Agree. And The 600 yard Evans would have asked for a lot less than the 1700 yard Evans will.

per rotoworld

The Bills are believed to have entered preliminary talks with Lee Evans about a contract extension, according to the team's website.

The Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss deals will impact Evans' price tag, even though they're superior players. To get Evans signed, the Bills might have to begin negotiations with Steve Smith money (six years, $43.85 million).

Could we afford that?

(100th post. Woo hoo! Would have been more had the site not bugged out that day.)

As has been discussed ad nauseum on this board it takes awhile for a receiver to become great in the NFL. The reason great receivers never reach the FA market is because once a team finds one they need to keep him.

Im guessing the talks will stay in preliminary mode, until after the season...

Two sides to that coin. If I were Evans I would have to balance signing now with later. If he signs now and gets injured he wins. If he does not and gets injured he runs the risk of never getting that big payday.

That is a joke, "the Bills might need to start at Steve Smith money."

Why? Why would we negotiate Evans' deal similar to THE BEST WR IN THE GAME?

Evans is maybe, maybe a top 20 receiver. Smith is definitely top 10, and arguably top 5. Same with Fitzgerald. Whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.

That is a joke, "the Bills might need to start at Steve Smith money."

Why? Why would we negotiate Evans' deal similar to THE BEST WR IN THE GAME?

Evans is maybe, maybe a top 20 receiver. Smith is definitely top 10, and arguably top 5. Same with Fitzgerald. Whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.

Per PFW...

"One of the pressing issues confronting the Bills is making sure they re-sign WR Lee Evans before he enters the free-agent fray next offseason. From his on-field talent to his locker-room leadership to his role as the only dependable pass catcher on the roster, he may very well be the single most indispensable Bill. Despite putting up only decent production numbers, Evans is viewed as a premier receiver by those around the league and would command a deal commensurate with some of the game’s elite wideouts on the open market. Buffalo dishes out primo money judiciously, but a team insider told us there’s no doubt they’ll pony up the cash to keep Evans in Buffalo, even if it doesn’t happen until deep into the ’08 season."

Two sides to that coin. If I were Evans I would have to balance signing now with later. If he signs now and gets injured he wins. If he does not and gets injured he runs the risk of never getting that big payday.

Players also benefit from having the money now, instead of later.

Per PFW...

"One of the pressing issues confronting the Bills is making sure they re-sign WR Lee Evans before he enters the free-agent fray next offseason. From his on-field talent to his locker-room leadership to his role as the only dependable pass catcher on the roster, he may very well be the single most indispensable Bill. Despite putting up only decent production numbers, Evans is viewed as a premier receiver by those around the league and would command a deal commensurate with some of the game’s elite wideouts on the open market. Buffalo dishes out primo money judiciously, but a team insider told us there’s no doubt they’ll pony up the cash to keep Evans in Buffalo, even if it doesn’t happen until deep into the ’08 season."

Well then, if he won't sign for a reasonable amount, I'd say bye bye Lee.

Which means we'll be likely drafting to WRs in this draft. One as the eventual #1 or #2 WR. If we are looking for a #2 WR this year we can and should move up to get the best WR next year if Evans is gone.

BUT, wouldn't it make sense to trade Evans while he still has value? Like Brain Campbell.

And what is reasonable? Since he is viewed as a premier receiver by those around the league, a reasonable deal would be him being paid as a premier WR wouldn't it?

And what is reasonable? Since he is viewed as a premier receiver by those around the league, a reasonable deal would be him being paid as a premier WR wouldn't it?

Agreed. We have the money for a huge signing bonus... best to get it done this year while we have all this extra money.

He's a blue chip talent. If I were the GM, I'd make every attempt to get him signed and once done, inform the head coach he had better figure out a way to generate a return on the investment. The Bills are giving Jauron some talent to work with. The pressure is now shifting to him IMO.

He's a blue chip talent. If I were the GM, I'd make every attempt to get him signed and once done, inform the head coach he had better figure out a way to generate a return on the investment. The Bills are giving Jauron some talent to work with. The pressure is now shifting to him IMO.

but alas, we only have a COO :thumbsup: