What I would like to see the Bills do now on draft day

Well, as the draft gets closer and closer opinions change super-frequently, and so as of today I would like to see the Bills do the following on draft day.

1. If Harvey is available at pick 11, trade down with the Vikings at 17 so they can fill their DE need, and we also pick up their third round and seventh round picks.

2. Take Limas Sweed at 17.

3. Send our second and one of our third round picks to Atlanta for their second round pick at 34.

4. Draft Antoine Cason who, according to Mike Mayock, would be the best corner in the draft if he ran faster, and he is perfect for a Cover-2.

5. Take Martellus Bennett in round three, big TE.

6. Take Owen Schmitt round four, this guy is the only FB for me.

Such trading/movement is not so common, but this would be a dream scenario for me and our team I believe.

Thoughts?

That trade with Minnesota is probably one of the more realistic scenarios out there. They pick up Harvey, we move down and get Sweed or Thomas, both of whom should still be there. It does open up some risk of teams later in the round moving up to get a WR in front of us, however.

The second round trade is a little steep, but I think they might make a move up for a CB if they go WR in R1. Cason would be my choice if they do that.

I don't think Bennett will make it until their 3rd round pick and unlike many, I don't like the idea of using a 4th round pick on a fullback.

I haven't heard much about what I feel is a glaring need for the Bills - the offensive line! Only Jason Peters can be considered solid. Dockery is being judged by his big salary and not his production.

Melvin Fowler is overmatched frequently by big DT's. The right side of the line is no better than fair to barely adequate.

I think the best teams are built on the lines first. The OL could use a top prospect with the 1st pick. If the Bills are going to move the ball consistently then they need to upgrade the OL with more talent.

Sure, the team also needs a big receiver and a cornerback, but I feel a big receiver will be there in round 2.

Build the lines and the results will follow.

IMHO.

I like this offensive line well enough. The Bills have a fairly good line and unless someone is a glaring weakness, I think they need to allow them to develop some continuity. They could stand to upgrade at C, but this is a weak draft at the position. The rest seem, at worst, good enough to win with.

The only problem with your Minnesota scenario is that Denver is not likely to take a DE. Typically if teams want to trade up they do it in front of a team they feel will take the player they targeted. I think someone moving in front of Denver for an OT or RB would make more sense.

I haven't heard much about what I feel is a glaring need for the Bills - the offensive line! Only Jason Peters can be considered solid. Dockery is being judged by his big salary and not his production.

Melvin Fowler is overmatched frequently by big DT's. The right side of the line is no better than fair to barely adequate.

I think the best teams are built on the lines first. The OL could use a top prospect with the 1st pick. If the Bills are going to move the ball consistently then they need to upgrade the OL with more talent.

Sure, the team also needs a big receiver and a cornerback, but I feel a big receiver will be there in round 2.

Build the lines and the results will follow.

IMHO.

I think most experts would agree with your point on Fowler, though disagree with the rest. The Bills pass protection was the best it has been in ages and it showed both on the field and in the numbers. Dockery is already a proven run blocker on film and the Walker/Butler combo provided our best YPC for Bills running backs last year. Personally I was stunned with how well Walker played because I expected very little. The line seemed to spend the early part of last season getting chemistry but soon after played well as a unit. There were other factors that also played into the somewhat limited overall production of the running game as well. With all that said I do feel they could use another solid OL member for depth and/or to compete at Center...

After reading through the posts and considering all of the inputs I want to advise that we only one 3rd round choice as the other ws sent to Jacksonville for Marcus Stroud. With that being said I have the following suggestion:

Trade down from 11 to 15, the Lios would be very interested in getting this pick as they could move ahead of Chicago and select running back Richard Mendenhall, of course they also have needs at corner and if one of the top CB's slip through they might also go in that direction.

However this seems to be the trade spot and would give the Bills the following picks.

Round 1 - 15th - Derrick Harvey - DE - Very explosive edge pass rusher with bulk and history against the run

Round 2 - 41st - Jordy Nelson - WR - Big possession receiver, gets open, good red zone threat, excellent character

Round 3 - 72nd - John Carlson - TE - Big and complete TE, not a down the seam type but will be 1st down target

Round 3 - 76th - Shawn Crable - LB - Depth pick and will be great special teams asset, big and fast

Round 4 - 114th - Dwight Lowery - CB - Good size at 6'1" and has decent ball skills

Round 4 - 132th (Compensatory) - Beau Bell - LB - Great physical attributes, needs to be coached up, ST Potential

Round 5 - 147th - Payton Hills - FB - Big, can block and catch out of the backfield, 6.2 YPC, 5 Catches per game as SR.

Round 6 - 179th - Chaz Shillens - WR - Big, fast productive in college, great vertical, needs time to develop

Round 7 - 219th - Brannon Carvahelo - OG, Good size at 6'1, 316 power player, may convert to C

Round 7 - 224th (Compensatory) - TBD

Round 7 - 251st (Compensatory) - TBD

This would be an incredible draft for the Bills, two WR, two LB's for special teams and depth. Also getting a difference making DE and CB for depth, also the FB could be an outstanding player. Love to see and read any feedback.