My 2008 Mock Draft

1. WR LIMAS SWEED TEXAS

Many fans, including myself, wanted the Bills to trade for Roy Williams. I know that this rumor was just a pipe dream, but the drafting of Limas Sweed totally relinquishes that dream. Limas Sweed is extremely similar to Roy Williams when coming out of college: they're both big recievers, Williams ran a 4.42, whereas Sweed ran a 4.46 forty, they are both gym rats and have excellent work ethics. Sweed is head and shoulders above the rest of wide reciever the class character wise; Malcolm Kelly supposedly has a poor work ethic, Mario Manningham is an official member of the RWPHA (Ricky Williams Pot Head Association), and James Hardy allegedly beat his (ex)girlfriend and baby. Here are a few quotes from the Pro Football Weekly draft magazine regarding Sweed: "Has consistenly produced big plays in the clutch. Excellent work ethic- is very driven." "...in a league of prima donna recievers, he is surprisingly humble and very hard working." Its seems to me that the only knock on the guy is his wrist. If he didn't get hurt this year, he may have been a top 10 or top 5 pick. In all seriousness, how many players' careers go into shambles because they have a hurt wrist?

I would of had the Bills trading down with a team like Philly or Houston, but I'm trying to keep this mock as realistic as possible.

2. S/CB REGGIE SMITH OU

The Bills need depth at both of the positions that Reggie Smith plays; CB and FS. He is tough as nails and will knock any reciever's block off. Reggie Smith would be the second Bills corner taller than 6 feet (Will James). He visited here earlier in the year with Malcolm Kelly, so the Bills have some real interest in this guy. His timed speed isn't the greatest (4.6 range), but Reggie Smith is superbly quick. In 13 games last year, Smith recorder 78 tackles, 14 pass break ups, and 3 interceptions. Smith could shore up two spots and potentially become a kick returner.

3. TE MARTELLUS BENNETT TEXAS A&M

Bennett is a superb athlete. He applied for the NBA draft last year and was given a second round grade. There is a video on Youtube of the guy dunking a basketball over one of his coaches with ease. Bennett has the size (6'5 250), the hands, and the blocking ability to become the Bills' version of Antonio Gates.

4a. OC JOHN SULLIVAN NOTRE DAME

Sullivan was a four year starter at Notre Dame and had a 138-6 career record as a prep wrestler. The guy could probably wrangle with the best of them in the NFL. He weighed in at 301 at the combine and he has some decent strength. Sullivan would compete with Melvin Fowler for the starting center spot and he will allow Duke Preston to move back to guard where he belongs.

4b. FB OWEN SCHMITT WVU

6. DE DORIAN SMITH OREGON STATE

7a. OT TYLER POLUMBUS COLORADO

7b. QB NICK HILL SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

7c. WR MARCUS HENRY KANSAS

Swap out the 7th round QB for some LB depth, and this is pretty close to what I would want. Nice job with descibing each pick instead of just listing them for the hell of it. :cry:

(My idea for the backup QB is in my sig.)

Thank you very much, I'd take a guy like Rattay any day of the week. I think the Bills are stacked at linebacker now that they have DiGiorgio and Ellison on the bench.

Thank you very much, I'd take a guy like Rattay any day of the week. I think the Bills are stacked at linebacker now that they have DiGiorgio and Ellison on the bench.

For a seventh round pick, I'm thinking more along the lines of replacing Stamer. Decent size/speed, and can be a special teams ace. I agree we are pretty well set at LB for backup positions.

I like where you are going with this, but I think it will defense in the 1st, and WR in the 2nd. I really like the TE/OC combo in the 3rd and 4th, but I think Schmitt will be a goner by the time the 4th round comp picks come into play. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see him being there. If he is there though the Bills would be foolish not to snag him.

Nice post.

1. WR LIMAS SWEED TEXAS

Many fans, including myself, wanted the Bills to trade for Roy Williams. I know that this rumor was just a pipe dream, but the drafting of Limas Sweed totally relinquishes that dream. Limas Sweed is extremely similar to Roy Williams when coming out of college: they're both big recievers, Williams ran a 4.42, whereas Sweed ran a 4.46 forty, they are both gym rats and have excellent work ethics. Sweed is head and shoulders above the rest of wide reciever the class character wise; Malcolm Kelly supposedly has a poor work ethic, Mario Manningham is an official member of the RWPHA (Ricky Williams Pot Head Association), and James Hardy allegedly beat his (ex)girlfriend and baby. Here are a few quotes from the Pro Football Weekly draft magazine regarding Sweed: "Has consistenly produced big plays in the clutch. Excellent work ethic- is very driven." "...in a league of prima donna recievers, he is surprisingly humble and very hard working." Its seems to me that the only knock on the guy is his wrist. If he didn't get hurt this year, he may have been a top 10 or top 5 pick. In all seriousness, how many players' careers go into shambles because they have a hurt wrist?

I would of had the Bills trading down with a team like Philly or Houston, but I'm trying to keep this mock as realistic as possible.

2. S/CB REGGIE SMITH OU

The Bills need depth at both of the positions that Reggie Smith plays; CB and FS. He is tough as nails and will knock any reciever's block off. Reggie Smith would be the second Bills corner taller than 6 feet (Will James). He visited here earlier in the year with Malcolm Kelly, so the Bills have some real interest in this guy. His timed speed isn't the greatest (4.6 range), but Reggie Smith is superbly quick. In 13 games last year, Smith recorder 78 tackles, 14 pass break ups, and 3 interceptions. Smith could shore up two spots and potentially become a kick returner.

3. TE MARTELLUS BENNETT TEXAS A&M

Bennett is a superb athlete. He applied for the NBA draft last year and was given a second round grade. There is a video on Youtube of the guy dunking a basketball over one of his coaches with ease. Bennett has the size (6'5 250), the hands, and the blocking ability to become the Bills' version of Antonio Gates.

4a. OC JOHN SULLIVAN NOTRE DAME

Sullivan was a four year starter at Notre Dame and had a 138-6 career record as a prep wrestler. The guy could probably wrangle with the best of them in the NFL. He weighed in at 301 at the combine and he has some decent strength. Sullivan would compete with Melvin Fowler for the starting center spot and he will allow Duke Preston to move back to guard where he belongs.

4b. FB OWEN SCHMITT WVU

6. DE DORIAN SMITH OREGON STATE

7a. OT TYLER POLUMBUS COLORADO

7b. QB NICK HILL SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

7c. WR MARCUS HENRY KANSAS

WR is our biggest need, no doubt. But I don't like the value there so much anymore. It's still possible we go and grab Thomas or Sweed, but I'm starting to think the Bills may go CB instead and grab a WR in round two.

I would prefer Cason over Smith if we went CB in round two.

Carlson instead of Bennett if available, otherwise I can live with it.

Love the Owen Schmitt pick. It seems everyone on these boards wants him in round four.

We need some LB depth, so I would maybe like to see a LB pick in round five, which you don't have in your mock for some reason.

I like where you are going with this, but I think it will defense in the 1st, and WR in the 2nd. I really like the TE/OC combo in the 3rd and 4th, but I think Schmitt will be a goner by the time the 4th round comp picks come into play. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see him being there. If he is there though the Bills would be foolish not to snag him.

Nice post.

What defensive position would you go with? If the Bills were to draft Derrick Harvey, I think that would totally screw up their DE rotation. A first round DE should get more playing time than Hargrove got, but if Harvey got more playing time than Hargrove, he'll totally mess up the Denney/Schobel/Kelsay rotation. I mean, the Bills have shelled out some major dough for those three guys and if they were to draft a DE in rd. 1, they'd totally be contradicting themselves. Would you go with a CB in round 1? The cover two doesn't really require shut down CBs like Natedogg and the Bills got themselves some much needed size when they signed William Peterson James.

What defensive position would you go with? If the Bills were to draft Derrick Harvey, I think that would totally screw up their DE rotation. A first round DE should get more playing time than Hargrove got, but if Harvey got more playing time than Hargrove, he'll totally mess up the Denney/Schobel/Kelsay rotation. I mean, the Bills have shelled out some major dough for those three guys and if they were to draft a DE in rd. 1, they'd totally be contradicting themselves. Would you go with a CB in round 1? The cover two doesn't really require shut down CBs like Natedogg and the Bills got themselves some much needed size when they signed William Peterson James.

I left the 1st round selection vague because I have no idea who to go with exactly. My pipe dream is that Rivers is available at #11, but that's probably just one hell of a pipe dream at this point. So now what do they do? I agree that taking Harvey is not an option after they addressed the DL in FA. He's not the pick. So now the Bills can take their CB of choice, or they can trade out of the spot to teams that want to move up to grab a Mendenhall, an OT, or a CB if there are such suitors to do so. In the mid to lower part of the 1st they can probably snag Dan Connor. If they feel they can't do this when they are on the clock at #11, they pull a 'Donte Whitner' and take Connor then.

Then they address WR in the 2nd round when there is going to be one hell of a run on them.

nice job :sick: I like the draft and think it would fill most of our needs. What is your opinion of Devin Thomas? Sounds to me he is the big play WR of this class. I like Sweed too and would not have a problem if we took either at 11. I like Reggie Smith too. He could play S too and you need playmakers at S in the cover 2. I like the idea of adding a big hitter in the secondary a lot. Martellus Bennett in the third would be sick!

nice job :sick: I like the draft and think it would fill most of our needs. What is your opinion of Devin Thomas? Sounds to me he is the big play WR of this class. I like Sweed too and would not have a problem if we took either at 11. I like Reggie Smith too. He could play S too and you need playmakers at S in the cover 2. I like the idea of adding a big hitter in the secondary a lot. Martellus Bennett in the third would be sick!

Thanks, I am not sure on Devin Thomas. The guy's stock is skyrocketing, but I'm not sure how good he is. He has had only 1 good year and he dropped 7 passes in one game. I know he has loads of talent, but I just don't want the Bills to draft what could be the next Troy Williamson. I'm not saying that Devin Thomas will be like that bust, but if he does not develop correctly, he could. I do like his size, speed, and YAC ability, though.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but to say we would mess up the Denney/Schobel/Kelsay rotation is somewhat amusing. I believe that Harvey may be better than all of them and may show it by year two. I think that is something that can afford to be messed up.

However, I would be thrilled with your mock. I really have no opinion on who they should take in RD. 1, since there are so many areas of need but to those who are concerned about VALUE... it doesn't matter if you take the 17th rated player at #11, if #'s 11 thru 16 aren't what the team needs. We don't pick again until 41, so barring a trade, you get the guy that is going to help the team the most. If Limas Sweed and/or Devin Thomas are ranked 20th by Todd McShay or Mel Kiper and they scream "what a reach" on draft day, ... it won't make any difference in week 7 when one of them scores two touchdowns and makes the pivotal third down catch to keep the winning drive going.

Here's hoping the Bills can kick some butt with all of their picks. Take Care All