And with my 7000th post

As teams jocky for postion on all these players something was really sticking with me as I thought about it this morning.

- All of these guys were stars at their egg, junior pee wee, high school, and college levels

- But now they must face other guys were were also stars all the way through

- How do say...the wideouts like Devin Thomas, Limus Sweed, James Hardy, and Malcom malcontent Kelly (sorry couldn't resist) compare to say......other wideouts in last years draft.....or in the draft before that......?

- What is the opinion of just how good any of these guys are really going to be.....when Lee Evans came out it was pretty much a given that he was going to be a excellent player....some worried about his lack of hight but pointed to the speed and upper body strength....now he is our number 1

- Are these guys going to be prime players in your opinion or end up as special teams fodder and drop off the face of the earth?

- This is what I struggle with when trying to figure out who our 1st pick should be......we have a real need at the position but if a DE like Harvey has a better chance of being a player you can count on to perform......and these other guys have a better chance of just being average.....well then I dont know if we should take that chance.......

- What is your opinion of this years wideouts compared to other years?

As teams jocky for postion on all these players something was really sticking with me as I thought about it this morning.

- All of these guys were stars at their egg, junior pee wee, high school, and college levels

- How do say...the wideouts like Devin Thomas, Limus Sweed, James Hardy, and Malcom malcontent Kelly (sorry couldn't resist) compare to say......other wideouts in last years draft.....or in the draft before that......?

- What is the opinion of just how good any of these guys are really going to be.....when Lee Evans came out it was pretty much a given that he was going to be a excellent player....some worried about his lack of hight but pointed to the speed and upper body strength....now he is our number 1

- Are these guys going to be prime players in your opinion or end up as special teams fodder and drop off the face of the earth?

- This is what I struggle with when trying to figure out who our 1st pick should be......we have a real need at the position but if a DE like Harvey has a better chance of being a player you can count on to perform......and these other guys have a better chance of just being average.....well then I dont know if we should take that chance.......

Congrats JfH - 7000 - I feel like a slacker ;-)

I don't know, John - seems to me some positions more than other rely on coaching. So for example, I think defensive players - maybe LBs in particular. Can pretty much translate their college abilities to the pros really well. The learning curve doesn't seem as steep.

But for WRs, I think next to QBs and OL on offense, their learning curve is pretty steep. RBs probably have the biggest impact as rookies. These guys relied on their athleticism in HS, College whatever and only the guys who are students of the game and are willing to put in the study time, seem to be on an accelerated development pace.

The classic I think is Moulds. He did nothing for 3 years...3 years and I remember Marv being frustrated with him. Then a light goes on. There are exceptions - Moss for example. But he had freakish talent and I think the rest of the NFL never really found a way to neutralize it - if he *wanted* to play. There are I think guys in the NFL - who can only be defeated by themselves. Not many of those are in the WR group.

Don't know if that answers your question. I really like how Sweed plays over Kelly. He just seems to be at a different speed than everybody else. But I must confess I've only seen his highlight reel with a rock track behind it. So I might be biased.

IMHO, the most complete receiver I've ever seen out of college (and I haven't followed the game very long) is Rod Smith from Denver. With Hines Ward a close second. But that's only because I think Smith contributed almost immediately.

All things being equal I'd take the defensive player, if it was a position of need.

C

Congrats on 7K.

Two thoughts on Devin Thomas. 1. He was a JuCo transfer, so he sat on the bench and had to work his way up from the bottom. That counts for a lot. 2. He uses his strength better than the other big receivers in the draft. He pushes smaller corners around. Much like Dwayne Bowe did last year, and Owens and Moulds are able to. He plays big, and you have to like that.

1) Limas Sweed.

I think he compares favorably to most of the bigger WRs that have come through the draft in the last 6-8 years. He's not a freakish athlete or a top 10 caliber talent, but he's above average athletically compared to most of the later 1st round picks, and would seem as well prepared for the NFL as possible. I hate making comparisons (mainly because I suck at them), but I think he's probably most similar to his former Texas teammate, Roy Williams. Williams was a little faster and was more explosive while Sweed is more physcal, but overall, both are probably at their best in the intermediate range passing game, though they can be effective at moving the chains if necessary. So I think he's basically somewhat of a poor-man's version of Roy Williams, but a 15-25 overall pick most years. Another comparison? Jevon Walker, though I think Walker was the best of these three before he got hurt. In any event, I'd probably rate him in the top third or half of the first rounders in the last several years and I think that the wrist injury and lack of a recent 'wow' factor is keeping his draft status down.

2) Devin Thomas

Athletically, he's as talented as anyone. The drops and lack of experience concern me, though. On one hand, I could see him being a big, physical elite do-everything WR much like Andre Johnson if he 'gets it', or I can see him becoming another Ashley Lelie if he doesn't. He's a very difficult player to get a good read on. I could make an argument for why he'll go 11th to the Bills, or why he should be a 2nd or even 3rd round pick.

3) James Hardy

A very poor man's Randy Moss? I haven't seen him play much at all, but its who he reminds me of. He's a big, fast, athletic deep threat, but like a lot of tall receivers, he doesn't appear to be very physical and may have trouble with CBs disrupting his routes. The upside is enormous, but I do wonder how he'll adjust with the strength and physical play he'll be facing in the NFL. His route running is also reportedly weak. Still, I like him, and even as a project, I could see him as a typical late 1st rounder in most drafts. Of course, he could also be another Alex Bannister as well.

I don't think that this is a bad draft for WRs, even at the top. Its not great, and there's no elite prospect, but I think Sweed will be a very good pro and while the other two are very risky, they could be as good as anyone in the league. I believe that a lot of internet draftniks have taken Mayock's statement on the WRs a few months back and run with it and now its become accepted as fact. Yet at the time, even he admitted he was partially downgrading them due to his perception that WRs were becoming less important around the league.

I thought you already had 7K. :pirate: LOL!

I wish the Bills were in a position to take BPA to really build on the core of the team, but that just isn't so. I think we have to take a chance on a rookie WR/TE if the team TRUELY wants to make the playoffs.

Where's a still good, James Lofton type when you need one?? :P

It isn't your job to figure it out and they won't take your advice anyways.

So what are you trying to figure and why ?

Just have a beer instead.

geesh

Congrats on 7K.

Two thoughts on Devin Thomas. 1. He was a JuCo transfer, so he sat on the bench and had to work his way up from the bottom. That counts for a lot. 2. He uses his strength better than the other big receivers in the draft. He pushes smaller corners around. Much like Dwayne Bowe did last year, and Owens and Moulds are able to. He plays big, and you have to like that.

I like the Devin Thomas / Dwayne Bowe comparison, especially since Dwayne Bowe has really come through in the pros in his rookie year. His yards total and ypc are way up there.

Congrats JfH - 7000 - I feel like a slacker ;-)

I don't know, John - seems to me some positions more than other rely on coaching. So for example, I think defensive players - maybe LBs in particular. Can pretty much translate their college abilities to the pros really well. The learning curve doesn't seem as steep.

But for WRs, I think next to QBs and OL on offense, their learning curve is pretty steep. RBs probably have the biggest impact as rookies. These guys relied on their athleticism in HS, College whatever and only the guys who are students of the game and are willing to put in the study time, seem to be on an accelerated development pace.

The classic I think is Moulds. He did nothing for 3 years...3 years and I remember Marv being frustrated with him. Then a light goes on. There are exceptions - Moss for example. But he had freakish talent and I think the rest of the NFL never really found a way to neutralize it - if he *wanted* to play. There are I think guys in the NFL - who can only be defeated by themselves. Not many of those are in the WR group.

Don't know if that answers your question. I really like how Sweed plays over Kelly. He just seems to be at a different speed than everybody else. But I must confess I've only seen his highlight reel with a rock track behind it. So I might be biased.

IMHO, the most complete receiver I've ever seen out of college (and I haven't followed the game very long) is Rod Smith from Denver. With Hines Ward a close second. But that's only because I think Smith contributed almost immediately.

All things being equal I'd take the defensive player, if it was a position of need.

C

Louisville's Mario Urruita in the late rounds...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mario-urrutia?id=2331

Edited by stuckincincy

7000 posts of this deep insight. :pirate:

:P