Anyone Going To The Draft?

stewy23

Is anyone on here thinking of going to the draft? I'm thinking of going and I wanted to hear some stories from people who have gone in the past.

That and there is nothing really going on today. Help me out.

I understand that things will be different this year, with the first two rounds on Friday. My brother and I went last year and were two of the last people to get a ticket. Literally, out of some 3000 tickets, we were like numbers 2,995 and 2,996. We sat in the very top row of the hall. My advice is to go extra early to get a good spot in line. We arrived at 5AM the morning of the draft and there were already 3000+ people in line. Luckily, the line, which started at a street corner moved to the doors and created a mad rush with everybody running around 3 blocks to reform the line. We probably gained about 100-200 spots in line and actually got two of the last tickets. Probably more than a thousand people stood in line for 4-5 hours without getting a ticket! If you are going to spend the money to travel all the way to NYC, you better make sure you get in to the show. The NFL should be getting a notice out pretty soon with the directions for those planning to go. Last year it said that fans couldn't line up at a designated door at RCMH until 5AM so that's why we got there at that time. Nobody mentioned that a line actually starts around the corner at probably midnight (10 hours prior to ticket time). I'm not sure what the times will be this year, but I'm certain there will be way more people than tickets!

As far as the draft, we had a great time. You will be given a big plastic bag full of goodies including a draft guide, some snacks, and two wireless earphones to be able to listen to either the NFL network broadcast or ESPN, both of which are being broadcast right in front of you. Expect a lot of JETS and GIANTS fans, however, I was surprised at the overall league wide fan support. If you are a trooper and stay for the entire draft, (both days) you would get a free ticket to the next years draft. I couldn't afford the time, but some did. Overall, I had a lot of fun and the atmosphere is electric. Go if you can, but make sure you go early to get a ticket!

I understand that things will be different this year, with the first two rounds on Friday. My brother and I went last year and were two of the last people to get a ticket. Literally, out of some 3000 tickets, we were like numbers 2,995 and 2,996. We sat in the very top row of the hall. My advice is to go extra early to get a good spot in line. We arrived at 5AM the morning of the draft and there were already 3000+ people in line. Luckily, the line, which started at a street corner moved to the doors and created a mad rush with everybody running around 3 blocks to reform the line. We probably gained about 100-200 spots in line and actually got two of the last tickets. Probably more than a thousand people stood in line for 4-5 hours without getting a ticket! If you are going to spend the money to travel all the way to NYC, you better make sure you get in to the show. The NFL should be getting a notice out pretty soon with the directions for those planning to go. Last year it said that fans couldn't line up at a designated door at RCMH until 5AM so that's why we got there at that time. Nobody mentioned that a line actually starts around the corner at probably midnight (10 hours prior to ticket time). I'm not sure what the times will be this year, but I'm certain there will be way more people than tickets!

As far as the draft, we had a great time. You will be given a big plastic bag full of goodies including a draft guide, some snacks, and two wireless earphones to be able to listen to either the NFL network broadcast or ESPN, both of which are being broadcast right in front of you. Expect a lot of JETS and GIANTS fans, however, I was surprised at the overall league wide fan support. If you are a trooper and stay for the entire draft, (both days) you would get a free ticket to the next years draft. I couldn't afford the time, but some did. Overall, I had a lot of fun and the atmosphere is electric. Go if you can, but make sure you go early to get a ticket!

Great. Thanks. I live on Long Island so the travel isn't a problem. I just need to make sure I can secure a ticket.

I appreciate the advice.

Is anyone on here thinking of going to the draft? I'm thinking of going and I wanted to hear some stories from people who have gone in the past.

That and there is nothing really going on today. Help me out.

Not me. I'll be sitting in front of the tv with a case of soda popcorn right next to me. Just as good.

Really?

Or April Fools?

Great. Thanks. I live on Long Island so the travel isn't a problem. I just need to make sure I can secure a ticket.

I appreciate the advice.

I will be there. This will be my 8th consecutive draft. turftoe is right about getting there as early as you can. So you should get to Radio City on Friday and find out what the situation will be like. I stayed for the 2nd day last year so I'll be getting my ticket in the mail. The draft is a fun experience, fans of every team are there and they are just talking about football.

Let me know if you want to meet up

If you want to attend the NFL draft, don't want to stand in line all night, want the VIP treatment and have $625 laying around, here you go...

https://www.nfl.info/nflol/index.html (click on the tab for "draft 2008")

Someday I'll make it there.

PS I still think it would be a great idea to move the draft around to different NFL cities each year.

Stewy- hop on the LIRR to Penn Station. There's a bar on the LIRR level called Tracks that's owned by a huge Bills fan. He usually attends the Bills draft party at McFadden's on 2nd and 42nd. I got the email and the special runs from 4-11 or something like that. It's $25 all you can drink domestics and $30 all you can drink import with unlimited wings. Check out their site at www.nycbbb.com. I used to go all the time but have been out of the loop. I plan on going. Let me know if you are and I'll give you instructions or let you know when I'll be going thru Penn so you can get to McFaddens by subway.

Just an idea.

If you want to attend the NFL draft, don't want to stand in line all night, want the VIP treatment and have $625 laying around, here you go...

https://www.nfl.info/nflol/index.html (click on the tab for "draft 2008")

Someday I'll make it there.

PS I still think it would be a great idea to move the draft around to different NFL cities each year.

Sorry Labatt, I disagree with you. The NFL Draft is absolutely fine where it is. While the idea of having it at other NFL cities would be fun and it would be exciting for the fans of that particular NFL city, it would not be the same. As soon as that city's 1st pick is announced, nearly everyone in attendance would leave, and it just would not be the same.

I live in California and I have attended the draft since 2001. The draftniks I have gotten to know think I'm crazy for doing so. Yet I have met other fans who have travelled from their city to NYC to be a part of the draft and they have all ended up having a fun time.

If I can travel that far for the draft then so can other fans.

I do hope you get there one of these days soon, we need all the Bills fans at the draft we can get.

Sorry Labatt, I disagree with you. The NFL Draft is absolutely fine where it is. While the idea of having it at other NFL cities would be fun and it would be exciting for the fans of that particular NFL city, it would not be the same. As soon as that city's 1st pick is announced, nearly everyone in attendance would leave, and it just would not be the same.

I live in California and I have attended the draft since 2001. The draftniks I have gotten to know think I'm crazy for doing so. Yet I have met other fans who have travelled from their city to NYC to be a part of the draft and they have all ended up having a fun time.

I do hope you get there one of these days soon, we need all the Bills fans at the draft we can get.

I went to the draft a few times and had a ball. It is actually a reasonable wait in line because of the fans from all over. This year should be really fun for Bills fans.

I didn't know you could get tickets ahead of time. I went to day 2 the year Gretzky retired, because it was his last game in the Garden that night. There were only 50 people or so, and you didn't need a TV because you could actually hear the broadcast live, being a few rows up from it.

[quote name='MarkVaderr50' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:21 PM'

:blink: You are to be commended! I am tempted to go but probably not going to. I would actually prefer to go on Sunday. Is that a hard ticket?

[quote name='MarkVaderr50' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:21 PM'

:blink: You are to be commended! I am tempted to go but probably not going to. I would actually prefer to go on Sunday. Is that a hard ticket?

Day 2 of the draft is the easiest ticket to get. Although Day 2 has gotten more popularity it is nowhere near the draw Day 1 is. If you show up on Sunday for Day 2 and stay until the end of round 7, you will get a flyer to fill out so you can get a ticket for next year's draft.

Day 2 of the draft is the easiest ticket to get. Although Day 2 has gotten more popularity it is nowhere near the draw Day 1 is. If you show up on Sunday for Day 2 and stay until the end of round 7, you will get a flyer to fill out so you can get a ticket for next year's draft.

what time do you think I would need to get in line for a Sunday ticket? I am thinking about partying all night Saturday then getting in line for a ticket. What is Radio City like on draft day? Can you get food and drinks?

what time do you think I would need to get in line for a Sunday ticket? I am thinking about partying all night Saturday then getting in line for a ticket. What is Radio City like on draft day? Can you get food and drinks?

I am not sure what the exact time that Day 2 starts, 11:00am? You should be there about 90 minutes to 2 hours beforehand. Radio City is very big and holds a good capacity, but on Day 2 there will be plenty of room. They have vendors inside with basic fare(hot dogs, sodas, pretzels, candy) although it is a rip off. Try and get some breakfast before you get there.

Me personally would like to see the Buffalo Bills hold some type of draft party for its fans in the field house. Charge 20 bucks a ticket and donate half to some local charity..........

Throw a jumbotron or something up have some food, drinks, games......ect.........do some raffles to raise more money for charities......

Something else that would be awesome is at the draft party have it where Bills fans know the pick before anyone else does. Like seconds before they pick......annouce it at the party. Maybe have a couple players stop by sign some autographs..........make a day of it

Stewy- hop on the LIRR to Penn Station. There's a bar on the LIRR level called Tracks that's owned by a huge Bills fan. He usually attends the Bills draft party at McFadden's on 2nd and 42nd. I got the email and the special runs from 4-11 or something like that. It's $25 all you can drink domestics and $30 all you can drink import with unlimited wings. Check out their site at www.nycbbb.com. I used to go all the time but have been out of the loop. I plan on going. Let me know if you are and I'll give you instructions or let you know when I'll be going thru Penn so you can get to McFaddens by subway.

Just an idea.

That's not a bad idea. I've been talking about going into McFaddens to watch a game for about 3 years, but I still end up at my regular bar every Sunday (when I'm not at the Ralph, of course.)

Thanks.