ESPN Draft Day Memories -

With the Sabres season going down the toilet, I need to focus on some other sports item to relieve the sorrow. The upcoming draft came to mind and I started to think of the NFL Draft broadcast in the early days of ESPN. The days when Berman was quite a bit thinner and had more hair on his head than his back.

Draft day was a national holiday for me. When I was in high school, it was an automatic skip day - my mom never put up much of a fight always asking me to call her after Buffal picked. It was held on a weekday (Thursday, I think) and I always had a large pizza, an eight-pack of pepsi (yes, the old glass bottles) and something chocolatey for dessert.

I also had spent weeks preparing my first round mock draft (sometimes completing a second round as well) and had my list and all my prep. materials closeby so I could read about any pick that was made - that was well before Al Gore invented the internet.

I just remember getting so hyped up about the draft ... spending the day in shorts and a white t-shirt ... taking no calls from the girlfriend ... just having a guy's day. Now, with my son in tow, I am lucky to get to watch Buffalo's pick. Ah, some reflections from the good ol'days.

What are your memories?

88 - Thurman Thomas was featured with a camera in his room...everyone passed on him in the first round (Bills did not have a first round pick), Bills finally picked him in the second.

89 - Jets draft Jeff Lageman with their first pick, Kiper says something to the extent of The Jets just don't understand what the draft is all about.

This is more recent of course, but one of the best has to be so many of the ESPN analysts praising the Chargers selection of Ryan Leaf and almost to a man deeming him a better pro than Peyton. I'll never forget sitting in my hometown pizza place, Pizza Junction, watching the draft that day and ridiculously (looking back) nodding, "You know what, I think they're right about this Leaf kid." :lol:

The cast of characters has changed rather dramatically over the years. Paul Zimmerman of SI and Howard Balzer (sic), of the Sporting News were early scouts who knew absolutely nothing at all. Paul McGuire was also on the telecast at some juncture, so you can see that it's been shuffled a bit since the inception. Mel Kiper, Jr. was hilarious with a poster board with his top talent littered in behind him and Chris Berman. Even then, it was great theatre, and they knew it!! Someone ought to persuade ESPN to release some of the vintage coverage so we could all get a good laugh!! Back then, however, it WAS the draft, and I loved it.....

Note: When the entire idea was brought up with Pete Rozelle about televising the draft, he stated that reading the NYC telephone book, in his opinion, would be more interesting! Even Pete missed the significance!! AMAZING!!

Favorite memories: Watching Jets fans in the stands for years just look absolutely devastated by another horrendous first round pick. Watching the face of whatever year's "Brady Quinn" as he slid down the draft board after being hyped for months by a media that doesn't know jack. Watching Berman's eyes light up as he discussed his cab ride in Buffalo and then slipping in the name of our first round pick. Good stuff.

RTB

With the Sabres season going down the toilet, I need to focus on some other sports item to relieve the sorrow. The upcoming draft came to mind and I started to think of the NFL Draft broadcast in the early days of ESPN. The days when Berman was quite a bit thinner and had more hair on his head than his back.

Draft day was a national holiday for me. When I was in high school, it was an automatic skip day - my mom never put up much of a fight always asking me to call her after Buffal picked. It was held on a weekday (Thursday, I think) and I always had a large pizza, an eight-pack of pepsi (yes, the old glass bottles) and something chocolatey for dessert.

I also had spent weeks preparing my first round mock draft (sometimes completing a second round as well) and had my list and all my prep. materials closeby so I could read about any pick that was made - that was well before Al Gore invented the internet.

I just remember getting so hyped up about the draft ... spending the day in shorts and a white t-shirt ... taking no calls from the girlfriend ... just having a guy's day. Now, with my son in tow, I am lucky to get to watch Buffalo's pick. Ah, some reflections from the good ol'days.

What are your memories?

I loved those early days, too, and I'm pretty sure that the draft was held on Tuesday, not Thursday. I actually had those draft kits you could get from ESPN, complete with the old red logo in block letters, encased in the red oval. Ah, youth... :lol: