Scott Mayle

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787

This probably won't get to many peoples attention with everything else going on, but I remember a game in preseason where after missing the first pass thrown to him ( which he gave a valiant effort I might add ) Scott mayle went on to catch everything Trent Edwards threw at him for the rest of the game. Sure it was preseason but this guys a gamer.

I notice he was a running back in college with pretty decent stats and its apparent, he can catch the ball.

You guys have any idea why he hasn't had a chance at some playing time yet? Trent Edwards seems to connect well with him and its not like we aren't looking for help at the WR position.

Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this particular player and would care to share them.

Thanks

This probably won't get to many peoples attention with everything else going on, but I remember a game in preseason where after missing the first pass thrown to him ( which he gave a valiant effort I might add ) Scott mayle went on to catch everything the Holy Trent threw at him for the rest of the game. Sure it was preseason but this guys a gamer.

I notice he was a running back in college with pretty decent stats and its apparent, he can catch the ball.

You guys have any idea why he hasn't had a chance at some playing time yet? Trent Edwards seems to connect well with him and its not like we aren't looking for help at the WR position.

Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this particular player and would care to share them.

Thanks

It's funny with the Bills. Some players caught the Fans eyes last year, but never got a chance to play (early on). Fred Jackson and Jabari Greer come to mind. Both should have been given much more playing time from the very beginning of the season (IMO).

Mayle was someone that everybody talked about in camp last year, but I never saw what all the fuss was about. I watched him in practice, and don't really remember much from the preseason games, I just remember not understanding what everybody saw in him. But, I was in the minority.

Guest dog14787
Mayle was someone that everybody talked about in camp last year, but I never saw what all the fuss was about. I watched him in practice, and don't really remember much from the preseason games, I just remember not understanding what everybody saw in him. But, I was in the minority.

My cousin watched him allot in practice and said he was a good reciever, ran crisp routes, and thought he coul play at the NFL level.

He did also say that although Trent Edwards seemed to connect well with Mayle , JP Losman or Nall didn't seem to have the same connection.

I'm wondering if it was the seperation of the two, as Trent Edwards shifted to the starting role practicing with the starters, if the connection between the two was lost because they simply stopped playing together. :D

Maybe this preseason we should give Scott Mayle a chance with the starters to see if he clicks with Edwards again. :beer:

My cousin watched him allot in practice and said he was a good reciever, ran crisp routes, and thought he coul play at the NFL level.

He did also say that although Trent Edwards seemed to connect well with Mayle , JP Losman or Hamdan didn't seem to have the same connection.

I'm wondering if it was the seperation of the two, as Trent Edwards shifted to the starting role practicing with the starters, if the connection between the two was lost because they simply stopped playing together. :D

Maybe this preseason we should give Scott Mayle a chance with the starters to see if he clicks with Edwards again. :beer:

Perhaps you mean Nall

wow i was going to post something about this guy a day earlier but didnt, because maybe we just draft 1 WR and let Mayle compete because he has size at 6'1 and was very productive in college, well idk maybe a diamond in the rough?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

He did also say that although Trent Edwards seemed to connect well with Mayle , JP Losman or Hamdan didn't seem to have the same connection.

I'm wondering if it was the seperation of the two, as Trent Edwards shifted to the starting role practicing with the starters, if the connection between the two was lost because they simply stopped playing together. B-)

Maybe this preseason we should give Scott Mayle a chance with the starters to see if he clicks with Edwards again. :thumbsup:

I think he was distracted by the "Chroise." Mayle has a thing for guys with Chroise.

Guest dog14787
wow i was going to post something about this guy a day earlier but didnt, because maybe we just draft 1 WR and let Mayle compete because he has size at 6'1 and was very productive in college, well idk maybe a diamond in the rough?

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

Evidently Scott Mayle was one of the most productive receivers in school history. He finished his career ranked fourth all-time with 107 catches, second all-time with 1,847 career receiving yards and third all-time with 11 touchdown catches. Mayle also ranks among Ohio's career leaders in kickoff returns (4th- 64), kickoff return yards (3rd - 1,422), kickoff return average (5th - 22.22) and all-purpose yards (4th - 3,559).

The kid can play :thumbsup:

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

Why would we draft two recievers when we'll have Roscoe and Reed in non-starting roles if we draft one?

Evidently Scott Mayle was one of the most productive receivers in school history. He finished his career ranked fourth all-time with 107 catches, second all-time with 1,847 career receiving yards and third all-time with 11 touchdown catches. Mayle also ranks among Ohio's career leaders in kickoff returns (4th- 64), kickoff return yards (3rd - 1,422), kickoff return average (5th - 22.22) and all-purpose yards (4th - 3,559).

The kid can play :thumbsup:

11 TD catches gets you 3rd all time? lol. Some guys get that in one year. You're right, because he is one of the best WR's in that atrocious "school history," he might be a diamond in the rough.

It's funny with the Bills. Some players caught the Fans eyes last year, but never got a chance to play (early on). Fred Jackson and Jabari Greer come to mind. Both should have been given much more playing time from the very beginning of the season (IMO).

Some others have also said this & I wasn't going to reply but I really agree w/ this & Don't understand the admin thinking these guys weren't ready to play. What makes them not see this? If we all see it & after time the players prove their worth, What's up?

I'm perplexed

Some others have also said this & I wasn't going to reply but I really agree w/ this & Don't understand the admin thinking these guys weren't ready to play. What makes them not see this? If we all see it & after time the players prove their worth, What's up?

I'm perplexed

It probably has to do with several things:

1. Sometimes a guy looks good but the level of competition is low. In a pre-season game, after the 1st quarter the game is filled with bench players and worse.

2. Sometimes a guy might look good at the obvious things, but isn't picking up the more subtle aspects of the game. A back looks great running with the ball, but misses his blitz pickups, doesn't know the plays, etc. A WR makes a great catch, but doesn't know the routes, doesn't make the blocks downfield, etc.

3. The Bills have a conservative coaching staff (and GM with Marv) that tend to favor experience and familiarity, especially over unproven rookies.

4. The Bills had a very young team, to start with. I'm sure the coaches were concerned about having too many young/inexperienced players on the field, at the same time. So, while Fred Jackson may have looked good, they weren't going to dump Thomas and leave rookies/players w/no NFL experience as their ONLY option at RB. I'm guessing the same thinking played out when deciding who to play in the defensive backfield.

Now, with that said, it does seem they were a little slow to give these young guys who impressed ANY shot. I think they need to try to find places to get them in the game and see what they have. Given the weekly grind to get ready for the next game, I'm sure that's a little easier said, than done, though.

1. Sometimes a guy looks good but the level of competition is low. In a pre-season game, after the 1st quarter the game is filled with bench players and worse.

2. Sometimes a guy might look good at the obvious things, but isn't picking up the more subtle aspects of the game. A back looks great running with the ball, but misses his blitz pickups, doesn't know the plays, etc. A WR makes a great catch, but doesn't know the routes, doesn't make the blocks downfield, etc.

3. The Bills have a conservative coaching staff (and GM with Marv) that tend to favor experience and familiarity, especially over unproven rookies.

4. The Bills had a very young team, to start with. I'm sure the coaches were concerned about having too many young/inexperienced players on the field, at the same time. So, while Fred Jackson may have looked good, they weren't going to dump Thomas and leave rookies/players w/no NFL experience as their ONLY option at RB. I'm guessing the same thinking played out when deciding who to play in the defensive backfield.

Now, with that said, it does seem they were a little slow to give these young guys who impressed ANY shot. I think they need to try to find places to get them in the game and see what they have. Given the weekly grind to get ready for the next game, I'm sure that's a little easier said, than done, though.

All very good points. BUT, I can't help thinking that with injuries being so imminent, rotation of fresh legs not only allows development, but keeps our starters healthier & fresher, not to mention it builds depth. I realize that w/ a consevative approach, these trials seem hopeful at best. I may be wrong but it also seems that once the staff likes a player or drafted one high, they seem obligated to use them & may close their eyes a bit.

Guest dog14787
All very good points. BUT, I can't help thinking that with injuries being so imminent, rotation of fresh legs not only allows development, but keeps our starters healthier & fresher, not to mention it builds depth. I realize that w/ a consevative approach, these trials seem hopeful at best. I may be wrong but it also seems that once the staff likes a player or drafted one high, they seem obligated to use them & may close their eyes a bit.

Goes to show how hard it is to crack the starting lineup, and just because you show glimpses in preseason of being able to play, doesn't mean you will play. The guys in front of you have already been there, done that. So as a WR, you better show allot of promise if you really want to play.

Or as in Scott Mayle's case you better show allot of promise just to make the practice squad.

Guest dog14787
11 TD catches gets you 3rd all time? lol. Some guys get that in one year. You're right, because he is one of the best WR's in that atrocious "school history," he might be a diamond in the rough.

Note : Andre Reed had 142 catches for 2,020 yds. and 14 TD's, 3 more then Scott Mayle in comparison( Kutztown stats

Guest dog14787

Some of the points you bring up explain why Scott Mayle is not on the field yet during a game. Nice to have you chime in, your insight is sometimes very educational and generally right on the money.

I do hope Scott Mayle gets a chance to play with Trent Edwards again, he could come out of nowhere to be our number 2 WR, you never know until they have a little time to develop, this could be Mayle's year.