an idea for the sabres!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did... And they lost two ECF's!

Believe me... Things will tighten up during the playoffs... DB is still a -20 or more! :lol::blink:

And yet - without them the Sabres are on the outside looking in, while the Rangers are in and the Flyers, who were eliminated from playoff contention somewhere around Christmas last season, right now look like they will get in.

And yet - without them the Sabres are on the outside looking in, while the Rangers are in and the Flyers, who were eliminated from playoff contention somewhere around Christmas last season, right now look like they will get in.

LOL, I love reading the fans trying to convince themselves that the team is better off now then they were last year. Even if the Flyers miss the playoffs, they still improved from last year, while Buffalo can't quite say the same. I have also seen some say that this team is more of a cup contender then last years team, which is kind of confusing, cause last time I checked, you need to be in the playoffs to even have a slim chance to win the cup

Losing Briere and Drury was not the problem, its not going out and even trying to get replacements for them and their production was the problem. And overpaying an injury prone guy for one good year over the span of his career, when he has played in only 1 full season in over 5 years doesn't help either. Same with when you get to the point where a 40+ year old defencemen with a heart condition is your best defencemen

But hey, while we're pointing out holes in what people say I might as well mention this. The Rangers are in the same spot that they were last year and both teams did a hell of a lot more than just add Drury or Briere, especially the Flyers.

LOL, I love reading the fans trying to convince themselves that the team is better off now then they were last year. Even if the Flyers miss the playoffs, they still improved from last year, while Buffalo can't quite say the same. I have also seen some say that this team is more of a cup contender then last years team, which is kind of confusing, cause last time I checked, you need to be in the playoffs to even have a slim chance to win the cup

Losing Briere and Drury was not the problem, its not going out and even trying to get replacements for them and their production was the problem. And overpaying an injury prone guy for one good year over the span of his career, when he has played in only 1 full season in over 5 years doesn't help either. Same with when you get to the point where a 40+ year old defencemen with a heart condition is your best defencemen

Good points. I for one am very tired of hearing that "Briere and Drury didn't get us past the ECF, so we need to move on" crap that has popped up a few times on SS. Four teams make the Conference Finals each year and the Sabres, with Dru and DB as the focal points, made the Final Four two years in a row. The fault for not advancing to the SC Finals should lie with not getting the right periphery/role players around them - improving the defense, a little more toughness among the forwards, etc.

But hey, while we're pointing out holes in what people say I might as well mention this. The Rangers are in the same spot that they were last year and both teams did a hell of a lot more than just add Drury or Briere, especially the Flyers.

Very true. There's obviously more to the issue than just Drury and Briere, but I think it's safe to say that losing them both hurt the Sabres much more than each individual player has helped his new team.

They did... And they lost two ECF's!

Believe me... Things will tighten up during the playoffs... DB is still a -20 or more! :blink::devil:

youre right. obviously briere was going to have a bad season no matter where he played. it toootally doesnt matter that he went to a team that plays the exact opposite type of hockey that fits his game. we can definitely say that if he stayed in buffalo, he wouldve stunk this year (for the first time ever)...

also, i agree with you. id rather not make the playoffs at all than go to the ECFs every year.

:lol::blink:

(also, LOL at "during the playoffs". whats going to tighten up? Vanek's golf game?)

yeah, IN the playoffs...

well, to the FO's credit, they felt they had their replacements on the roster already. Not their fault the players underperformed this year.

but i will knock them for building a team that has NO, ZERO, ZILCH defense.

well, to the FO's credit, they felt they had their replacements on the roster already. Not their fault the players underperformed this year.

but i will knock them for building a team that has NO, ZERO, ZILCH defense.

well, I agree with you that just because Briere has had some struggles in Philly that he would have been the same this year in Buffalo, he has had no consistent linemates in Philly, which is hard enough if you have been on the team for a while, but when you are new to the team and their system its even worse, and he also went to a team that is not similar to the system he played in in Buffalo. Many of the top players are good because of the system they play in on that team, and if put in a different system or on a different team, they struggle.

As for the point in the quote, thats fine that the front office thought they had replacements on the roster, but they still did nothing to replace what would be lost with briere and Drury, and upgrade what they have (something that should be the goal of every good GM each offseason, improve upon what you already have. The problem is that you could say that Vanek should replace Brieres point loss, but then who replaces Vaneks production from the year before. You can shuffle the roster around, but you will still need to replace the lost production somehow, and thats what they didn't do, and they knew it, in that Press Conference they had after Briere and Drury left they said that they knew they wouldn't be as competitive this year. What management ever says that? especially that early in FA???? Why were they not on the phone at that moment trying to do something to replace some of their loss? Instead they just gave up and put all their hopes on the young players.

And what are you telling your fans when at the deadline you deal away the top defencemen cause yet again you can't sign that person to a long term deal, and get no replacement for that loss, when defence has been a problem and you are trying to fight to make the playoffs???? Teams like the Sabres should have been the most active at the deadline, the teams that are in a close fight for the playoffs (and are serious about trying to make the playoffs) should be the most active, with the teams that are already out trying to dump salaries, and teams that are at the top making a couple tweaks to get a bit better for a cup run. Instead they stand pat, basically just looking towards the future and giving up on the playoffs, hoping that a couple teams will help them get in

Like I said at SS... It is the PP unit and winning shootouts.

If they win only 50% of their shootouts this year... They are up in the top of the conference. TWO losses only separate them from OTT and a few more form other teams!

Take a handful of games that went the "other way" this year and you have the same exact team as last year that had things go "right" especially in to start the 2006-2007 season...

In theory they are fine... On paper they are fine... I can't explain the wheels coming off on the PP and shootouts!

Facts suck! I have finally realized how great they were not last year... But, freaking lucky!!

And of course they need to go and get that key player they lost in DB and CD.

youre right. obviously briere was going to have a bad season no matter where he played. it toootally doesnt matter that he went to a team that plays the exact opposite type of hockey that fits his game. we can definitely say that if he stayed in buffalo, he wouldve stunk this year (for the first time ever)...

also, i agree with you. id rather not make the playoffs at all than go to the ECFs every year.

:)<_<

(also, LOL at "during the playoffs". whats going to tighten up? Vanek's golf game?)

That is a one way street... It means that BFLO would have to lose the ECF'c EVERY year... Vs. possibly building to win it some day... I would take the later.

If kept in place, last year's team, I am 100% sure would have tappered off to exactly where we are today with no hope of going forward... Last year's team was lucky! This year, the shoe is on the other foot.

Just my opinion... I'd rather see them tear it down to build it up!

You can't forget that Miller doesn't have a very reliable backup and has played the majority of the games this year. He is three starts away from playing more games than any other Sabre goalie ever IIRC.

As far as Pominville is concerned, I would be shocked and pretty :) ing pissed if they traded or let him walk.

You can't forget that Miller doesn't have a very reliable backup and has played the majority of the games this year. He is three starts away from playing more games than any other Sabre goalie ever IIRC.

As far as Pominville is concerned, I would be shocked and pretty :) ing pissed if they traded or let him walk.

True... I would too!!

Are we really a victim of flukey success?

There is a great core there... But have ALWAYS been missing something to take them over the hump.

Like I said at SS... It is the PP unit and winning shootouts.

If they win only 50% of their shootouts this year... They are up in the top of the conference. TWO losses only separate them from OTT and a few more form other teams!

Take a handful of games that went the "other way" this year and you have the same exact team as last year that had things go "right" especially in to start the 2006-2007 season...

In theory they are fine... On paper they are fine... I can't explain the wheels coming off on the PP and shootouts!

Facts suck! I have finally realized how great they were not last year... But, freaking lucky!!

And of course they need to go and get that key player they lost in DB and CD.

And you know what you need on PPs and shootouts? Guys who will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Finishers.

You can probably figure out the names of the two players who led Buffalo in game-winning goals last season. And guess who had 6 of their 17 shootout goals? Hint: he wore #48.

And you know what you need on PPs and shootouts? Guys who will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Finishers.

You can probably figure out the names of the two players who led Buffalo in game-winning goals last season. And guess who had 6 of their 17 shootout goals? Hint: he wore #48.

True.

They are also a -4 and -20 something respectfully this year... Who knows, with those numbers they (Slugs) may have never even reached the extra stanzas this year.

I am not joking either... True they are finishers... But, especially #48 comes with some... Heck, A LOT of defensive baggage.

I will still contend last year was a fluke as much as this year is... Still the same probs on PP. Heck, even on shootsouts, how many Sabres games ended because MILLER couldn't push it to another shoot column?

:)<_<

The same problems exist... They are just maginfied because of all those flukey one goal comebacks early last season and the heroics in the playoffs.

Sure I don't like it... But, it shows that the management had the balls to change... Change which will pay off in the long run!

The Sabres are a very talented team that just have to mature... They are still very much feared!

Sure I don't like it... But, it shows that the management had the balls to change... Change which will pay off in the long run!

The Sabres are a very talented team that just have to mature... They are still very much feared!

The only person who fears the Sabres is the Friday night stockboy at Wegmans who has to replace all the Zima that the team wipes out of his coolers.

Where did the team change? Since the beginning of the 2006 season, Darcy has made 3 additions to this roster:

1) Danius Zubris

2) Nolan Pratt

3) Steve Bernier

Zubrus left town, Pratt was signed as an emergency addition, and Bernier was in return for an All-Star defenseman. Anyone else that is up on this roster was originally brought up because of injury and stayed on because they were a cheap replacement. (Stafford, Paille, Weber, Funk, Sekara, Kaleta)

The Buffalo Sabres - Florida Marlined the fans, and didn't even give them the courtesy of adding some veteran leadership and some grit at the deadline last year.

The Sabres are much like Menudo...they are put together to appease 14 year old girls, and once someone hits 25, a replacement is right around the corner.

The only person who fears the Sabres is the Friday night stockboy at Wegmans who has to replace all the Zima that the team wipes out of his coolers.

Where did the team change? Since the beginning of the 2006 season, Darcy has made 3 additions to this roster:

1) Danius Zubris

2) Nolan Pratt

3) Steve Bernier

Zubrus left town, Pratt was signed as an emergency addition, and Bernier was in return for an All-Star defenseman. Anyone else that is up on this roster was originally brought up because of injury and stayed on because they were a cheap replacement. (Stafford, Paille, Weber, Funk, Sekara, Kaleta)

The Buffalo Sabres - Florida Marlined the fans, and didn't even give them the courtesy of adding some veteran leadership and some grit at the deadline last year.

The Sabres are much like Menudo...they are put together to appease 14 year old girls, and once someone hits 25, a replacement is right around the corner.

We will see.