Automotive repair cost guidelines

The Poojer

need a new/rebuilt transmission for a 96 voyager, place i took it to said it is a Limpin Mode(?), basically it is starting in 3rd gear and not getting out of it, therefore being an internal issue. a rebuild is the way to go, rather than fixing the part. Should I expect to be between 1500-2000 for something like this? thanks in advance

need a new/rebuilt transmission for a 96 voyager, place i took it to said it is a Limpin Mode(?), basically it is starting in 3rd gear and not getting out of it, therefore being an internal issue. a rebuild is the way to go, rather than fixing the part. Should I expect to be between 1500-2000 for something like this? thanks in advance

pooj, awful old car to be be putting that kind of money into it. BTW, i have a good friend runs an auto repair place at Gayton and Ridgefield. Trust him implicitely. If you are working with any old shop, you might want to consider at least calling him and getting an estimate on the work. Tell him i referred you and you will get at least a little break on the labor. Don't get me wrong, he is still gunna make money, but i have done all my auto work with him and have been very satisfied. On that old of a car he may suggest some different options, as I have done with my 96 explorer with things like throttle asemblys, alternators and the such.

PM if you want contact info.

Just because it is in limp mode (2nd gear, actually) does NOT mean it needs a new tranny. It could be something as simple as a defective input or output speed sensor. (Trust me, I've owned 3 Mopar minivans.)

Get thee hence to a decent shop that has the proper scan tools. They will detect the problem instantly.

If you do end up needing a rebuild, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the people doing it are familiar with this transmission. Many shops fill these things with GM transmission fluid (sometimes using an "additive") that will kill the new unit in a year.

Insist on ATF+4.

Have you looked under the shifter bezel? I know on my 2006 Pacifica, as per the owner's manual... There is a reset (pink switch I am sure?)... I am owned a 1994 LHS/New Yorker which I am pretty sure had the tranny reset...

Proably not the issue... But, can't hurt.

The "limp mode" so as to get you to the shop under your own power vs. a tow. Kinda a good thing when the tranny gives way.

Again... What the heck... Can't hurt to probe around there?

just joking about the faggiggly valve. that is a reference to a "fairly oddparents" episode, it was a legit internal trans issue that required the rebuild, they were hoping it was simply some clutches with in and no real "hard parts" were affected, sadly it wasnt the case. the place i took it too was very above board, good local rep, and they were very easy and pleasant to work with, not to mention they had me in and out in less than 2 business days

???? Not sure about this, but I think I'd rather have bought your van for $1500.00 than have you give that kind of money to a shyster that makes false promises.

actually wound up needing a rebuild, something about a bad fagiggly valve...oh well, 2100.00 later its fixed and has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty

Tough situation. I can feel for you putting a lot of $$$ into an old vehicle. Still, sell it as is and you're looking at $500 probably. So for what amounts to like 3 new car payments you can still drive it around and sell it for book value at least

To everyone else, careful with Chrysler minivans and transmissions. My '02, in service 5 years, 3 months, 40,000 miles has had re-programs, adjustments, in 3x plus one complete re-build with convertor already. And it is running funny again. 7/70 is a sham as they charge you deductibles that are no where in your warranty, or it is not covered. Even so, I'm a fool if I keep it past the 7 years, so I got 21 months left to own the van then time to bail.

My wife has the same vehicle. Put in a rebuilt at Cottman's for $1100.00

Tough situation. I can feel for you putting a lot of $$$ into an old vehicle. Still, sell it as is and you're looking at $500 probably. So for what amounts to like 3 new car payments you can still drive it around and sell it for book value at least

To everyone else, careful with Chrysler minivans and transmissions. My '02, in service 5 years, 3 months, 40,000 miles has had re-programs, adjustments, in 3x plus one complete re-build with convertor already. And it is running funny again. 7/70 is a sham as they charge you deductibles that are no where in your warranty, or it is not covered. Even so, I'm a fool if I keep it past the 7 years, so I got 21 months left to own the van then time to bail.

Chrysler's weak point FOREVER... As long as I can remember and going all the way back has always been:

Transmissions and electrical.

Other than that... I always found them a joy to repair, really!

Good luck Pooj! Glad to hear it is fixed!