What Stroud hopefully provides for us.

What is a big key for success in the Cover 2, and more so the Tampa 2, is for the DT to be able to occupy 2 gaps so the S doesn't have to play up in the box when the opposing offense is in a two TE formation. This is what made Warren Sapp so special. If Stroud can stay healthy and accomplish this then we will see just how good of a pick Donte Whitner really was. Each one of them needs the other for both of them, and our whole defense, to have great success.

It is my hope that he scares offenses into game planning for him....freeing up McCargo to be the disruptor.....and then with finally getting some push up the middle that we have not had since the pat williams days our DE's are able to get good edge rushes that cause interceptions, sacks, and turnovers......

Which will allow us to control games with Lynch and intermedate passing from TE to whatever new tight end we have, evans, and whatever new big bodied receiver we have.......

How many interior lineman does a team keep? 4, 5? Kyle Williams will be a back-up/part of a rotation, so I am trying to understand why DL is still such a priority.

Most of the best defenses have 5-7 DTs, and the real trend is that among their rotations will be a number of high draft picks. We're one or two DTs shy of a quality rotation at this point, and one of our two high draft pick DTs is on the end of his career. We're ripe to find another quality DT if we'd like to be competitive this season.

I'm not saying a big 2-gap DT cant work in the tampa-2, because they can. But in true tampa-2, you want smaller, quicker, 1-gap, gap shooting DTs, ala Warren Sapp and/or Tommie Harries. You do NOT rely on one of those clogging up multiple gaps.

We've really used the Chicago model, with a NT and UT, we just haven't had the body for NT until now.

With Kyle Williams now being #4 in the rotation as opposed to #2, I think he'll be able to fill the bill just fine. He's a very hard working, instinctual player even though he's not quite ideal in size or talent.

Kyle will be an asset to our DT rotation until he leaves us in free agency, and there are teams who he would be better on than in our scheme. He has a tremendous natural ability to play low- but in our D he's asked to get up after contact to look to take away passing lanes with his hands. In another scheme, where he can simply play to hold his gap, he'll end up having a good career IMO. I like him a lot, but this is just not a perfect D for him. Hence, unless we get him to take a long term RFA contract, I think someone else will pony up better money once he's a UFA.

I like Stroud -- but am very concerned about his injury - - no not his ankle injury his micro fracture surgery which has reduced players to shadows of their former selves recently. Stroud did not look like the old dominating Stroud the past couple years, I would not of made the Trade if I was running the Bills. Thats not to say that we don't need help on the D. Line I would of just looked at some under the radar free agents like Spencer Johnson, maybe held onto to tripplett depending his cap figure. And used our 3rd and 5th round pick to maneuver up the draft.

The problem with Tripplet is that he was just consistantly getting PLOWED by opposing offensive lines and not getting pressure.......

I would much rather take a calculated gamble like this then go down a path that we KNOW what the end result is going to be......

Our defensive line could actually be very good this year.....

Most of the best defenses have 5-7 DTs, and the real trend is that among their rotations will be a number of high draft picks. We're one or two DTs shy of a quality rotation at this point, and one of our two high draft pick DTs is on the end of his career. We're ripe to find another quality DT if we'd like to be competitive this season.

We've really used the Chicago model, with a NT and UT, we just haven't had the body for NT until now.

Kyle will be an asset to our DT rotation until he leaves us in free agency, and there are teams who he would be better on than in our scheme. He has a tremendous natural ability to play low- but in our D he's asked to get up after contact to look to take away passing lanes with his hands. In another scheme, where he can simply play to hold his gap, he'll end up having a good career IMO. I like him a lot, but this is just not a perfect D for him. Hence, unless we get him to take a long term RFA contract, I think someone else will pony up better money once he's a UFA.

Teams dont actually rotate 6-7DTs in any given game. I would venture to guess most teams carry 4, maybe 5 active DTs on any given day. Simply beefing up the numbers at DT isnt going to guarantee us anything.

Teams dont actually rotate 6-7DTs in any given game. I would venture to guess most teams carry 4, maybe 5 active DTs on any given day. Simply beefing up the numbers at DT isnt going to guarantee us anything.

Good teams average about six 300 pound or bigger DLinemen. They understand that someone is bound to be hurt each week so sure, maybe only 5 get suited. That's why they carry 6. But if you look at both Super Bowl teams, teams that not coincidentally also were the top 2 teams in sacks last year, they both had 5 or 6 guys active playing inside on their Dlines during the 2007 season. One real eye-opener is how early and often some of the best teams have been willing to take DTs in the draft versus the perennial losing franchises of the league like Detroit and Buffalo.

Kyle Williams is another low round pick who plays because we have no one else.

not to mention Stroud has not proven he has recovered fully from his ankle and he is one drug test from a 1 year suspension.

I could see room for a top flight DT if one is available.

For the record, the second strike for steroids is eight games, not a full year. Let's hope Stroud doesn't give us any reason to remember that.

Or DE Harvey. :lol: Schobel 31 years old , Denny 32........not as far fetched as some might think........

Both Schobel and Denney will be 31 when the season begins. I hadn't realized they were over thirty. At least that's what the Bills website lists their age as.

How many times must it be mentioned that you cannot have enough pass rushers? If we haven't learned that after the SB, it won't ever happen.

The problem with Tripplet is that he was just consistantly getting PLOWED by opposing offensive lines and not getting pressure.......

I would much rather take a calculated gamble like this then go down a path that we KNOW what the end result is going to be......

Our defensive line could actually be very good this year.....

Absolutely. Tripplett had 2 memorable games in 2 seasons. Jax in 2006 and Was in 2007. Outside of that, I couldn't tell he was on the field. Stroud has more size and talent, and I'd take the risk than accept the consequence of lining up guys like Tripplett and Williams. Neither has the size or talent to negate opposing beat most OL's in the middle.

Everything starts up front on defense (and offense for that matter) The LB's are in a much better position to make plays, and stop things much closer to the LOS with a bigger DL. I would not have an issue with another pass rusher, especially considering Schobel and Denney are over 30.

I beg to differ sir. What you are describing is when an opposing offense is in a single TE formation and what I stated is when the opposing offense is in a TWO TE formation. Big difference.

I agree completely with this. Wide receivers and CBs can and will be taken after the 1st rd but to be able to take a playmaker for the DL is a small window of ooportunity. The stronger the DL the more the secondary can be disguised. It's no secret that Buffalo wants to rely on a heavy rotation on the DL. I wouldn't want to see the Bills reach for a DL with their first pick and if that is the case then one of the top CBs could make sense. I would like to see Buffalo take the best player available with their first pick but I'm talking on the defensive side of the ball only.

They have focused all of their FA efforts on the defensive side of the ball and really need to land a play maker for the offensive side of the ball in the draft. IMO the defense can compete and even excel with its current make up. with out some major help at WR and then TE the Bills aren't getting to be any better.

They have focused all of their FA efforts on the defensive side of the ball and really need to land a play maker for the offensive side of the ball in the draft. IMO the defense can compete and even excel with its current make up. with out some major help at WR and then TE the Bills aren't getting to be any better.

The Bills are going to take the best available at the position they are feel is the biggest need. If that is WR they will take one regardless of what people feel is to high or to low of a draft pick. Just like last year and the year before they got the guy they wanted. It makes sense to stay young on the D side of the ball. Who knows how the Bills think their TE will do this year. They may be high on who they have already. TE did a nice job getting them the ball last year. I would not put it past the front office to get a DE either even though we are paying well for the ones we have. I trust this group of evaluators, front office and coaches. They have done a nice job the last couple years. But to be honest I have no clue who they will take.