Don Banks Gets It

plenzmd1

From his article today on Si

Turk Schonert, Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator -- Schonert replaces Steve Fairchild, who left the Bills to take the head coaching job at his alma mater, Colorado State. Schonert coached Buffalo quarterbacks for head coach Dick Jauron the past two seasons, and he was one of the leading proponents of drafting current Bills starter Trent Edwards in the third round out of Stanford last year. "I think he was the steal of the draft,'' Schonert told me early last fall, just after Edwards replaced J.P. Losman in the starting lineup.

Schonert is entering his 13th season as an NFL assistant, but this is his first shot at being a coordinator. He takes over an offense that has finished 30th overall two years in a row, and he's not the type to play it safe and sorry. Buffalo will take more chances with Schonert calling the shots, and among his changes will be the return to a two-back offense that features a fullback, and allowing Edwards more freedom to audible and change plays at the line. Bills fans are going to like his aggressive approach.

Just like the sound of more aggresive!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ....coaches/1.html

But seeing Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey on that list makes me cringe.

Greggo is a great DC and that's what he will be doing in J-Ville. So, actually, that actually adds credibility to the piece, IMO. The Mikey M pick is a little more troubling. I don't think he was a bad OC in Pittsburgh, but his assorted stints in Buffalo and Miami were less impressive. What really get me is, Banks thinks it is a positive that Mike' "loved to design effective gadget or trick plays" as an OC. While the occasional trick play can be effective, in a well designed and properly executed offense, falling in love with the trick play is rarely a good thing, and that's what happened to Mularkey, IMO.

Greggo is a great DC and that's what he will be doing in J-Ville. So, actually, that actually adds credibility to the piece, IMO. The Mikey M pick is a little more troubling. I don't think he was a bad OC in Pittsburgh, but his assorted stints in Buffalo and Miami were less impressive. What really get me is, Banks thinks it is a positive that Mike' "loved to design effective gadget or trick plays" as an OC. While the occasional trick play can be effective, in a well designed and properly executed offense, falling in love with the trick play is rarely a good thing, and that's what happened to Mularkey, IMO.

Even though the #s might say GW had a #3 defense in his 3rd year, there was a reason for it.

1. Adding more veterans to that defense like Lawyer Milloy, Takeo Spikes and Sam Adams had more to do with that ranking than GW is given credit.

Williams pretense for blitzing every play resulted in a run-out-of-gas defense in the 4th quarter.

Even though the #s might say GW had a #3 defense in his 3rd year, there was a reason for it.

1. Adding more veterans to that defense like Lawyer Milloy, Takeo Spikes and Sam Adams had more to do with that ranking than GW is given credit.

Williams pretense for blitzing every play resulted in a run-out-of-gas defense in the 4th quarter.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, or what your point is.

GW has been a very effective DC. The position he held with the Titans and the Redskins. It is the position he will hold in Jacksonville.

GW was the Bills HC, a position he didn't quite seem up for and/or ready for, IMO.