Carlson improves stock

It appears that Carlson's draft status may suffer like Trent's last year in that both: (1) played for lousy teams their senior year and (2) were affected by the flu at the time of the combine. Similarly, Carlson, like Trent, would be an absolute steal in the third round.

That's all I'm saying. Thank you!

You should think before you randomly spew out stats. Jimmy Claussen was the worst QB in the history of life last year, not to mention that Weis was piss poor at everything. You want a better indication of his talent look at 07 where he gained 634 yards, averaging 13.5/catch, 4 TDs and a LONG of 62yds. On top of that you have to consider that in '07- Brady was lobbing long TD passes to Samardzija and McKnight. Sammy was a beast at catching jump balls and he got most of those calls. When you play in an offense that was as high gear as that one you make the plays when your number is called. Since I actually went to every home game that season and watched every minute of the away games, I think I probably have a better idea about the guy's talent level than you do. And if you would take a minute to look at how I post you would see that I don't just randomly praise all ND players. Limus Sweed is a WR, so how exactly are you grouping him with TE's? :wallbash:

Talking about playmakers,genius, we need help at both positions. No I didn't see every Notre Dame game. Ialso don't like watching horror movies. You may be right and his lack of stats are everyone else's fault.

Carlson looked like crap at the combine, so I am glad there was an excuse.

The #1 reason you draft this kid is for his head. Trent Edwards has a great mind, and a good feel out on the field. A guy like Carlson should know where to put himself in the passing game, and could very easily turn into a go-to guy. NE exploded because of Welker. Welker has the freedom to motion and choose his own routes. Brady is smart enough to feel it too. When you keep hitting soft spots for 4,7,12 yards...you are going to see things tighten up and allow Moss a little more breathing room. Josh Reed is already a smart route runner. If we go WR in the 1st and Carlson is still there in the 2nd, with his 17lbs back on that he lost at the combine....all of a sudden the Bills have all the makings of another K-gun attack.

I'd settle for a pop-gun attack after last Season... :wallbash:

I like Trent as much as the next guy, but i mean come on, i mean cooooooooome on.

Kelly >>>>>>>>>>>> Trent

Andre >>>>> Evans

Lofton >>>> Reed

Thurman >> Lynch

Kent Hull >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fowler

Hopefully Trent continues to progress, but that's a bit of a stretch at this point.

I am willing to wager major dollars that we see a SUBSTANTIAL amount of no huddle this year. Our offense is very intelligent, and if you add a guy like Carlson to go with Malcolm Kelly in the 1st, we will have the pure talent to go with the brains.

Edwards- Biggest asset is his decision making and his accuracy. He can handle a complicated system and has a solid enough arm to make the best of it.

The offensive line worked great with him because they are nice pass blockers and play their assignments well. They can handle a no-huddle package.

Lynch....Lynch is the weak link when it comes to assignments, but Freddy Jackson seems to be able to thrive in a hurry up package. Lynch is supposed to have hands, but I would focus more on having Lynch be the traditional back and Jackson the pass back, much like Maroney/Faulk in New England.

TE- Carlson if he is there and we take him, perfect fot the system. Can block on quick draws, and can find the open flat, or turn upfield on a read. We need to address the position no matter what, but you should be able to trust Carlson as a rookie.

WR....If we take Kelly, you now have Kelly, Evans, Reed and Parrish. You can change looks, and really nail defenses. If you put these 4 on the field at the same time, the middle of the field is going to open up. The same middle of the field that Trent Edwards should be able to pick apart. We haven't been able to run a system like that because of Losman's decision making. Reed has a great feel for Edwards and is a nice asset as a #3 possesion guy. Parrish is your Don Beebe type. If you limit him to flys and reverses, and try to get him lost in traffic in the slot every now and then, he becomes an asset as your #4. Evans is going to have less pressure on him with a bonafide potential superstar on his other side in Kelly. Evans now will make a few more big plays with the ball in his hands as opposed to being limited to deep routes. He is intelligent as well, and can exploit a defense when focused. Assuming we draft Kelly, which is a big assumption in my part, you now have a complete receiver. Speed, leaping ability, hands, big blocking, across the middle....he has it all. He will be a little behind as a rookie, but he should catch up and really thrive as he matures. You have 3 guys that can beat you deep in single coverage by a CB in Evans, Kelly, Parrish....you have 3 guys who can break off routes, and be trusted over the middle in Reed, Kelly and Carlson, and these 3 can also block as well and would compliment Lynch in a power game when needed.

Like I said, it is a big assumption that we will draft Kelly and Carlson, but that would give us all of the tools to be a top 5 team by 2010 at the latest. I am very bullish on this team, and while we may not have proven superstar quality as of yet, we should have plenty of hard working, talented quantity that will not be matched by many teams. We will have in fact copied the Patriots' model perfectly and will be a team on the rise as the Patriots themselves have some gas tanks that will be running on fumes.

I like Trent as much as the next guy, but i mean come on, i mean cooooooooome on.

Kelly >>>>>>>>>>>> Trent

Andre >>>>> Evans

Lofton >>>> Reed

Thurman >> Lynch

Kent Hull >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fowler

Hopefully Trent continues to progress, but that's a bit of a stretch at this point.

I see what you're saying but it's interesting that you don't inlcude the position the K-gun was named for in light of the thread subject being about a potential solid pro at that position.

GO BILLS!!!

Carlson looked like crap at the combine, so I am glad there was an excuse.

The #1 reason you draft this kid is for his head. Trent Edwards has a great mind, and a good feel out on the field. A guy like Carlson should know where to put himself in the passing game, and could very easily turn into a go-to guy. NE exploded because of Welker. Welker has the freedom to motion and choose his own routes. Brady is smart enough to feel it too. When you keep hitting soft spots for 4,7,12 yards...you are going to see things tighten up and allow Moss a little more breathing room. Josh Reed is already a smart route runner. If we go WR in the 1st and Carlson is still there in the 2nd, with his 17lbs back on that he lost at the combine....all of a sudden the Bills have all the makings of another K-gun attack.

Absolutely agree on smarts. Having the ability to mentally transition from the college game to the pro game cannot be underestimated.

I think Carlson's stock ought to rise now that we're five weeks out of the draft. Smart players with good physical ability always trump the more pedestrian thinking players with excellent physical traits. I just don't think we're K-Gun ready, no matter who's taken in the draft.

It all comes down to how they use the passing game this year, Carlson, Fred Davis, Keller, whomever. If they want to use the TE, and have the right one, it'll be easier for Edwards. If Royal is the starter, it'll be bad again.