With the 11th pick

Ok, I don't think we are taking a WR with pick #11. It's gotta be a CB.

There are so many big WR's out there. It just seems to me that if I'm the Bills FO, I'm looking for a guy who has the most experience in actual games. The top 3 aren't convincing me of that...(Sweed, Kelly, Devin Thomas especially). Too bad James Hardy has a mark against his character record. I would take a guy like Adarius Bowman if teams let him slide to round 2. The knock was drops at the Sr. Bowl parctices.....listen to Allen Iverson, man. Let the others be enamoured by great 40's and workouts. When it comes to a WR, gimme game experience and consistent production any time.

An edge rusher would be great, but he better be better than Schobel...and I don't think a rookie is going to be right away. That's just me being realistic.

DT....we have invested heavily here recently. McCargo in RD 1, now we bring in Stroud and Johnson. I just don't see a first rounder spent here. No way KC lets Sedrick Ellis get by them, so forget about that wet dream, as I have seen in a couple mocks.

So, now that we have done away with the silly fascination of WR and the respectable wish for a DE and DT, we turn our attention to the real need.

CB.

If Jenkins falls to us, you gotta take him. That's who I'm guessing the pick is.

Thoughts?

An edge rusher would be great, but he better be better than Schobel...and I don't think a rookie is going to be right away. That's just me being realistic.

Thoughts?

I don't think any of these wr's are worth that high of a pick. None of them are that good of prospects. The recent reports of Kellys arthritic knees could see him fall. Sweed has had lingering injury problems, and neither will be bpa. While corner is a need I agree 100%, I think you can can get corners this year until early-mid 4th rd. An edge rusher doesn't have to be better then Schobel right away. They have to be a better athlete/pass rusher then Kelsay or Denney.

We're looking at a situation where Schobel is over 30. Neither Kelsay or Denney are that good, and we need serious improvement to our pass rush. Our defensive line is far from a finished product. I'd like to see Derrick Harvey at 11. Now with that said. I could live with Jenkins or DRC. I'd much prefer to see a bonafide pass rushing threat.

Ok, I don't think we are taking a WR with pick #11. It's gotta be a CB.

There are so many big WR's out there. It just seems to me that if I'm the Bills FO, I'm looking for a guy who has the most experience in actual games. The top 3 aren't convincing me of that...(Sweed, Kelly, Devin Thomas especially). Too bad James Hardy has a mark against his character record. I would take a guy like Adarius Bowman if teams let him slide to round 2. The knock was drops at the Sr. Bowl parctices.....listen to Allen Iverson, man. Let the others be enamoured by great 40's and workouts. When it comes to a WR, gimme game experience and consistent production any time.

DT....we have invested heavily here recently. McCargo in RD 1, now we bring in Stroud and Johnson. I just don't see a first rounder spent here. No way KC lets Sedrick Ellis get by them, so forget about that wet dream, as I have seen in a couple mocks.

So, now that we have done away with the silly fascination of WR and the respectable wish for a DE and DT, we turn our attention to the real need.

CB.

If Jenkins falls to us, you gotta take him. That's who I'm guessing the pick is.

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't agree as the Bills have shown that they will pick the player they have targeted regardless of whether the "experts" think it is a reach or not. I really think the interest in Devin Thomas is not a smoke screen - he reminds me so much of Andre Reed.

But, it appears others are starting to think like you. See NFL Draft Countdown's latest mock draft for example.

I would not be unhappy with getting a big quality corner like Rodgers-Cromartie in Round 1 and coming back with a TE like Fred Davis or WR like Hardy or Doucet (see round 2, they both go ahead of us but within 5 picks or so - one of them might fall to us).

If they don't extend Evans by the time the draft rolls around then they will probably take a WR #11. If they are offered an opportunity to trade down, then they might make a move down, but I don't expect them to actively look for partners. It's not unrealistic to think that a team would like to slide into that spot to draft McFadden or Matt Ryan if one of them slides.

If they do extend Evans then they'll take the best available player at a position of need whether it's CB, LB, DL, OL, etc.

The best scenario in my opinion is to trade down and take a receiver. However, if they are high on someone like Devin Thomas take him at #11 similar to when they had to REACH for Marshawn Lynch. #2 WR is by far the most glaring weakness on this team. Get your TE/CB in the 2nd/3rd round.

I personally like the scenario where we trade with Dallas for both of their picks, but would Jerry Jones do that if McFadden falls that far? Seems like a lot to give up for #11.

I don't think any of these wr's are worth that high of a pick. None of them are that good of prospects.

Exactly. Look back even at least year at the first two rounds of WR's (which was regarded as a better class), there's barely any impact. We need at least one WR in this draft, but not at #11.

Personally, I don't agree as the Bills have shown that they will pick the player they have targeted regardless of whether the "experts" think it is a reach or not. I really think the interest in Devin Thomas is not a smoke screen - he reminds me so much of Andre Reed.

But, it appears others are starting to think like you. See NFL Draft Countdown's latest mock draft for example.

I would not be unhappy with getting a big quality corner like Rodgers-Cromartie in Round 1 and coming back with a TE like Fred Davis or WR like Hardy or Doucet (see round 2, they both go ahead of us but within 5 picks or so - one of them might fall to us).

I like getting DRC, but if one of those receivers don't fall to us in the 2nd (which they don't in that mock), we are seriously screwed. We'd have to scramble for some old guy that gets released off another team and hope that a 3rd or 4th round wr will be good enough to start.

I'd like another top notch corner on the team - but we have an empty spot at starting receiver - we have corners, we need more for competition to start and depth. We have no second receiver at all, and no size to back up anybody. Receiver at 11 is the safest route in next year's draft and we'll have the pick of the litter. Corner we can address in round 2.

Exactly. Look back even at least year at the first two rounds of WR's (which was regarded as a better class), there's barely any impact. We need at least one WR in this draft, but not at #11.

Dan, not to split hairs, but if Calvin Johnson winds up making the Hall of Fame, or even being very good, are you saying he was a bad pick because he didn't finish in the top 10 last year? Sorry, but that's the way I read this.

It seems like your case for drafting a CB is based on the idea that you don't want to draft anything else. I'm not sure that's a particularly good strategy.

Put aside your own personal biases toward any particular position, and its pretty clear where they're going with this pick. They have three major needs going into this draft: CB, WR and TE. They have two major areas of weakness in their receiving corps and only one in the defensive backfield. They're probably going to want to do all they can to ensure that at least one of their holes offensively gets filled. That suggests they are likely to select a WR at 11, ensuring that they get their highest rated prospect at the position, whoever that may be. Add in the fact that they've already gone to considerable expense improving their defense, and its highly likely that they'll turn their attention toward the offense early in this draft.

That doesn't rule out a CB in R1, but I feel its fairly unlikely at this time. The best chance of it happening is if they do not have a WR on their board carrying a grade similar to their top CB available at 11 and that's something that we do not know. There's little chance, otherwise, IMO.

so how do you get good wide receivers that can step in and start? Old castoffs - like Peerless? or overpay ridiculously for a free agent? Doesn't add up.

The bills drafteed 2 CBs in the 1st round a few years ago. Both turned out to be very good players. Both left to FA after their contracts expired. It seems obvious to me that the bills do not want to invest the money for great CBs. Why draft a CB if you have absolutly no intention of keeping him past his rookie contract?

Our biggest need is at WR. Reed can NOT be our #2 WR again next season. I dont believe any of the WRs are worthy of the #11 pick. The best is probubly worth the 19th pick. The bills may try to trade down in the 1st, and still get their guy, but if no team is willing, then I think the bills will take (reach) for a WR at #11.

The bills have been known to "reach" for players they want/need ahead of where they are projected to go by the "experts".

1st: WR

2nd: TE

3rd: CB

I thaught that DE could be a possibility, but since we didnt sign a FA WR, we need a starting wr much much more.

I like getting DRC, but if one of those receivers don't fall to us in the 2nd (which they don't in that mock), we are seriously screwed. We'd have to scramble for some old guy that gets released off another team and hope that a 3rd or 4th round wr will be good enough to start.

I'd like another top notch corner on the team - but we have an empty spot at starting receiver - we have corners, we need more for competition to start and depth. We have no second receiver at all, and no size to back up anybody. Receiver at 11 is the safest route in next year's draft and we'll have the pick of the litter. Corner we can address in round 2.

exactly :pirate: ....I totally understand that last year we let a lot of teams throw on us, but I dont see Buffalo wanting to go threw another year of not being able to get the ball to Evans because hes duoble teamed and not getting the ball to anyone else because well..there is noone else...I dont like how that mock went from CB to TE when all those WR's were being taken...If it falls the way that mock is set up we have no WR core at all..dont get me wrong I like Reed and Parrish but they are 3rd and 4th wr's not #2's...I think a quality CB can be had in rounds 3-5 as well...and I dont buy into the whole "value" crap ppl keep trying to use on this site...WR is the Biggest need this year just as RB was last year so I feel they take WR with #11 unless they feel theycan get one of the better guys in the 2nd.

They could go DE because they need a replacement for Hargrove.

They could also go CB, WR or TE because according to the "Experts" here, those are our biggest needs.

What we do know from previous drafts is that they will take someone they want when they pick (even if the "experts" think its a reach) because they don't want to risk losing them,and have no problem moving up in later rounds to get who they want.

As for WR's, remember, they are not looking for someone to come in and replace Evans as the #1 (and its not going to matter if they have him locked up by the draft, for all we know they haven't even started negotiating with him yet on an extension), they are looking for a #2 guy, so they need someone who can play, but doesn't have to be great. They don't need a Johnson, or Fitzgerald, or Moss type player right now, they just need someone that can be a threat to take coverage off of Evans, just a change in play calling may even help that out too, if teams aren't able to predict our Run, Run, Pass offence from last year and defend it with ease.

They could go DE because they need a replacement for Hargrove.

They could also go CB, WR or TE because according to the "Experts" here, those are our biggest needs.

What we do know from previous drafts is that they will take someone they want when they pick (even if the "experts" think its a reach) because they don't want to risk losing them,and have no problem moving up in later rounds to get who they want.

As for WR's, remember, they are not looking for someone to come in and replace Evans as the #1 (and its not going to matter if they have him locked up by the draft, for all we know they haven't even started negotiating with him yet on an extension), they are looking for a #2 guy, so they need someone who can play, but doesn't have to be great. They don't need a Johnson, or Fitzgerald, or Moss type player right now, they just need someone that can be a threat to take coverage off of Evans, just a change in play calling may even help that out too, if teams aren't able to predict our Run, Run, Pass offence from last year and defend it with ease.

I agree....I think the Bills are going to have a list inhand of ppl they want @ #11 and they have them graded according to what they like best...if any of these players are there at #11 they'll take him...so #11 is really a crap-shoot..we know they "need" WR,TE,CB,DE, but they might have other positions on that list of players...so like I said most likely its going to fall to whos on list and what grade they have....I could be wrong but thats the way Levy said the last few drafts have gone.

as far as DE goes..I wouldnt be suprised to see Spencer Johnson to move over and take Hargroves place...and maybe see Bills grab another DT in draft...from what i remember I think they talked about Johnson being good at both spots or atleast usable at both.

I agree....I think the Bills are going to have a list inhand of ppl they want @ #11 and they have them graded according to what they like best...if any of these players are there at #11 they'll take him...so #11 is really a crap-shoot..we know they "need" WR,TE,CB,DE, but they might have other positions on that list of players...so like I said most likely its going to fall to whos on list and what grade they have....I could be wrong but thats the way Levy said the last few drafts have gone.

The one thing we do know, most here will kick and scream against the pick because "Their Guy" (who is obviously a much better player and fills the needs of the team so much better then the guy the team picked) wasn't picked and the guy they did pick was a "reach"

it also probably won't be someone we are expecting either, like the Whitner pick. I don't think there were more then a handful of people that predicted that one

Dan, not to split hairs, but if Calvin Johnson winds up making the Hall of Fame, or even being very good, are you saying he was a bad pick because he didn't finish in the top 10 last year? Sorry, but that's the way I read this.

That's not what I'm saying. What I implied is that getting a WR at #11 doesn't mean the Bills are all set. Trent Edwards needs help immediately if he is going to progress. If the scouts believe this isn't a stellar class (which is what I keep hearing) or if there is a lot of risk in the top picks, I'd rather see the Bills trade down and get the same player or wait until the 2nd round.

If the Bills can get the production that Calvin Johnson had last year (48-756 yds-4TD) out of the #11 pick I'd be totally happy. What I'm worried about is picking a WR high and not getting immediate return. I also understand that the Bills don't need a #1 receiver, but you don't spend practically a top 10 pick on a guy who will always be a #2 or #3. Especially with Evans in the last year of a contract presently.

Last years draft might be an indication of what happens this year, but look at last years picks.

1) Calvin Johnson-see above

2) Ted Ginn Jr.-picked way too high

3) Dwayne Bowe-had a great season, better numbers than Calvin (wasn't injured)

4) Robert Meachem-didn't play

5) Craig Davis-188 yards and 1TD

6) Anthony Gonzalez-576 yards, no TD's until week 14

There's more here: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/...raftyear%3D2007

Maybe my argument is really flawed but the word is that there is no Calvin Johnson in this years draft. I like Malcolm Kelly, but I would like him even more if we could get him at #15 and pick up another pick.