NCAA brackets are out now

Pete

I like Texas in this bracket but Simon is clearly up to his usual "lets argue because I like to argue" routine.

So their schedule doesn't measure up by the arbitrarily defined guidelines of "calendar year"....yawn.

They lost to UCLA @Anaheim in the E8 2 years ago. They beat Texas A&M @Texas & lost to Ohio St in the E8 last year.

They have NBA players & they can ball.

But what is pretty much business as usual on this board, a moderator or long time member of the board with over 10,000 posts will make some witty post, manipulating the numbers & it will be immediately followed by his clan of dipshits praising what a brilliant post it was. The same dipshits I might add that probably have not even watch a college basketball game all season.

Memphis had the 9th toughest nonconference schedule in the country & the 27th toughest schedule among some 300 + division 1 teams. In addition, they probably have 4 current players on the team that are going to be drafted this summer if they all decide to come out. Dont tell me they are not battle tested & dont tell me they didnt play a challenging schedule. It is not their fault they are in conference USA. & like I said, teams like UAB, Tulsa, UCF, Houston, UTEP, Souther Miss. They are not bad teams.

BTW, I like Texas too for the simple fact that the regional is going to be played in Houston & I think Memphis' foul shooting is going to catch up with them sooner or later.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Texas in this bracket but Simon is clearly up to his usual "lets argue because I like to argue" routine.

So their schedule doesn't measure up by the arbitrarily defined guidelines of "calendar year"....yawn.

They lost to UCLA @Anaheim in the E8 2 years ago. They beat Texas A&M @Texas & lost to Ohio St in the E8 last year.

They have NBA players & they can ball.

I'm not discounting that they are a good basketball team - they are. I am saying that their lack of playing tough opponents down the stretch could easily come back to bite them in the ass against a team like Pittsburgh or Texas.

But what is pretty much business as usual on this board, a moderator or long time member of the board with over 10,000 posts will make some witty post, manipulating the numbers & it will be immediately followed by his clan of dipshits praising what a brilliant post it was. The same dipshits I might add that probably have not even watch a college basketball game all season.

Memphis had the 9th toughest nonconference schedule in the country & the 27th toughest schedule among some 300 + division 1 teams. In addition, they probably have 4 current players on the team that are going to be drafted this summer if they all decide to come out. Dont tell me they are not battle tested & dont tell me they didnt play a challenging schedule. It is not their fault they are in conference USA. & like I said, teams like UAB, Tulsa, UCF, Houston, UTEP, Souther Miss. They are not bad teams.

BTW, I like Texas too for the simple fact that the regional is going to be played in Houston & I think Memphis' foul shooting is going to catch up with them sooner or later.

Well, I think that's what the other guy Simon was saying- Memphis has played a schedule, especially for the last three months of conference play, where they were easily the more talented team. They had four NBA prospects playing against teams with one or zero. It didn't matter if they missed free throws, or were sloppy with the ball, their talent could overcome 'powerhouses' like Tulane.

Consider Memphis in the tournament against a team like Wisconsin (different brackets, I know, just an example.) Wisconsin has maybe one solid NBA prospect...But it's hard to imagine the Tigers simply riding their talent to a 51-48 grinder game against a tough, slow-tempo, defensive team like the Badgers. Shooting 48% from the free throw line and turning the ball over will not win a game like that.

Another point: Calipari is an excellent coach, but as for the rest of the C-USA, their coaches are all minor-leaguers compared to the big-time schools. Memphis has not only an inherent talent advantage over those teams, but also a coaching advantage. You could see Memphis struggle against the schemes of a guy like Tim Floyd when they played USC, and Pearl is a hell of a coach at Tenn...They will see more of that stuff from the 2nd round and beyond.

They've only lost once and their #1 seed is well-earned. We'll see how they do.

I like Memphis a lot too but I worry that their level of competition will hurt them as they get deeper into the tournament.

Printable Bracket

Wrong again Simon. I always knew you didnt know what you are talking about in football but I guess you could add college basketball to the list of topics you like to talk out of your ass about.

Pretty obvious to see who decided to start this pissing match. And for the record, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Wrong again Simon. I always knew you didnt know what you are talking about in football but I guess you could add college basketball to the list of topics you like to talk out of your ass about.

Pretty obvious to see who decided to start this pissing match. And for the record, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Well, I guess Im just tired of Simon's know it all attitude. You question him on football matters & he makes fun of your football intellect. Maybe I was confrontational with him & could of worded it better & for that I apologize, but please dont tell me that Memphis didnt play a tough schedule. If you followed basketball all year you would know that coach Cal for the last few years has scheduled a grueling non conference schedule because he know his team will probably roll thru tourney play.

& for the record, if you dont have a dog in this fight Lori, why are you adding in your 2 cents in? Oh yeah, I forgot, Simon & you are fellow moderators & you all have to stick together right?

Well, I guess Im just tired of Simon's know it all attitude. You question him on football matters & he makes fun of your football intellect. Maybe I was confrontational with him & could of worded it better & for that I apologize, but please dont tell me that Memphis didnt play a tough schedule. If you followed basketball all year you would know that coach Cal for the last few years has scheduled a grueling non conference schedule because he know his team will probably roll thru tourney play.

& for the record, if you dont have a dog in this fight Lori, why are you adding in your 2 cents in? Oh yeah, I forgot, Simon & you are fellow moderators & you all have to stick together right?

it was an unprovoked attack by you Gordio. Instead of trying to justify your hostility- how about you apologize?

Now you're attacking Lori for no reason? :beer:

Now you're attacking Lori for no reason? :beer:

That is attacking Lori?

Simon, you were right, I was wrong, Memphis did not play a good schedule & it will probably come back to bite them in the sweet sixteen.

Seemed like it to me - like you were pissed that she was "standing up" for Simon.

Nah, not really.

Think texas is going to have any trouble getting out of the first weekend. Im thinking about putting some money on them against Austin Peay.

Nope, just thought the later post I quoted was amusing, since the initial post of his that you attacked didn't seem particularly witty. Pretty innocuous, in fact. I'm cool with your clarification.

Carry on...

Nah, not really.

Think texas is going to have any trouble getting out of the first weekend. Im thinking about putting some money on them against Austin Peay.

Not at all. There are two teams that I think will play us to close games in the bracket are Memphis and Stanford. I think we can take Pitt.

Not at all. There are two teams that I think will play us to close games in the bracket are Memphis and Stanford. I think we can take Pitt.

If they both get that far, it is going to be interesting game between them & Stanford. I dont think they have anybody that could check the lopez brothers. Augustine & abrams are going to have to come up huge in that one.

If they both get that far, it is going to be interesting game between them & Stanford. I dont think they have anybody that could check the lopez brothers. Augustine & abrams are going to have to come up huge in that one.

Sorry Texas guys, but I have Marquette taking you out. Tough team, experienced and talented. Only thing I can't quite put my finger on is how much of a homefield advantage playing in Houston is for you guys.

I'm not discounting that they are a good basketball team - they are. I am saying that their lack of playing tough opponents down the stretch could easily come back to bite them in the ass against a team like Pittsburgh or Texas.

That's pretty much spot-on what I was trying to say.

Apparently my comment that I was a little worried about their level of competition was far too inflammatory for our resident Memphis undergrad.

Simon is clearly up to his usual "lets argue because I like to argue" routine.

So I agree with Pete that I also like Memphis but mention that level of competition is a worry.

Then a stalker comes out of the woodwork and starts ripping me again.

And I'm the one who "likes to argue".

Okey-dokey. :thumbsup:

Memphis had the ..... 27th toughest schedule among some 300 + division 1 teams.

a moderator.....manipulating the numbers

So you originally misrepresented the strength of their nonconference schedule and now you are trying to compare their SOS to the entire country instead of the teams in teh tournament. Yet I'm the one manipulating numbers? Good one. :D

I don't think there's any argument that they're one of the most talented teams in the tournament and a legitimate argument could be made that they are the MOST talented team in the tourney.

But this tournament is rarely won by the most talented team. Hell, we've seen no less than Roy Williams put 5 NBA players on the floor and still get sent home.

I couldn't give a rat's ass how much you hate me and you can deny it all you want but among the teams with a legitimate shot Memphis may very well be the least battle-tested among them. And in this tournament, I think that means something.

Sorry Texas guys, but I have Marquette taking you out. Tough team, experienced and talented. Only thing I can't quite put my finger on is how much of a homefield advantage playing in Houston is for you guys.

The problem with picking Marquette to beat Texas, is that Marquette wins by doing the following things:

- Force lots of turnovers

- Play an up-tempo game

- Likes to score in the backcourt.

For each thing they like to do, that is a strength of Texas.

Texas:

- Turns the ball over the least amount of times of ANY team in the NCAA.

- Is comfortable playing an up-tempo game.

- Plays a 2-3 zone.

I think it is pretty safe to say that Texas has top 5 guard play, which inturns negates all the advantages Marquette usually enjoys. Marquette will be lucky to take out kentucky in the 1st round, they are not going to beat Texas in what should be a home court advantage for them down in houston.

The one team noone is talking about is Arizona. Ive watched these guys alot this year & man for man as far as talent goes, this team should be able to play with anybody in the country. They have had some injuries, but they have lost some games this year that they have just had no business losing. If they get their heads on straight in time for opening round tipoff, they should be able to handle WV & then they will give Duke fits with their athletes. Get by Duke & guess where the regional is, that is right Phoenix. I dont think anybody in the other side of the region wants to see arizona getting ready to play there. Of course the flip side is, Alexander could go off for 40pts & they could get blown out by WV.

As if anyone needs another reason to hate Duke.....

Local CBS station has their game slated over the obvious "sexiest 1st rd game" of USC-K. St.

What a joke. I ordered the March Madness package so I could care less. Actually Im glad the duke game is the one the local affiliate is picking up, I dont get HD on my CBS but with the Mega March Madness, the games I get extra in the 700s are supposed to come in on HD. At least that is what the lady from direct tv told me last week.