Now that it's pretty thin for FA wide receivers, I wouldn't

Rookie WRs don't usually contribute that much, so I am having a hard time understanding why drafting a WR is so much more preferable.

Assuming the world doesn't end in 2008 , these (one or two) rookie wr's will be second year players in 2009. Other than D.J. Hackett, why spend money on other teams waste products, when you can develop guys with more talent... even if they have to be rookies.

Outside if RBs, few rookies at any position contribute much outside of special teams.
Aside from the QB position (Even Edwards contributed) ALL 1st day picks are EXPECTED to contribute in todays NFL. A player may be gone after year 4 so they need to contribute from the git go.

Rookie WRs don't usually contribute that much, so I am having a hard time understanding why drafting a WR is so much more preferable.

That may (or may not) be true in general, but you always have to consider the individual player in question. Some rookie WRs are undoubtedly much more ready to contribute than others and this is an assessment that the Bills will have to make.

a player and a late round pick, yeah that happens in the NFL...where have you been

DJ Hackett is still out there and when healthy is a very good WR so to say there isnt any worthy WRs out there is a bit premature

I think if your looking for a number one reciever than a rookie more times than not is not gonna lite it up. We need a number 2 combined with a Te who can open things up, less pressure possibly higher potential for success. I think there gonna trade down though>

It looks to me that the Bills will be going WR in the draft, but also will be looking toward picking someone up closer to the start of the season, when teams are trimming their rosters. There are always suprises when rosters are being finalized, where a young upstart supplants a veteran who was not expected to be cut loose. I look for the Bills to draft 2 WR's, in what rounds, God only knows, and then look to find a veteran who can help take up the slack for a year or two while the newbies get up to speed. I'm not advocating the 11th hour stop-gap solution, but it is looking like the direction we are heading. I do respect the fact that the front office is not willing to throw around huge money to guys like Bryant Johnson who have not proven to be big impact players.

Green Bay is loaded up pretty good with receivers. I'd like to see what it would take to trade for Ruvell Martin. Someone else made a good call a few weeks back and posted about him as a possibility.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, Ruvell Martin and DJ Hackett, in that order, make the most sense for the Bills.

Astro

That's a fallacy. How'd Lee Evans do in his first year? With the amount of turnover of rosters and the disparity of actual "good" teams in this league it is far easier to make an impact than it was a decade or so ago. Look at what Bowe, Boldin, Roy Williams did in their first year. The Bills offense has a hole the size of Lake Erie at that #2 receiver position. It's why Lee Evans had such a bad season, it's why Marshawn had little room to run, it's why the Bills scored the least amount of TDs in their history. What don't you understand? If the Bills select anyone other than Kelly or Sweed it will be because they outhought themselves and got cute. Considering how well they drafted last year and their renewed sense of smarts this offseason, fully expect them to make the right move and pick a nice tall WR with skills with that first pick. Kelly or Sweed will start and more than likely have success right off the bat like Mr. Lynch did. What Bills fans should really worry about is Kelly or Sweed's stock rising before the draft to the point where there's a question whether they'd be able to draft either one at 11. If Kelly runs a 4.35 we're screwed.

Agreed 100% But I like Hardy too. It seems like he is the odd man out? He is 6-6 and has all the ablility of the others. Regardless, I'll be happy with any of the 3. Deeply upset if we went any other route. I'm hoping we draft a te and 2 wr within our first 4 picks

It looks to me that the Bills will be going WR in the draft, but also will be looking toward picking someone up closer to the start of the season, when teams are trimming their rosters. There are always suprises when rosters are being finalized, where a young upstart supplants a veteran who was not expected to be cut loose. I look for the Bills to draft 2 WR's, in what rounds, God only knows, and then look to find a veteran who can help take up the slack for a year or two while the newbies get up to speed. I'm not advocating the 11th hour stop-gap solution, but it is looking like the direction we are heading. I do respect the fact that the front office is not willing to throw around huge money to guys like Bryant Johnson who have not proven to be big impact players.

Great points, I agree.