MS Walk 2008 - Believe in Miracles!

rockpile

This year's walk is dedicated to Kevin Everett, who does NOT have MS, but he has the fighting spirit that is an inspiration to all.

Rockpile with the happy feet is walking the walk again this year to raise money to try to find a cure for multiple sclerosis.

Many of you know I have MS, which is one reason I walk.

My personal MS treatment has changed from giving myself injections of Interferon B, then Copaxone, and now getting monthly IV infusions of Tysabri, a more aggressive treatment (a procedure my insurance categorizes as chemo-therapy). This is keeping my MS "somewhat stable", nearly 12 years after my initial diagnosis. Hell, I am almost a normal human being!

What is multiple sclerosis?

Remember Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley? In real life he is David Lander. I had the honor of meeting him a few years back. This is from his website :

ABOUT MS

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic, often disabling disease of the central nervous system. The National Multiple Sclerosis Society estimates that at least 400,000 people, mostly women, in the U.S. have MS. Each week, 200 new cases of MS are diagnosed. Symptoms range from numbness in the limbs to paralysis or loss of vision. Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50, but the unpredictable physical and emotional effects can last a lifetime. While the progress, severity and specific symptoms of MS in any one person cannot be predicted, advances in research and treatment are giving hope to those affected by the disease.

Message from David L. Lander

When I was first diagnosed with multiple sclerosis back in 1984, there was nothing you could do about it. Doctors would say, "diagnose and adios." Now, there are treatments available to control this progressive disease. If you have MS, discuss with your doctor how treatments can help you alter the long term course of your disease.

His autobiography Fall Down Laughing - How Squiggy Caught MS and Didn't Tell Nobody is a great description of what it FEELS like to have MS.

This year once again my fantastic family and friends are joining me in the Walk.

From 2002 to 2005, we collected donations of about $1,600 total.

In 2006 alone you helped us raise $1,020 !!!

In 2007 my team raised $1,880 - and I (YOU) made the individual Top 100 Club for Western NY!

MOST OF THESE FUNDS WERE RAISED RIGHT HERE AT TWO BILLS DRIVE!

You humble me. :lol:

This year our goal is $2008.

If you are so inclined, I would appreciate any donation you care to make. NO amount is too small (or too large, heh).

At least check out my web page (see my signature) and wish me luck!

tom / rockpile - older than dirt and twice as ugly.

Since I'm such a tightwad, I have to ask this. How much money do you "lose" with credit card donations and how much goes directly to you? Are there any CC processing fees that you lose out on, in which case sending a check would be better?

CW

Since I'm such a tightwad, I have to ask this. How much money do you "lose" with credit card donations and how much goes directly to you? Are there any CC processing fees that you lose out on, in which case sending a check would be better?

CW

None of it comes to me. All donations are directly to the MS Society.

I am not aware of any fees.

<edit> if you are not sure you can make a pledge and send a check directly to the NMSS.

My sister in law is doing this as well in NC. I donated to her already but I made a small donation anyways....Every bit counts.

Good Luck!

Tom

Thanks! It does not matter whose name is counted for the donation. :devil:

The important thing is that we all take a minute to pay back a portion of our blessings to help any good cause (money, time, kindness - it all counts!).

As a way to boost contributions I will Send anyone that donates $25 or more a subscription to ESPN the magazine(or something diff't if you already get it)...PM me your address and I will set it up...I will use the honor system here, so if you already donated let me know...thanks and I will be sending a donation later today or tomorrow...I hope you dont mind this Tom...

As a way to boost contributions I will Send anyone that donates $25 or more a subscription to ESPN the magazine(or something diff't if you already get it)...PM me your address and I will set it up...I will use the honor system here, so if you already donated let me know...thanks and I will be sending a donation later today or tomorrow...I hope you dont mind this Tom...

I appreciate the help! If you have any questions, I have the donor list, but I doubt you will need it! :thumbsup:

We are now at $800 ! :beer:

How the hell did this get to Page 2?

Rock, I've been slammed of late, but I'm in. Stand by.

I am at 54% of my goal. I was saving you for the second half! :blink::D

Total is up to $1,125. Thank you all...

Prizes start this weekend - simple but cool Bills stuff.

This is a bump with a twist.

As a small incentive to get some more sponsors before May 4th, I am going to do a drawing this weekend for Bills team yearbooks - the oldest is 1989.

The way it works is this: ANYONE who donates at least $10 to the MS Walk on my page (see my sig) by midnight Saturday will be eligible for one of four prizes. Names will be pulled from a hat, and winners announced Sunday April 20th.

Next week there will be more prizes and more winners. Some will be autographed items.

There will also be a grand prize announced the day of the walk, but I am not saying what it is yet!

A full list of all items will be announced later this week.

Thanks to all! With some pledges made off line that will be posted on my MS Walk page, the total is over $1,200. :rolleyes:

Sponsor Rewards Bonus!

Current Prize list:

1989 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Last year before Super Bowl Run - lots of stars!

1992 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Autographed by Glenn Parker, Henry Jones, Phil Hanson

2000 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Autographed by Jeremy McDaniel, Shawn Price, Chris Mohr

2002 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook.

2003 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook.

2004 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook.

2006 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook.

12/3/2006 Bill Digest Official Game Day Program (vs San Diego)

2004 Training Camp Keepsake Guide (50 pg) Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

2006 Training Camp Keepsake Guide (50 pg) Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

HOW IT WORKS:

ANYONE who donates - or has already donated - at least $10 to the MS Walk on my page (see my sig) by NOON Sunday April 20 EST will be eligible for one of FIVE prizes (yeah I changed the rules a little). Donor Names and Prizes will be pulled from a hat, and winners announced Sunday April 20th.

NEXT WEEK

Next week there will be more prizes and more winners.

There will also be a grand prize announced the day of the walk, but I am not saying what it is yet!

Oh, by the way - collected sponsor total is up to $1,485 and as now I am the #1 individual sponsor in the Rochester Chapter- Thanks to YOU!

Sponsor Rewards Bonus!

Current Prize list:

1. Brian F 1989 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Last year before Super Bowl Run - lots of stars!

2. Rev and Rich 1992 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Autographed by Glenn Parker, Henry Jones, Phil Hanson

3. The Tomcat 12/3/2006 Bill Digest Official Game Day Program (vs San Diego)

4. Art in RTP 2004 Training Camp Keepsake Guide (50 pg) Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

5. Fezmid 2004 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook.

Next week:

2000 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Autographed by Jeremy McDaniel, Shawn Price, Chris Mohr

HOW IT WORKS:

ANYONE who donates - or has already donated - at least $10 to the MS Walk on my page (see my sig) by NOON Sunday April 20 EST will be eligible for one of FIVE prizes (yeah I changed the rules a little). Donor Names and Prizes will be pulled from a hat, and winners announced Sunday April 20th.

NEXT WEEK

Next week there will be more prizes and more winners.

Oh, by the way - collected sponsor total is now $1,585 and for now I am the #1 individual sponsor in the Rochester Chapter- Thanks to YOU!

Folks,

He's $123 away from his goal of $2008 with one week to go. Surely there are a few more who can help out, no?

I am officially in the Rochester Chapter Top 100 Club and will get VIP parking. That is good because sometimes the parking is a mile from the starting line. But MS does not own me, and I will make it on the "long" walk - about 6 miles. I have been walking 20 minute miles on a two mile course to get in shape.

If they take pictures, I will be wearing my Two Bills Drive cap! Current total is $1,885.

I just got in a couple boxes with a Travis Henry autographed football with a cert of authenticity, some large uncut football card sheets, and some other magazines from Bob Lamb. Those will get inventoried and added to the prize list in a day or two. That is why I held off on the weekly drawing. That and a distraction called the NFL Draft!

Next drawing Sunday will be May 4th - after the walk!

HOW IT WORKS:

ANYONE who donates - or has already donated - at least $10 to the MS Walk on my page (see my sig) by NOON Sunday May 4th EST will be eligible for one of about TEN prizes. Donor Names and Prizes will be pulled from a hat, and winners announced Sunday or maybe Monday if I am wiped out.

This week is your last chance to get your name on the prize list.

Partial list:

Last week's winners:

1. Brian F 1989 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Last year before Super Bowl Run - lots of stars!

2. Rev and Rich 1992 Buffalo Bills Official Team Yearbook. Autographed by Glenn Parker, Henry Jones, Phil Hanson

4. Art in RTP 2004 Training Camp Keepsake Guide (50 pg) Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

THIS deserves a bump. I donated over $25 myself, so I am getting ESPN the magazine.

What are you all waiting for??

THIS deserves a bump. I donated over $25 myself, so I am getting ESPN the magazine.

What are you all waiting for??

So for a $25 donation, you can get ESPN magazine for a year AND a chance to win some cool Bills stuff?

Imagine...if two more people...just TWO people...gave $25 each, not only would they have a chance for cool stuff, but you'd also exceed your goal!!

Just two people.

Ahem..

The MS Walk 2008 Campaign is now $2012 - you have greatly exceeded my expectations!! :wallbash:

I am in a good mood so I am giving some stuff away today:

Trading Cards:

1. 1990 NFL Pro Set (Pro Bowl) Shane Conlan - 85 Walks/Joe F

2. 1984 Topps Frank Lewis - Taro t

3. 1984 Topps Jerry Butler - gringo

4. 1981 Curtis Brown - todd

5. 1988 Topps Bruce Smith - Matt in KC

Next drawing Sunday May 4th - after the walk!

HOW IT WORKS:

ANYONE who donates - or has already donated - at least $10 to the MS Walk on my page (see my sig) by NOON Sunday May 4th EST will be eligible for prizes. Donor Names and Prizes will be pulled from a hat, and winners announced Sunday or maybe Monday if I am wiped out. <_<

YOU CAN WIN MORE THAN ONCE!!

As I add goodies, you can still win NEW stuff. IF you won and do NOT want it - please PM me.

This week REALLY is your last chance to get your name on the prize list.

Partial Prize list:

I will be adding more Bills cards : Bruce Smith, Kent Hull, Shane Conlan, Marv Levy, Leonard Smith... and MORE

From Bob Lamb:

* UNCUT card set sheets

* An autographed Travis Henry - Wilson Football (with certificate)

* TV Guide Sets with Bills and Sabres on the cover

PLUS a bunch of GREAT cards from 1972 including:

Lance Alworth

Dick Butkus

Mel Gray

Bubba Smith

John Riggins and at least a dozen or so more from 1972!

AND MORE!!!!

Last week's winners:

How was the walk, Rock?

Everything went very well, thanks! I am waiting for some pictures I can post. There were thirteen of us all together, and the final total was $2,072 raised!

Had THREE generations of "rockpiles" with me! :P

I am going to do one final thread with "prize" winners and some photos, but it may take until the latter part of the week.

Here is some info from my "blog" King Harvest Has Surely Come

Thanks again to all. :)

Grandpa Rock