Financial question

zevo

Hi guys. I will be graduating in May had a few questions regarding my student loans. I will leaving scholl with a total loan amount of around $85,000. About 60 of it is consolidated at 4.75% interest and the rest is at the fixed current interest rate of 6.8%. I also have roughly $32,000 of my money that I am earning 4.5% interest on. I chose to go with the 10 year repayment plan in which my monthly payments will be roughly 900$ a month for the next 10 years. I know it seems like a lot but I will be graduating as a pharmacist and will be able to handle those payments out of the gate. But my question is should I be aiming to pay off the loans as fast as I can or should I just make my monthly payments for the next 10 years and help build good credit. Should I take the money i currently have and pay back as much as I can? I would really like to know what you financial guys think. Thanks alot as I really have no idea how to approach this.

Consult a qualified financial consultant NOW and start planning for your retirement NOW. Learn about Roth IRA's NOW. Do not take your financial advise off of a Bills discussion board. You've already received some crappy advise and you're likely to get more.

Bingo!!

I was going to offer advice, but a simple consultation with a financial advisor will help. With what you have presented, he will guide you over this hump as a freebie, going forward he will work to make sure you have a stable growth and ROI as you get older.

Keeping debt does not really increase your credit any. Go to http://www.myfico.com to get some more info.

Pay it off as soon as possible BUT make sure you keep enough in savings in case you have trouble getting a job, get into an accident and have to take a lot of time off of work, etc, etc. The general rule is 3-6 months post-tax salary. Once you have the nestegg, pay off the rest of the debt ASAP (but don't skimp on 401(k), ROTH, etc)

CW

Hi guys. I will be graduating in May had a few questions regarding my student loans. I will leaving scholl with a total loan amount of around $85,000. About 60 of it is consolidated at 4.75% interest and the rest is at the fixed current interest rate of 6.8%. I also have roughly $32,000 of my money that I am earning 4.5% interest on. I chose to go with the 10 year repayment plan in which my monthly payments will be roughly 900$ a month for the next 10 years. I know it seems like a lot but I will be graduating as a pharmacist and will be able to handle those payments out of the gate. But my question is should I be aiming to pay off the loans as fast as I can or should I just make my monthly payments for the next 10 years and help build good credit. Should I take the money i currently have and pay back as much as I can? I would really like to know what you financial guys think. Thanks alot as I really have no idea how to approach this.

Here are two options; one risky, one not.

Minimal risk: follow JSP's recommendation and pay off the 6.8% fixed rate loan with your "own" money. It's always better to pay off a higher interest loan with funds making less. That would leave you with a payment of $630/mo. Throw the remainder of the cash into a mutual fund and add to it on a montly basis.

Risky option: Throw the $32k into a mutual fund. If it earns the historical average of about 12%, then in about 4.3 years you'll have an amount equal to what you owe. Pay it off, then put the majority of your $920 loan payment into the MF. Current problem with this strategy is we're near the peak of a cycle. If there's a significant market correction after you've thrown the $32K in, you're screwed.