FYI Myth Busted

eSJayDee

Being among the 80% of guys mentioned in a joke thread below (or above, depending on when you read this), I just HAD to see if mixing bleach w/ brake fluid creates smoke.

I'm sorry to report that it does not. :lol:

Note that I used generic bleach as opposed to the Clorox brand mentioned, but I did try DOT 3, 4 and 5 type brake fluids.

Just an observation that the DOT 5 like seperates & looks kinda cool like vinegar & oil salad dressing.

DISCLAIMER : Please note that I wore protective eyewear & a respirator while performing these experiments.

Being among the 80% of guys mentioned in a joke thread below (or above, depending on when you read this), I just HAD to see if mixing bleach w/ brake fluid creates smoke.

I'm sorry to report that it does not. :bag:

Note that I used generic bleach as opposed to the Clorox brand mentioned, but I did try DOT 3, 4 and 5 type brake fluids.

Just an observation that the DOT 5 like seperates & looks kinda cool like vinegar & oil salad dressing.

DISCLAIMER : Please note that I wore protective eyewear & a respirator while performing these experiments.

:lol:

Reminds me of high school, when a classmate and I were persuing the Anarchists' Cookbook. We came across the recipe for mustard gas (mix Clorox and something else - I forget what).

He comes in the next morning: "It didn't work".

"What didn't work."

"The mustard gas. I mixed it in a pail and took a deep breath, and nothing happened."

:lol:

I'm sorry to report that it does not. ^_^

Adam and Jamie would be proud.

Mix it with ammonium nitrate and report back.

It WILL NOT work with regular bleach...you need chlorine to make it smoke and produce a red flame. That is the chemical reaction that takes place. I know for a fact it works because I've done it numerous times before.

Someone said that powdered pool chlorine works best. Try that. Also WVUFootball reports he has made it work.

It WILL NOT work with regular bleach...you need chlorine to make it smoke and produce a red flame. That is the chemical reaction that takes place. I know for a fact it works because I've done it numerous times before.

How long did it burn and how bright ? How much smoke ? I might be tempted to try it myself ! ^_^

it burns red for about 5-10 seconds and its pretty bright...looks a lot like a road flare.

Here's the directions for how we used to do it:

Take an empty and dry 2 litre pop bottle.

Pour in 1/4 of a bottle of brake fluid...DOT 3 is what I used

Add 1/2 package powdered chlorine used for swimming pools....Shock It works the best I've found...85% chlorine

stand back and give it a min or 2 for the chemical reaction to take place...enjoy.

Now I say a DRY empty pop bottle for a reason. If there is still pop in there when you try to make the bomb...it WILL melt the plastic and turn the thing into a projectile...I know this from experience.

Do not put the cap on the bottle...unless you do not favor your life and like looking like a leper from chemical burns. It will explode and covers a great deal of area.

Police frown upon bomb making in the middle of public streets...so pick somewhere out of the way.

.....Police frown upon bomb making in the middle of public streets...so pick somewhere out of the way.

But they're OK with bomb making if done somewhere out of the way? ^_^

But they're OK with bomb making if done somewhere out of the way? ^_^

Well, these aren't really so much bombs...unless you really over do it...but its been noted that they prefer you don't do it in the street.

:D

Reminds me of high school, when a classmate and I were persuing the Anarchists' Cookbook. We came across the recipe for mustard gas (mix Clorox and something else - I forget what).

He comes in the next morning: "It didn't work".

"What didn't work."

"The mustard gas. I mixed it in a pail and took a deep breath, and nothing happened."

^_^

Great book that.

Me and my friends preferred using silicone spray in metal tubes with a lighter attached to one end. Flamethrowing can be fun. ;)

it burns red for about 5-10 seconds and its pretty bright...looks a lot like a road flare.

Here's the directions for how we used to do it:

Take an empty and dry 2 litre pop bottle.

Pour in 1/4 of a bottle of brake fluid...DOT 3 is what I used

Add 1/2 package powdered chlorine used for swimming pools....Shock It works the best I've found...85% chlorine

stand back and give it a min or 2 for the chemical reaction to take place...enjoy.

Now I say a DRY empty pop bottle for a reason. If there is still pop in there when you try to make the bomb...it WILL melt the plastic and turn the thing into a projectile...I know this from experience.

Do not put the cap on the bottle...unless you do not favor your life and like looking like a leper from chemical burns. It will explode and covers a great deal of area.

Police frown upon bomb making in the middle of public streets...so pick somewhere out of the way.

I would caution anyone on putting something like this on the web. Flame away now. I mean, you are talking about making a bomb......

Also, I have a friend at the ATF who would love to talk to you........

I would caution anyone on putting something like this on the web. Flame away now. I mean, you are talking about making a bomb......

Also, I have a friend at the ATF who would love to talk to you........

Have him send me a message...looking for a job