Al Wilson's full page ad

Yes, but can he play MLB in the Cover-2?

That's the basic question.

Different systems require different types of players. Just because he was effective in Denver's scheme does not mean he would be in ours.

He attacks. He reads fast. He runs pretty fast. And can cover, it seems to me. That's what we're looking for.

I have Kelly's full page add from the BN thanking the fans in Buffalo when he retired hanging in my bonus room

I'm sorry, this just isn't true. If you read bills44's posts in this thread, you would know that all players from the University of Miami are thugs and would NEVER do such a thing.

We should all thank bills44 for this enlightenment, and realize that it is always best to paint with a wide brush. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out to the local campus to round up some Asian students who no doubt plan on shooting the place up today.

I'm sorry, this just isn't true. If you read bills44's posts in this thread, you would know that all players from the University of Miami are thugs and would NEVER do such a thing.

We should all thank bills44 for this enlightenment, and realize that it is always best to paint with a wide brush. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out to the local campus to round up some Asian students who no doubt plan on shooting the place up today.

I don't think that most people associate Kelly with the post-mid 80s thug image of The U.

Thank you for the enlightenment, smokinandjokin. I never knew that the actions of a subset don't necessarily mirror the actions of the whole! ^_^

We'll just have to agree to disagree then ^_^

I'm definitely with ya on this one...UThug has more problems off the field than the Bengals and Vikings would if they shared a yacht and joined a rifle club with Tank Williams.

I am, actually. The program is not comprised of choir boys, but they're a huge step above The U.

I'd say they're a small step below the U - they've been pumping out miscreants and thugs (talented ones, though) for a couple of decades going. There's a reason they went from also-ran to dominance: Charlie Garner and his many, many successors were essentally given free passes. Recent standup citizens include Albert Haynesworth, Donte Stallworth, and John "say that again, b*tch, and I'll punch you in the gut" Henderson. Moreover, I can't think of any university in recent times where the faculty who had to deal with these "student athletes" were mistreated as much.

I'd say there a small step below the U - they've been pumping out miscreants and thugs (talented ones, though) for a couple of decades going. There's a reason they went from also-ran to dominance: Charlie Garner and his many, many successors were essentally given free passes. Moreover, I can't think of any university in recent times where the faculty who had to deal with these "student athletes" were mistreated as much.

Sounds like you have personal knowledge (and a personal stake) in this, so I won't question your opinion.

Would it be safe to say, Miami holds the lead in organized self-involvement and self-entitlement among the football players who have gone pro? I don't recall pro thugs talking about "The T" as if it were a fraternity where total a total lack of discipline was not only tolerated but EXPECTED.

Sounds like you have personal knowledge (and a personal stake) in this, so I won't question your opinion.

Would it be safe to say, Miami holds the lead in organized self-involvement and self-entitlement among the football players who have gone pro? I don't recall pro thugs talking about "The T" as if it were a fraternity where total a total lack of discipline was not only tolerated but EXPECTED.

No doubt, but I'm not sure that the U players' post-draft "esprit d'corps" about their alma mater is such a knock. Re the issue in general, all of these places that go from so-so to great program (as Miami did in the early 80s) are pretty much the same, give or take an arrest or two: they start taking talented guys with very questionable backgrounds and essentially roll the dice. West Virginia is probably the latest example, but the phenomenon is pretty typical across the country (Washington State a decade or so ago, San Diego State, Colorado, etc.).

No doubt, but I'm not sure that the U players' post-draft "esprit d'corps" about their alma mater is such a knock. Re the issue in general, all of these places that go from so-so to great program (as Miami did in the early 80s) are pretty much the same, give or take an arrest or two: they start taking talented guys with very questionable backgrounds and essentially roll the dice. West Virginia is probably the latest example, but the phenomenon is pretty typical across the country (Washington State a decade or so ago, San Diego State, Colorado, etc.).

Spot on!

I guess the perception of "The U" is because Miami has been doing this (at a very high level...or low level) for many many years. They have history and marketing on their side.

As for West Virginia, well...Bob Huggins! -nuff said