Question about the draft pick value chart

Is this something that some football junkie came up with who has too much time on their hands? I can't believe that 2 GM's talking trade bring this up in negotiations...

AJ...If we do this trade you end up ahead by 50 points!

Marv...Got me there. I'll also give you our 6th and 7th round picks next year, but I hope no one knows about this chart, because now the deal is in your favor by 20 points.

AJ...DEAL!

:wallbash: :wallbash:

Is this something that some football junkie came up with who has too much time on their hands? I can't believe that 2 GM's talking trade bring this up in negotiations...

AJ...If we do this trade you end up ahead by 50 points!

Marv...Got me there. I'll also give you our 6th and 7th round picks next year, but I hope no one knows about this chart, because now the deal is in your favor by 20 points.

AJ...DEAL!

:wallbash: :wallbash:

Jimmie Johnson came up with at Dallas, and cause of the success he had with the hershal walker trade, it was accepted as gospel! Also, gives GM's a fall back position, as in 'well i got full value for that trade, even if the guy I got sucks"

Which brings me to why I love Marv as GM. He knows this is is last NFL, could give a rats ass if he has cover for his decisions. He only cares about the Bills, Right Here,Right Now.

Jimmie Johnson came up with at Dallas, and cause of the success he had with the hershal walker trade, it was accepted as gospel! Also, gives GM's a fall back position, as in 'well i got full value for that trade, even if the guy I got sucks"

Which brings me to why I love Marv as GM. He knows this is is last NFL, could give a rats ass if he has cover for his decisions. He only cares about the Bills, Right Here,Right Now.

Jimmy is a firm believer in taking drafting players at their perceived value.

He was willing then to move up or down in the draft to take players at their proper "perceived" spot.

However, he had great problems with arranging trades during teh draft because other GMs had no way to objectively value the picks so they could quickly do deals.

He came up with his chart as an objective way of valuing picks so trades could be quickly arranged. The table is a framework but they follow it pretty close. That's why 6th and 7th round picks get thrown into deals.

Note that picks in next year's draft are discounted by a round, so a 2008 #1 is equivalent to 2007 #2.

Its not a hard and fast rule - more of a guide- teams trading up usually give up a little to a lot more than the chart value - for the fan its a good guide so they don't put trades out there that are just plain silly- like well give them our two 7ths and our 1st (12th pick) for the number #1 overall.