Sabres will face either Leafs, Montreal or Islanders

millbank

The Devils can not beat the Sabres, However, it's possible the Sabres can beat the Sabres when they are playing the Devils.

Right now, with all cylinders cranking, the Sabres are the Devils worst nightmare, IMO. They just can't skate with all four Sabre lines...no team can. The problem for the Devils is, any mistake, against any line will KILL them...and they will, and do, make mistakes. Against most teams you can concentrate on the top two lines and.or the top three players. That's s#it just won't flush against the Sabres.

I'm not woofing and I know the Sabres are no lock to win it all. But, seriously, I hope the Sabres meet the Devils as I think that matchup is clearly in favor of the Sabres. The Devils do ONE thing. They do it well, but it's all they can do. When that thing doesn't work they are Royally Screwed. You saw that in the last game between the two teems.

Now Max and Connelly are back. It's just too good...SCARY GOOD! If things don't go the Sabres way (as might happen) the Sabres can adjust. If things aren't going well for the Devils, what are they going to do? Play SLOWER?

You can't stop what you can't see and you can't hit what you can't catch. The Devils are a GREAT team...three years ago. This is the new NHL and The Sabres are built for speed. Wake up and smell the chicken wings, Ed.

Yah, go optimism. It's not like being nervous/scared has been a good omen for us fans in the past, so why not?

A Devils fan on another board told me that Brodeur has really only "stolen" one series in his career (2003 vs. Ottowa). I'm not sure how true that is, but I don't see much of reason to really fear anybody. Lots of people are sweating Ottowa, but they're just a poor man's version of Buffalo, and not as good as last year to boot.

Winning at least 1 road game in every series shouldn't be too much of a problem...I just hope they can re-capture last year's postseason home dominance.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devils can not beat the Sabres, However, it's possible the Sabres can beat the Sabres when they are playing the Devils.

Right now, with all cylinders cranking, the Sabres are the Devils worst nightmare, IMO. They just can't skate with all four Sabre lines...no team can. The problem for the Devils is, any mistake, against any line will KILL them...and they will, and do, make mistakes. Against most teams you can concentrate on the top two lines and.or the top three players. That's s#it just won't flush against the Sabres.

I'm not woofing and I know the Sabres are no lock to win it all. But, seriously, I hope the Sabres meet the Devils as I think that matchup is clearly in favor of the Sabres. The Devils do ONE thing. They do it well, but it's all they can do. When that thing doesn't work they are Royally Screwed. You saw that in the last game between the two teems.

Now Max and Connelly are back. It's just too good...SCARY GOOD! If things don't go the Sabres way (as might happen) the Sabres can adjust. If things aren't going well for the Devils, what are they going to do? Play SLOWER?

You can't stop what you can't see and you can't hit what you can't catch. The Devils are a GREAT team...three years ago. This is the new NHL and The Sabres are built for speed. Wake up and smell the chicken wings, Ed.

They split the series 2-2, yet the Devs can't play with the Sabres? :thumbdown:

Both teams are healthy, so I don't want to hear "boo-hoo, the Sabres had injuries" (like losing Gionta, Elias, and Madden aren't bad enough).

The games will come down to Miller and Brodeur. Hmmm, I wonder who will step up in a big game.

The Devils won't beat the Sabres. See the most recent game, when the Sabres didn't even have Max, Connolly, or Lydman (the Devils were missing Gionta and Madden) and were playing in Jersey.

Really? That's interesting, because the game on March 28 was in Buffalo. :thumbdown:

Oops, you're right. But the Sabres have those 3 guys back while Gionta's still out, and have home ice. Not to mention they're the best road team in the NHL.

Gionta will be fine, and Madden/Elias are healthy. You have to remember, the Devs have been here how many times, compared to the Sabres? Experience counts for a ton, and honestly, whom do you trust in the third period of a tied game 7? Brodeur or Miller?

They split the series 2-2, yet the Devs can't play with the Sabres? :thumbdown:

Both teams are healthy, so I don't want to hear "boo-hoo, the Sabres had injuries" (like losing Gionta, Elias, and Madden aren't bad enough).

The games will come down to Miller and Brodeur. Hmmm, I wonder who will step up in a big game.

The Devils can beat the Sabres in an isolated game. Then they go play other crappy teams. What we're talking about here is the Devils having to face the speed and versatility of the 'Bres night after night. I think we BOTH know how that is likely to end.

The Devils could win the first game, hell they MIGHT win the first two (but, I doubt it). By the third game, these old slow bastards (the Devils, to be clear) will be puking on center ice. By game five (if it goes to five) Marty B will be waving a white flag BEGGING SOMEONE to PLEASE skate for him. By that time, I expect the Devils to be so gassed, there will be medical personnel at the ready, like at a Country Club restaurant in Miami.

I know you are afraid and so do you. A beat up and injured Sabres team made it to one game short of the finals last year. Where did the Devils end up?

So...when's the last time the Devils ended up better than the Sabres? Like I stated earlier, the Devils are a GREAT team...three years ago.

I hope you are enjoying your team's long slow descent. The Devils are built for comfort, the Sabres are built for SPEED!

:wallbash:

Leafs, but only if there was a way we could face them, but they weren't in the playoffs

I want the Leafs only because every game will be on the CBC around here so I can see each playoff game in the first round. But I don't want them to win cause I know Leafs fans, and I hate when they get cocky and gloat. Leafs fans just get on my nerves sometimes.

By the way, the refs gave the leafs that game with those penalties at the end of the 2nd and start of the 3rd

So you think that Begin didn't deserve 4 minutes for slashing someone in the face with his stick.

The Habs threw the game away, and so did the coach, putting a guy who hasn't started in 3 months in such a critical game.

:thumbdown:

Ed's being a dumbass? What a surprise.

He's a Devil's fan. The great Devils fans that fill up that arena with almost 8000 spectators every night. It's !@#$ing pathetic. Such a good team in the NHL and yet their fans don't even show up to the game.

He's a Devil's fan. The great Devils fans that fill up that arena with almost 8000 spectators every night. It's !@#$ing pathetic. Such a good team in the NHL and yet their fans don't even show up to the game.

He's not even that. He's a bandwaggoner.

He's not even that. He's a bandwaggoner.

A bandwaggoner. Considering I live oh, about 30 min from CAA. Considering I've liked the Devs since I started watching hockey (late 80's). Yeah, OK, Mr. Notre Dame fan. :thumbdown:

The Devils can beat the Sabres in an isolated game. Then they go play other crappy teams. What we're talking about here is the Devils having to face the speed and versatility of the 'Bres night after night. I think we BOTH know how that is likely to end.

The Devils could win the first game, hell they MIGHT win the first two (but, I doubt it). By the third game, these old slow bastards (the Devils, to be clear) will be puking on center ice. By game five (if it goes to five) Marty B will be waving a white flag BEGGING SOMEONE to PLEASE skate for him. By that time, I expect the Devils to be so gassed, there will be medical personnel at the ready, like at a Country Club restaurant in Miami.

I know you are afraid and so do you. A beat up and injured Sabres team made it to one game short of the finals last year. Where did the Devils end up?

So...when's the last time the Devils ended up better than the Sabres? Like I stated earlier, the Devils are a GREAT team...three years ago.

I hope you are enjoying your team's long slow descent. The Devils are built for comfort, the Sabres are built for SPEED!

:thumbdown:

I love how the Sabres fans are sooooooo overconfident. Why?! You have little history, and the history you do have, you've choked.

The Sabres have a great offense yes, but your defense absolutely blows.

It's going to come down to Marty vs. Miller. I would take a one-legged Marty before Miller in a big game (considering a strong majority here wanted him gone during the season).

I love how the Sabres fans are sooooooo overconfident. Why?! You have little history, and the history you do have, you've choked.

The Sabres have a great offense yes, but your defense absolutely blows.

It's going to come down to Marty vs. Miller. I would take a one-legged Marty before Miller in a big game (considering a strong majority here wanted him gone during the season).

I love how fans with declining teams and little chance to go all the way rely on "history". Well, for the Devils, it is just that, HISTORY. That should make all the NJ fans feel better when they exit in Rd #1 or #2.

It's true the Swords need to tighten up the D some for the playoffs as they may play a team who can take advantage of mistake on D. But, the Devils aren't that team. They are old and slow and play a style that has always been boring and is now nowhere near effective as it once was.

Marty is a terrific goaltender, but our boys threw 4 by him EVEN STRENGTH the last time we played. If the games are 2-1 or 1-0, Marty has the advantage. IF the game is 4-3 or 7-4, we know who will be on top.

BTW, were ANY fans here looking to dump Marty? I know some thought he should get some rest for a few games. I certainly can't believe a "strong majority" here wanted him gone. Remarks like that and the "one-legged Marty" over Miller nonsense, tell me you know this is not a real advantageous matchup (should it happen) for NJ, so you resort to hyperbole to make a joke out of it.

Well, you are right to do so, Eddy Christ (good hockey name), it is a joke to think NJ has the advantage over the 'Bres.

I love how fans with declining teams and little chance to go all the way rely on "history". Well, for the Devils, it is just that, HISTORY. That should make all the NJ fans feel better when they exit in Rd #1 or #2.

It's true the Swords need to tighten up the D some for the playoffs as they may play a team who can take advantage of mistake on D. But, the Devils aren't that team. They are old and slow and play a style that has always been boring and is now nowhere near effective as it once was.

Marty is a terrific goaltender, but our boys threw 4 by him EVEN STRENGTH the last time we played. If the games are 2-1 or 1-0, Marty has the advantage. IF the game is 4-3 or 7-4, we know who will be on top.

BTW, were ANY fans here looking to dump Marty? I know some thought he should get some rest for a few games. I certainly can't believe a "strong majority" here wanted him gone. Remarks like that and the "one-legged Marty" over Miller nonsense, tell me you know this is not a real advantageous matchup (should it happen) for NJ, so you resort to hyperbole to make a joke out of it.

Well, you are right to do so, Eddy Christ (good hockey name), it is a joke to think NJ has the advantage over the 'Bres.

Declining? 106 points and second in the conference is hardly declining. :thumbdown:

Old? Gomez 27, Zajac 21, Parise 22, Gionta 28, Jannssen 22, Martin 26, White 29, Oduya 25, ELias 30, Langenbrunner 31. Yeah, real over the hill there. :wallbash:

What "history" is this? Last year, when they suffered a ton of injuries in the playoffs, to derail what would have been a sure SC winning season for them? That's about the best chance the Devils have of beating the Sabres, i.e. if they suffer a ton of injuries.

That's assuming the Devils don't choke again early in the playoffs, going by recent history.