Coach Eddie Robinson

Doug Williams was on several media outlets yesterday talking about his coach and mentor. Amazing man.

I had the honor of meeting Coach Robinson and Clarence "Big House" Gaines one night through one of my mentors. Gaines was like the Eddie Robinson of the hardwood and died a couple of years ago at age 81. Coach Robinson spoke that night and used a couple of concepts I will never forget...

One of his big motivators to his players was how they had to overcome adversity at every phase of their life to succeed..one of his credo's

"At Grambling, we did a lot with a little. We did it for so long that we were able to accomplish everything with nothing."

He talked a lot about will and character--he would take risks on players who had a checkered past--but only if they showed the will and work ethic to win.

Between those three people that were sitting at a dinner table for 10 that night (Dr. LeRoy Walker, Gaines and Robinson)--literally thousands of men had been guided through youth and young adulthood -- many to significant societal leadership roles. This news struck me yesterday -- not that it was unexpected -- because Coach Robinson had some time ago begun to slip-- but it caused me to call and converse with my 87 year old friend and mentor - who I hadn't talked to in about 3 months..realizing how privileged I was...

RIP Coach...with Paterno, Bowden, Rockne -- all the greats of the game in history-- you stand tall.

Doug Williams was on several media outlets yesterday talking about his coach and mentor. Amazing man.

I had the honor of meeting Coach Robinson and Clarence "Big House" Gaines one night through one of my mentors. Gaines was like the Eddie Robinson of the hardwood and died a couple of years ago at age 81. Coach Robinson spoke that night and use a couple of concepts I will never forget...

One of his big motivators to his players was how they had to overcome adversity at every phase of their life to succeed..one of his credo's

"At Grambling, we did a lot with a little. We did it for so long that we were able to accomplish everything with nothing."

He talked a lot about will and character--he would take risks on players who had a checkered past--but only if they showed the will and work ethic to win.

Between those three people that were sitting at a dinner table for 10 that night (Dr. LeRoy Walker, Gaines and Robinson)--literally thousands of men had been guided through youth and young adulthood -- many to significant societal leadership roles. This news struck me yesterday -- not that it was unexpected -- because Coach Robinson had some time ago begun to slip-- but it caused me to call and converse with my 87 year old friend and mentor - who I hadn't talked to in about 3 months..realizing how privileged I was...

RIP Coach...with Paterno, Bowden, Rockne -- all the greats of the game in history-- you stand tall.

Nice post, Joe. Sounds like a hell of a night. Thanks for sharing some of it.

I had the honor of meeting Coach Robinson and Clarence "Big House" Gaines one night through one of my mentors. Gaines was like the Eddie Robinson of the hardwood and died a couple of years ago at age 81. Coach Robinson spoke that night and use a couple of concepts I will never forget...

Man, would I have loved to be @ that function. What a treat it must've been for you.

Man, would I have loved to be @ that function. What a treat it must've been for you.

Rich--it really was. Knowing Dr. LeRoy Walker for the last 20 years has been one of the biggest treats of all. An amazing track coach, Olympic administrator, mentor. We worked very closely in 1998 and 1999 on an event -- best two years of my professional life..

Awesome. I remember my brother being all psyched when he got to meet Dr. Harry Edwards (the noted sports psychologist). He said the guy's just a phenomenal conversationalist. Not too preachy either, which I would've thought he'd be. I'll bet working w/ Dr Walker was a constant learning experience, huh? Someone w/ his credentials, I'll bet it was something else.

Awesome. I remember my brother being all psyched when he got to meet Dr. Harry Edwards (the noted sports psychologist). He said the guy's just a phenomenal conversationalist. Not too preachy either, which I would've thought he'd be. I'll bet working w/ Dr Walker was a constant learning experience, huh? Someone w/ his credentials, I'll bet it was something else.

If you haven't read the book by Charlie Gaddy, its a great story..its called An Olympic Journey: The Saga of An American Hero, LeRoy T. Walker. Charlie is a retired local news anchor in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) and does a great job of telling Doc's story in Doc's own words. The book was written after the 1996 Summer Olympic Games which were the end of Doc's 4 year reign as President of the United States Olympic Committee. Its a really quick read and really a great book.

Doc was President of the Board of the 1999 Special Olympics World Summer Games (at 80 years old) and I was the CEO of the Games Organizing Committee. It was like having my own personal Yoda for two years. I had been working in the Olympic World for 13 years prior to the Games but never as a CEO of an organizing committee...I learned so much about leadership, commitment, sheer will. He has forgotten more about life than I will ever know.

Anyway -- I digress--the book takes you through not only his athletic and coaching career but what it was like to work and grow up with Andy Young, Dr. King. Doc was the first African American to receive a doctorate from Columbia I believe--he broke a lot of barriers and still is today...it was fun to ride his coattails for two years...