Bears are asking to much

K-Gun10

I could see giving-up the Bills' 1st and getting the Bears' 3rd rounder, but no way a swap of firsts and the Bears' 4th rounder. And Jauron coached Briggs and he's a stud who in the cover-2. How could the Bills NOT be interested?

As for Turner, I see your point WRT contract. And I agree it's a big risk.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Da bears refuse a trade from the redskins of swapping first round picks for Lance Briggs imo they are bieng to stingy, because hes going to need a new contract anyways.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2823964

Stingy? Why shouldn't they be? The Bears do not really want to pay the #6 draft dollars to an unproven rookie. Remember the $$$ the Bills gave Fat Mike Williams or all the Lions draft flops? The Bears did not franchise Briggs to trade him. They would like to have him on the team for another year. (hoping to get back to the Superbowl next year) Consequently they will not trade him for any thing they perceive as below value. How about the Chargers and Turner, talk about stingy. <_<

This is when Marv should step in and offer the #12 overall pick for Briggs. That would be sweet if we could get him. <_<

Toss in the pick 37 from the Bears and then I'd do it. As allow the Bills to either get a quailty CB/WR and/or trade into the mid/late first if could convince the Bengals at pick 18 to take picks 37 and 43 and move ahead of the Titans/Giants to take Lynch or maybe Poz assuming of course the Packers passed on Lynch at pick 16.

Stingy? Why shouldn't they be? The Bears do not really want to pay the #6 draft dollars to an unproven rookie. Remember the $$$ the Bills gave Fat Mike Williams or all the Lions draft flops? The Bears did not franchise Briggs to trade him. They would like to have him on the team for another year. (hoping to get back to the Superbowl next year) Consequently they will not trade him for any thing they perceive as below value. How about the Chargers and Turner, talk about stingy. <_<

Considering that Briggs has stated that he will hold out the first 10 games of the season, I too think the Bears are being stingy. You can either take what the Redskins/another NFL team are going to give you or get nothing.

Considering that Briggs has stated that he will hold out the first 10 games of the season, I too think the Bears are being stingy. You can either take what the Redskins/another NFL team are going to give you or get nothing.

ARRRGH. It is freakin APRIL. Someone will make a deal, eventually...or he will, in all likelihood, play.

Get a freakin grip

ARRRGH. It is freakin APRIL. Someone will make a deal, eventually...or he will, in all likelihood, play.

Get a freakin grip

Is there something in my post that makes it sound like im urgent or need to "get a grip"? <_<

Is there something in my post that makes it sound like im urgent or need to "get a grip"? <_<

Ummm, perhaps THIS:

You can either take what the Redskins/another NFL team are going to give you or get nothing.
Now, let me adjust this to how it kinda reads to me:

You can either take what the Redskins/another NFL team are going to give you or get nothing.

Well, there are more teams in the NFL than the Skins, there are plenty of other options other than NOTHING, and there is always the very good chance that he will actually play for the Bears.

So, YES, your point made it seem as though they had one decision to make and they had to make it soon.

Sorry if I misinterpreted the subtleties in the post. My bad.

Ummm, perhaps THIS:

Now, let me adjust this to how it kinda reads to me:

Well, there are more teams in the NFL than the Skins, there are plenty of other options other than NOTHING, and there is always the very good chance that he will actually play for the Bears.

So, YES, your point made it seem as though they had one decision to make and they had to make it soon.

Sorry if I misinterpreted the subtleties in the post. My bad.

Ill break it down, point by point:

1. Yes, there are more teams in the NFL than the Redskins. Thus why I said in my original post "take what the Redskins/another NFL team" ...

2. Yes, if the Bears want draft picks THIS year, and for those players to make an impact THIS upcoming season, they will have to act soon.

3. Even so, im not sure how I need to "get a grip" for stating my opinion.

4. He could sit out the 10 games like he said he would, and still collect over 2 million in pay for the season.

Ill break it down, point by point:

1. Yes, there are more teams in the NFL than the Redskins. Thus why I said in my original post "take what the Redskins/another NFL team" ...

2. Yes, if the Bears want draft picks THIS year, and for those players to make an impact THIS upcoming season, they will have to act soon.

3. Even so, im not sure how I need to "get a grip" for stating my opinion.

4. He could sit out the 10 games like he said he would, and still collect over 2 million in pay for the season.

Because you said they had to take the offer or get NOTHING. Take the hit, dude. you overreacted.

Because you said they had to take the offer or get NOTHING. Take the hit, dude. you overreacted.

Alright let me rephrase for those who are sensitive about this subject:

"If the Bears would like to receive compensation of draft picks in this years draft, they should hurry up and try to strike a deal with a team instead of assuming that a team will sooner or later offer them more, knowing full well that Briggs will be a free agent at the end of next season. Furthermore knowing that Briggs can sit out the first 10 games of the season and still be paid more than $2 million dollars, and then sign on with another team who probably didn't want to trade too much for him last year due to the fact that he is now a free agent."

Better?

So Lance Briggs for the first round pick and Michael Turner for the second. I could live with that.

And neither under contract for 2008 <_<

I love Briggs and Turner, but I think that between picks given up and contracts to keep them, we don't want to try to outbid the Redskins in mortgaging the future. If we can get Turner for our #43 and sign an extension I would be very happy, but I don't see Briggs fitting in at all right now, and certainly not both.

Whatever happened to Draft Day trades?

Why the !@#$ should we throw away a chance to draft Peterson if he's there at 12 on DRAFT DAY?

We don't know YET if he'll be there, but why get sweaty palms and blow your load NOW?

Same goes for Briggs - if that's who the man-lust is for.

No, let's make all the deals three weeks ahead of the Draft and end up with one pick on the first day.

Ok, the roster will be set at RB and OLB - but then there will be ZERO opportunity to maneuver up or down in the Draft at all.

i.e., get Turner & Briggs and have only one Round 3 pick left? I can't buy into that.

"If the Bears would like to receive compensation of draft picks in this years draft, they should hurry up and try to strike a deal with a team instead of assuming that a team will sooner or later offer them more, knowing full well that Briggs will be a free agent at the end of next season. Furthermore knowing that Briggs can sit out the first 10 games of the season and still be paid more than $2 million dollars, and then sign on with another team who probably didn't want to trade too much for him last year due to the fact that he is now a free agent."

Better?

Much.

Still totally wrong, IMO, but less over-reactive.

<_<

For the bills sake I hope they realize teams don't win by trading draft picks for players. You win by building the core of your team thru the draft while signing 2nd tier free agents to build depth

Which certainly explains Belichick signing Adalius Thomas this offseason. [Apparently he's a "second tier" free agent. <_<

There's no single formula for winning. Ignoring ANY avenue available is a recipe for disaster.

Which certainly explains Belichick signing Adalius Thomas this offseason. [Apparently he's a "second tier" free agent. :wallbash:

There's no single formula for winning. Ignoring ANY avenue available is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah cause Adalius Thomas makes up the core of the patriots team :wallbash: Signing free agents is fine, trading high draft picks for restricted free agents or throwing the farm away for 1 player is not. That was really all I meant. The Pats have their core set via the draft with the likes of their defense line and offense. They can afford to go on a spending spree to win championships. The Bills have an undefined core with a lot of holes to fill. We're not one player away.

Yeah cause Adalius Thomas makes up the core of the patriots team :wallbash:

So a guy who was signed to a big dollar contract and guaranteed a starting slot isn't part of the core of the team? Was Cory Dillon when he signed there and subsequently became a big part of their championship team? What about Rodney Harrison? Yeah, that makes sense.

Signing free agents is fine, trading high draft picks for restricted free agents or throwing the farm away for 1 player is not.

What farm? The Bills have tons of cap room and no offense, but signing a big name free agent who has performed at a high level for years and is entering his athletic prime vs drafting an unproven/inexperienced first rounder who you'll also pay big money (remember Mike Williams?) is not that tough a decision.

But don't worry. Ralph's historic cheapness all but assures we aren't in the Briggs' sweepstakes - as much as he'd help us.

That was really all I meant. The Pats have their core set via the draft with the likes of their defense line and offense. They can afford to go on a spending spree to win championships. The Bills have an undefined core with a lot of holes to fill. We're not one player away.

Horsecrap. The difference between teams in sports at the highest level is mostly about confidence. The Patriots have it. The BILLS are trying to get it. A player like Briggs automatically makes your "core" significantly better. Did bringing in JP Losman and handing him the starting job have a positive effect on the team, or were there calls of "he hasn't proven anything yet" from the "core"?

So a guy who was signed to a big dollar contract and guaranteed a starting slot isn't part of the core of the team? Was Cory Dillon when he signed there and subsequently became a big part of their championship team? What about Rodney Harrison? Yeah, that makes sense.
He's a piece to puzzle when we have draftees like richard seymour, vince wilfork, ty warren, asante samuel, eugene wilson, their entire offensive line, laurence maroney, tom brady, Ben Watson. That's their "Core". The only person the pats traded for was corey dillion at which point they had already won 2 superbowls. Not exactaly similar situations. Guys like Harrison, and Thomas were available on the market. They didnt go and trade picks for those guys.

Losman is far from being a finished product and while evans is a great player he's our only playmaker. The defense is a huge work in progress and we've been waiting to field an adequate offensive line for quite some time. Right now we lack a starting caliber rb, a #1 corner, and lb's and dline are question marks. We also lack other viable receiving options, but yeah let's compare ourselves to the patriots.

What farm? The Bills have tons of cap room and no offense, but signing a big name free agent who has performed at a high level for years and is entering his athletic prime vs drafting an unproven/inexperienced first rounder who you'll also pay big money (remember Mike Williams?) is not that tough a decision.
The farm being draft picks. Lance Briggs isn't just hanging out there as an un-resticted free agent. Signing him would cost 2 1st rd draft picks. If something else could be worked out cool. I'd love to get a player the caliber of briggs.

Horsecrap. The difference between teams in sports at the highest level is mostly about confidence. The Patriots have it. The BILLS are trying to get it. A player like Briggs automatically makes your "core" significantly better. Did bringing in JP Losman and handing him the starting job have a positive effect on the team, or were there calls of "he hasn't proven anything yet" from the "core"?

Mostly about confidence? I'm pretty sure it's a game about talent specifically won in the trenches. If we have anyone compareable to the the defensive linemen the patriots have I'd sure like to know where they've been hiding on our sorry ass defenses. Or maybe a guy like Tiny Tim Anderson is really the 2nd coming of Cortez Kennedy just lacking "confidence".

My Issue about trading draft picks isn't really about briggs. As I said previously Lance Briggs is a tremendous player, who is probably one if not the best coverage lb currently in the game. If something could be worked out where we are not trading 2 1st rd picks for the guy I'd do it. I still would under no circumstance trade a 1st and 3rd rd draft pick for a backup rb who was a 5th rd pick coming out of college.

He's a piece to puzzle when we have draftees like richard seymour, vince wilfork, ty warren, asante samuel, eugene wilson, their entire offensive line, laurence maroney, tom brady, Ben Watson. That's their "Core". The only person the pats traded for was corey dillion at which point they had already won 2 superbowls. Not exactaly similar situations. Guys like Harrison, and Thomas were available on the market. They didnt go and trade picks for those guys.

Nah, they traded picks for Wes 'friggin'" Welker. Their offensive line is as good as Tom Brady makes them (which is enhanced by the fact that they're almost never called for a penalty, much less in a key situation with the game on the line).

Losman is far from being a finished product and while evans is a great player he's our only playmaker. The defense is a huge work in progress and we've been waiting to field an adequate offensive line for quite some time. Right now we lack a starting caliber rb, a #1 corner, and lb's and dline are question marks. We also lack other viable receiving options, but yeah let's compare ourselves to the patriots.

So lets ignore really good players who've played for our coach, know the system, and are proven NFL playmakers. You know, in favor of college players who're far more likely to bust.

The Patriots have plenty of questions of their own - just like every other NFL team.

The farm being draft picks. Lance Briggs isn't just hanging out there as an un-resticted free agent. Signing him would cost 2 1st rd draft picks. If something else could be worked out cool. I'd love to get a player the caliber of briggs.

Who advocated signing him? He's available for a trade. The question is what price? One first rounder? I'd say yes, but Briggs has made it clear he won't play for the Bears and that hurts their side. Flop first rounders? I think that's a fair scenario.

Mostly about confidence? I'm pretty sure it's a game about talent specifically won in the trenches. If we have anyone compareable to the the defensive linemen the patriots have I'd sure like to know where they've been hiding on our sorry ass defenses. Or maybe a guy like Tiny Tim Anderson is really the 2nd coming of Cortez Kennedy just lacking "confidence".

Sure. That's why we physically slapped the crap out of New England in the season opener, despite the fact that they have a proven system, with little change, while we had essentially a rookie QB, a new offense for pretty much the third straight season, a completely new defense, etc. Because we have no talent. That's such a BS argument and I'm extraordinarily tired of it.

BTW, if the game was "essentially won" in the trenches, no one would stop the Minnesota Vikings. Yet somehow that really talented team of high round draft choices with proven talent failed to even make the playoffs. That "argument" is oversimplification at its finest.

My Issue about trading draft picks isn't really about briggs. As I said previously Lance Briggs is a tremendous player, who is probably one if not the best coverage lb currently in the game. If something could be worked out where we are not trading 2 1st rd picks for the guy I'd do it. I still would under no circumstance trade a 1st and 3rd rd draft pick for a backup rb who was a 5th rd pick coming out of college.

No one is advocating either thing, nor have the BILLS shown any willingness to. Trust me, if they had offered the Chargers a first and third, Turner would already be a BILL.

Which certainly explains Belichick signing Adalius Thomas this offseason. [Apparently he's a "second tier" free agent. :wallbash:

Good post. We agree on something.

Better?

The Bears would rather have him on their team than trade him this year. They want to get back to the SUPERBOWL. Even though he said he would sit out 10 games when the time comes who knows? The Bears can also franchise him next year, and they could threaten to do so if he sits out or perhaps they tell him they won't franchise him next year if he reports and plays all 16 games. Much as the Bills did with Clements. 0:)